• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

556 Cans

AngryKoala

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2020
Well guys,

I went full retard and bit the hype on a few cans which host other guns. I have a CGS helios, TBAC dominus SR and a couple RC2s. RC2 was fine on a Geissele 11.5, little gassy. The dominus SR and helios QD weren't that impressive (RC2 was better, gas/sound). I'm kind of wondering of those would be better suited on a 30 cal.

I just grabbed a LMT specwar (Praying for no barrel cant). I'm going to grab the 12.5 barrel and ebcg. As far as cans go all I have is high back pressure cans (Helios has the vent but it's meh).

I know surefire has the RC3 but their price tag is fucken dumb.

Recommendations for good sound reduction/tone, flash suppression, and possibly weight?

5.56_MK18_suppression_plot_6.129_wm.png

Yea I saw that but I feel like CAT is the new CGS. Relatively new company being pimped as the next greatest. This shit happened when I bought a hyperion and helios and come to find out the helios is not as great as touted for 556. Granted, that was before the numbers were released (my fault).

I also think Pew science does a great job but doesn't consider tuning or suppressor degradation (outside the scope of his testing).

I’m surprised you don’t like the Helios QD, I’ve never put it on any of my SBRs but i bounce it between a couple hunting rifles and my untuned 556 16” AR shooting hornady superformance as my coyote gun. I have around 15 cans so for me to bounce one around says a lot, I actually bought a second one so I could stop whoring it around. Both are the titanium QD version and I’ve never bothered trying the vented end cap. Hopefully I can get back into town early enough today to pick it and a flow 556k up that both got approved last week.

I’m surprised you don’t like the Helios QD, I’ve never put it on any of my SBRs but i bounce it between a couple hunting rifles and my untuned 556 16” AR shooting hornady superformance as my coyote gun. I have around 15 cans so for me to bounce one around says a lot, I actually bought a second one so I could stop whoring it around. Both are the titanium QD version and I’ve never bothered trying the vented end cap. Hopefully I can get back into town early enough today to pick it and a flow 556k up that both got approved last week.

I don't have the TI version but it wasn't great on a 11.5. The vented cap helped but the RC2 outperformed it subjectively.

Probably going to end up with a flow 556k or maybe the hx-qd can. Not really sure which one is better.

The newer CAT cans sound promising but they are relatively new. I don't really want to go down that road again.

I really wanted a Flow 556k but now they have the Ventum that’s hub compatible I’m thinking it. Have have dead air breaks in all my stuff already.

I'm not sure what it meters, but a Abel Theorem/Theorem-S with a vented cap could be worth considering.

I firmly believe the Griffin explorr line is the best general purpose 556 can. The dedicated taper mount version is like 9.5oz and the hub version comes in at 9oz without an adapter. Xeno, plan a, and plan b adapters put it around 11oz.

Pretty low back-pressure, good signature reduction, light weight. It's a seriously well rounded can

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Ryan from otter creek labs was in my squad this weekend at QP finale and whatever can he was running had a very nice tone. Call him!

I really wanted a Flow 556k but now they have the Ventum that’s hub compatible I’m thinking it. Have have dead air breaks in all my stuff already.

I don't mind buying the brake, doesn't bother me I had to do it for surefire, dead air, TBAC so what's another one.

I don't have the TI version but it wasn't great on a 11.5. The vented cap helped but the RC2 outperformed it subjectively.

Probably going to end up with a flow 556k or maybe the hx-qd can. Not really sure which one is better.

The newer CAT cans sound promising but they are relatively new. I don't really want to go down that road again.

I’m excited to see how the flow 556k sounds against my Helios, it might replace it since the Helios could be utilized better elsewhere but I might just stick the flow on a general purpose 556. I also have a flow 762 in jail but it’ll be early next year till I see it.

The cat stuff sounds interesting but I won’t be an early adopter. The guys act like complete twats which is enough to keep me from buying even if they are the greatest thing ever.

I’m excited to see how the flow 556k sounds against my Helios, it might replace it since the Helios could be utilized better elsewhere but I might just stick the flow on a general purpose 556. I also have a flow 762 in jail but it’ll be early next year till I see it.

The cat stuff sounds interesting but I won’t be an early adopter. The guys act like complete twats which is enough to keep me from buying even if they are the greatest thing ever.

Yup, they do. I think the helios would perform better as a larger caliber can. I haven't tried it on a 30 cal but that seems to be the general consensus.

Last edited:

What is this CAT company? Is that an acronym for something?

Yup, they do. I think the helios would perform better as a larger caliber can. I haven't tried it on a 30 cal but that seems to be the general consensus.

It’s my favorite hunting can, performs great on a 20” and 22” 6.5prc. I think the 2nd Helios is goin on a 22” 7prc. For its size and weight I don’t think I’d be disappointed in anything I put it on.

Interesting website.

Looks like redditors and arfcomers are the crowd they are trying to appeal to...

Pretty much. The pew science results look really good but as a company they are autistic.
Arfcom booted them almost immediately when they spammed a bunch of new accounts simultaneously pushing CAT and PEW. I think the CAT account had a Chinese I.P. address and actively avoided the question about being affiliated with a Chinese company that got linked to them.

It’s my favorite hunting can, performs great on a 20” and 22” 6.5prc. I think the 2nd Helios is goin on a 22” 7prc. For its size and weight I don’t think I’d be disappointed in anything I put it on.

That's what a bunch of people have been saying but it isn't really that great of an option for a shorty 556, even with the vent. A low back pressure can is the way to go.

Reactions: kthomas and Jnull
That's what a bunch of people have been saying but it isn't really that great of an option for a shorty 556, even with the vent. A low back pressure can is the way to go.

I have an 11.3” 556 I’ll try the flow on, I currently have one of my regrettable cans a saker 556 on it since anything is going to be loud, even with an adjustable gas block and JP SCS.

Reactions: AngryKoala
Griffin’s new Recce 5K is a good option, especially if you’re on a budget. It’s not a flow-through can but it’s low backpressure. Here is my review of it. I’m also working on a review of the OCL Polonium K—impressive performance from such a little can. It’s not low back pressure, though.

Interesting website.

Looks like redditors and arfcomers are the crowd they are trying to appeal to...

Both of those places hate them actually lol
They didn't like being trolled and told "no" when people demanded to know who they were and their specific background.

CAT did some trolling making fun of some other companies and some of their policies and advertising. They did not name specific companies but it was a if you know you know type of thing.

They haven't even technically launched yet. Just released some preliminary info and data.

They wanted pewscience data released for everything and also want to get some silencers in some reviewers/testers hands as well prior to launch.

I don't particularly like the names but I plan on buying numerous silencers from them based on preliminary info.

Their Ti and inconel silencers weight and size is impressive.

To the op, I love my helios qd ti on almost everything I've put it on. The RC2 is like the gold standard of short barrel 556 silencers. The helios isn't as good on short barrels but I'm still a fan. Great balance of backpressure and sound. Also under rapid fire I find the helios doesn't gas stack like a lot of other 556 cans. It remains incredibly consistent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jnull and kthomas
Both of those places hate them actually lol
They didn't like being trolled and told "no" when people demanded to know who they were and their specific background.

CAT did some trolling making fun of some other companies and some of their policies and advertising. They did not name specific companies but it was a if you know you know type of thing.

They haven't even technically launched yet. Just released some preliminary info and data.

They wanted pewscience data released for everything and also want to get some silencers in some reviewers/testers hands as well prior to launch.

I don't particularly like the names but I plan on buying numerous silencers from them based on preliminary info.

Their Ti and inconel silencers weight and size is impressive.

To the op, I love my helios qd ti on almost everything I've put it on. The RC2 is like the gold standard of short barrel 556 silencers. The helios isn't as good on short barrels but I'm still a fan. Great balance of backpressure and sound. Also under rapid fire I find the helios doesn't gas stack like a lot of other 556 cans. It remains incredibly consistent.

Their pew science looks good it's not world's better than the 556k, I would rather wait and see.

Their pew science looks good it's not world's better than the 556k, I would rather wait and see.

The thing to remember about the flow556k is that around reflective surfaces it's not going to be very quiet.

I shoot almost entirely in the free field out in the desert, in that setting its great. At public ranges near a bunch of walls, overhead covers, berms, etc it's quite a bit louder. Inside it's noticeably louder than some other cans.

Reactions: AngryKoala