• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

55 GR and 25.7 H335, your thoughts?

AR-10 Shooter

Minuteman
Dec 1, 2004
Virginia
Finally got out to the range today to check my load development for 55 GR .223 Best accuracy at 100 yards was with 25.7 gr of H335. According to the "books" this is a hot load but there were no flattened primers or swipes.

Morgery, 16"
Win brass
Win 55gr FMJ

What do you guys think?

Re: 55 GR and 25.7 H335, your thoughts?

I've always had good luck with loads similar to this. That does seem a little hot but with no pressure signs your alright. I like h335 and w748 also.

My thoughts are its too hot. Is this out of a gas gun???... if so do a mag dump then check to see what they look like out of a hot gun. I had a barrel in the past do fine slow fire but as soon as it got hot it would start poping primers out. This was using M-193.

My personal max is 25.3 for h335 and a 55grn bullet. I have also started using benchmark with pretty good success using 25 gns.

Hope thats helpful.
Ren

I run the same w/24.5gr of H335 and is shoots great. I'm not sure of the advantage of running that hot. Just more wear on the barrel. Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My thoughts are its too hot. Is this out of a gas gun???... if so do a mag dump then check to see what they look like out of a hot gun. I had a barrel in the past do fine slow fire but as soon as it got hot it would start poping primers out. This was using M-193.

My personal max is 25.3 for h335 and a 55grn bullet. I have also started using benchmark with pretty good success using 25 gns.

Hope thats helpful.
Ren

</div></div>

Same here; 25.3gr of H335 and 55gr FMJ

What primer are you using? How are the groups?

The load is a max 5.56 load. My only question would be does it have an advatage in the shorter barrel?

The primers used were CCI 450. I shot round robin the following,
I was surprised that 25.7 was the only load that was acceptable with so many shooting 25,25.3 and 25.3.
CT

I load 25.3 of H335 (seems like a popular choice) with Hornady 55gr fmj. One thing I have noticed is that it is temperature sensitive. Take your 25.7 load out on a hot day and see what happens before you load too many of them. If you don't have a hot day just leave a few rounds on the dashboard of your vehicle in the sun.