• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 550 cord around scope tube?

rogue308

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2009
TX
I've been seeing this lately and can't for the life of me figure out what the purpose is.

Re: 550 cord around scope tube?

I've seen it used to hold the bikini covers on... Like a nightforce's.

I have seen rubber bands around the scope used for attaching foliage to help blend in the rifles optics with the surounding enviroment. So i can only go with the assumption that 550 cord could be used for the same thing.

Typically it's tied to Nightforce bikini scope covers to keep track of them or a laminated dope card so it's right there when you need it.

having lost n.f. bikini covers before i guess i can see that. i thought about the foilage thing but i've always used rubber bands and a birds nest. to me that's easier. thanks for the responses guys.

Try using a boot band... I think that'll work better. Hold on your covers and you can stick stuff in it.

I put my dope on small DA cards and hang them from all my long range rifles. I tend to forget anything and everything so if it's not attached to the rifle it gets left behind.

DSCN0917.jpg

I was always taught to use girls hair bands(like rubber bands but fabric covered) to attach veg. They come in black,brown,and green and hold up better than rubber bands. 550 cord would be used to attach or keep something attached. I drill a hole in all our anti-cant device caps and attach it to the scope with 550 cord,haven't lost one yet! TJR

I don't remember where I saw it but I assume it was here on the Hide, where a guy completely wrapped his scope in 550 cord and left little loops to tie in veg. I believe he used O.D. and tan to add camo to the scope. It looked really cool, but I worried what would happen if it got wet.

Trocar is his screen name. Great guy from MS, I've shot with him a couple of times at matches. Very cool looking application for 550 cord.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't remember where I saw it but I assume it was here on the Hide, where a guy completely wrapped his scope in 550 cord and left little loops to tie in veg. I believe he used O.D. and tan to add camo to the scope. It looked really cool, but I worried what would happen if it got wet.</div></div>

I use 550 cord for both my NF and S&B scopes to hold the bikini caps as I don;t like using butler creeks if i can help it. So, tying the caps with the 550 cord you just let them hang on the side and they stay down and out of the way.

Might have seen this picture recently
hornady178-588x390.jpg

Or probably in any of my videos, because we do it this way on 99% of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't remember where I saw it but I assume it was here on the Hide, where a guy completely wrapped his scope in 550 cord and left little loops to tie in veg. I believe he used O.D. and tan to add camo to the scope. It looked really cool, but I worried what would happen if it got wet. </div></div>

Got a picture of that? Sounds different...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 550 cord for both my NF and S&B scopes to hold the bikini caps as I don;t like using butler creeks if i can help it. So, tying the caps with the 550 cord you just let them hang on the side and they stay down and out of the way.

Might have seen this picture recently
hornady178-588x390.jpg

Or probably in any of my videos, because we do it this way on 99% of them. </div></div>

Why poo poo the Butler Creek caps? I thought they were the standard . . . Curious? (If LL says, there must be a good reason.)

I still use the butler creeks, but I also have lost track of how many sets of them I've lost.

Butler Creeks are ok, but if you are using an NXS, the ocular cap precludes you from adjusting the magnification without interference. I use both the bikinis and butlers with my NXS's, but I end up ripping off the ocular cap for the duration of the range trip.