• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

556 or 7.62x39

bruceknoch

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
I'm about to buy a Sig 556 in either the Swat Classic 556 or the New Russian in the 7.62x39. I live in a wooded area, and other than target shooting and three gun, I'm eyeing this as my home defense weapon in case it all goes wrong. Aside from ammo availability, are there any compelling reasons to go with one caliber over the other? I imagine that engagements are going to be 100-200 yds, maybe 300 at the limit.
I know that 7.62x39 hits harder, but maybe the lack of reach and lack of bullet variety nullify this altogether.

Please help.

Re: 556 or 7.62x39

If you want to shoot alot of 3gun I would recommend the 5.56. The added recoil of the 7.62x39 will slow you down.

+1 on the 223. Also if you reload I think you have more options and better components.

.223. Lower recoil, wide range of available ammo and components, wide use by most military and law enforcement units, and no worries about supply loss due to import bans and/or world militaries moving away from the caliber. No matter how bad it gets, there is likely to be some .223 to be had from somewhere.

I would get both, if you can, but get the .223/5.56 first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OgreOgre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about to buy a Sig 556 in either the Swat Classic 556 or the New Russian in the 7.62x39. I live in a wooded area, and other than target shooting and three gun, I'm eyeing this as my home defense weapon in case it all goes wrong. Aside from ammo availability, are there any compelling reasons to go with one caliber over the other? I imagine that engagements are going to be 100-200 yds, maybe 300 at the limit.
I know that 7.62x39 hits harder, but maybe the lack of reach and lack of bullet variety nullify this altogether.

Please help.

</div></div>

home defense weapon is more defensible when there are law enforcement agencies using ammo that is mainstream.....like a 5.56

complete you profile ....before "it all goes wrong" ....as you say

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.223. Lower recoil, wide range of available ammo and components, wide use by most military and law enforcement units, and no worries about supply loss due to import bans and/or world militaries moving away from the caliber. No matter how bad it gets, there is likely to be some .223 to be had from somewhere. </div></div>

Funny, I was going to say the same thing for 7.62x39. Its used by far more countries than 556.

Wikipedia gave me this. Soviet Union, Warsaw Pact, People's Republic of China, Cambodia, North Korea, Vietnam, Finland, Venezuela, numerous others. Essentially every non-NATO country uses it.

I feel far safer knowing that wherever the hell I go in the world, 7.62x39 is readily avaliable. You could probably dig in a farmers ditch in bulgaria, and find crates of it...

However, for 3 gun, I would use 5.56. Its got a very mild recoil impulse, and follow-up shots are easier. However, if I was doing anything else, i'd run 7.62

This "dilemma" doesn't make any sense to me. Which one is better for...whatever...5.56 or 7.62x39? Really, apples and oranges. You said, up to 300 yards, then 7.62 has the edge. You can however go with a high twist in .223 and heavy 75gr+ pills with great results. What engagements are you talking about anyway?!? When "all goes wrong," I am afraid your weapon alone will NOT be enough...

Get both if you can. If not, start with .223.

BTW, 7.62x39 is more wide-spread (50+ countries) than 5.56.

7.62x39 HAS been used by practically everybody at one time or another, true. But the 5.45x39 has replaced it in several countries, and the Chinese are also fielding a new round.

The 5.56 is in use by a large number of nations, too, including some non-NATO countries. Examples include- Australia, Austria, Belgium, the UK, China, Canada, France, Germany, India, Iran, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Phillipines, Poland, Singapore, Taiwan, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, the US, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Panama, Malaysia, Thailand, Jordan, Guatemala, the Dominican Republic, and more. Since the OP seems to be planning to use his weapon in the US, in all probability 5.56 will be more likely to be available <span style="text-decoration: underline">to him </span>in the future.

Russian military does NOT use 5.56. The closest one would be 5.45x39 which btw is a lot more effective against human flesh than 5.56...........

Right you are. I crossed up some info I saw on the 101- and 102-series AK's. They are made in 5.56 but only for export. That said, would you care to hazard a guess on how many tons of weaponry and ammunition Russia produces in a year for the .223?

I would go with the 5.56 . a more accurate round , better choice of bullets, flatter trajectory and the avalibility of surplus gi mags.

The bigger bullet.

Before I shot one, I thought they were shit, but not anymore. Both the ones I fired were accurate and reliable (in AK platform).

Ogre's planned application, if that's what we're calling it, is home defense, and playing around out to 300. The bigger round is superior to the smaller one for that. And in the exquisite Sig, the x39 should be a real Cadillac. Ammo is falling off the trucks, .30 cal bullets for handloading abound, even Lapua now produces cases, soup it up with some 8208xbr or RL 17 and if the Sig 556 has an adjustable gas piston like I think it does, stick glass on top the the part where the bolt clacks back and forth and shoot it with alot of fun...probably kick some hogs asses at 300 yards once you become accomplished with it. The more I consider this rig the more attractive it is. Don't waste time with that center-fire .22. Save that for an Ar15. The more sophisticated Sig can run the x39 better perhaps. Using a carefully selected muzzle brake this rig will run nearly as smoothly as a 5.56.
(get the popcorn lol)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right you are. I crossed up some info I saw on the 101- and 102-series AK's. They are made in 5.56 but only for export. That said, would you care to hazard a guess on how many tons of weaponry and ammunition Russia produces in a year for the .223? </div></div>

Again, military do not use 5.56. COMMERCIAL EXPORT? Yes, but I wasn't talking about that; the Russians produce tons of ammo including 5.56 Nato, yes. They also produce some 5.56/.223 rifles but not too many. As far as 5.56 being used by the military, that will never happen. And yes, some AKs and Saigas are chambered for .223, all of them are for commercial sales in Russia and abroad.

Where in the quoted post did I mention military use? And "never" is a long time. I don't personally use that word when talking about what somebody else will or won't do, but whatever floats your boat.

Like others here have said, I have chosen the .223 on the aspects of its re-loadable, weighs less and is more popular. Now to get the rifle that uses the same mags as those around you...
I went with a saiga chambered in .223 and had a mag adapter made. Now I can shoot .223, reload it and use the ar mags. but still have a few 7.62x39s laying around

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where in the quoted post did I mention military use?</div></div>

Read your own response about "non Nato" countries. Why are you then mentioning Nato if you are not talking about military? No one is talking about who produces what commercially, either. YOU chose to respond to 7.62x39 being the most widely used cartridge by listing non-Nato countries who either use or produce 5.56...who cares? So again what is your point on this? By the way, your list of "non Nato" countries contains few of Nato. Better get your facts straight...
You know what, you win.

they both kill bad guys dead. 5.56 has less recoil but 7.62X39 is still very mild recoil compared to many other calibers.

not too many law enforcment/military will be using 7.62 so if you want to count on there ammo supplies then 5.56 will be more plentiful in america if things went south.

two very different platforms so its really up to your preferance.

kenny

I was issued the 5.56 in the service.

I own the 7.62x39.

I dont play run and gun on a range but I do run and gun pigs in the tangled creek bottoms.

I suppose a comp timer sees a difference between the two weapons but for me in the woods swinging from one running oinker to another the AK swings just fine and recoil isnt an issue.

For what the original poster outlined, NOT some comp play, I'd go with 7.62. Ammo is cheap enough to buy by the short ton. From what I hear the M43 sales are so plentiful in this country you are pretty likely on picking up that ammo as any 5.56.

Why not have both? Build an AR lower and have a 223 and 762.x39 upper.

Cost wise you would be into it about the same as the Sig.

I think he wants a piston gun, good idea though AZ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not have both? Build an AR lower and have a 223 and 762.x39 upper.

Cost wise you would be into it about the same as the Sig. </div></div>

I have yet to see a 7.62x39 upper run 100% reliable out of a AR lower.