• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 556 vs 762 can on a 7.5" 223

Goin'Hot

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
Central, Ohio
I've always been of the belief that using a 308 can on a 223 is more than good enough and certainly more practical. I now have a 7.5" 223 upper that's going to dish out more abuse than my 308 can will take. I had my mind made up and was going to call my dealer this week to get a 556 Saker and yesterday, I see they are going to offer the "same can" in 762.

Other than the smaller physical dimensions, is there any true benefit of an actual 556 can over a "do it all" 762 can? I've used my 7.62 SD on my 20" AR's, 26" 220 swift and various other 6 and 6.5 mm's with good success.

I'm looking for members that actually own 556 cans and have also ran a 762 muffler on the same platform. I hate to dish out $1000 and be limited to .224 bullet diameters however, if it is truly better for the application, then I'll suck it up and do it.

I had an opportunity to hear 6-8 different cans a few weeks back in an attempt to see how .30 cans sounded on .223's. There was a mix of the latest .223 and latest .30 cans in attendance. Although I am but a sample of 1, I found the .30 suppressors to be quieter on a .223 than a dedicated .223 suppressor. -again, that's just my ears, yours might perceive things differently.

Having run both on a 11" upper (223 - and cans are Thunderbeast 30P-1 and a Yankee Hills sandstorm QD in 5.56), the Sandstorm was quieter - or seemed so to me. I was surprised by this, with the TB being the quietest 30-cal I run on every caliber so far.

Be aware that a 7.5 is LOUD!

Many manufacturers require a minimum barrel length - usually 10.5 - 11", so good that you checked.

***Check for round stability before shooting with the can. A 7.5" will not stabilize some rounds, better to find out prior to a baffle strike rather than after!

AAC warranties the 762sdn6 on 7.5 inch barrels in 5.56, but tthe M4-2000 is only covered above 10 inches. However the SDN6 seems louder to my ear

Last edited:
I am looking at the 7.62 saker if and when they get stocked. I have a tbac 30ba right now but after looking at several posts from diff people and Zak, it does not seem like a good idea to use it on my 10.5 ar. The saker appears to be able to take sbr's and supposedly 308 anything. Hopefully, it doesn't take long for them to start stocking the can.

I received a reply from AAC stating my SD is only rated for 10" and longer. So, the hunt for info is still on...

I would suggest getting the 5.56 on a 7.5". The Saker 556 has a Hoplon baffle that is build for this short of barrel specifically. The Saker 762 does not have the Hoplon. If you are going to be pushing the can hard the 556 would definitely be the best option.

I would suggest getting the 5.56 on a 7.5". The Saker 556 has a Hoplon baffle that is built for this short of barrel specifically. The Saker 762 does not have the Hoplon. If you are going to be pushing the can hard the 556 would definitely be the best option.

After talking to Josh at the SHOT show, this would be my thoughts, too.

You guys realize that there is no metal known as "Hoplon", correct? If you google it, the word refers to a Greek shield. Nothing magic going on here.

My question refers to the bullet vs. bore diameter and it's direct effect on suppression, bore wear, back pressure etc.

Hoplon is used for marketing, stating that the blast baffle is as strong as the shield to which you are referring. The material used is a ridiculously strong material called Stellite. The 556 can utilizes this unique baffle geometry for the blast baffle that makes it more suitable for SBR situations and high rate of fire applications. The Hoplon baffle is very magical by the way ;).

I've got a 7.5" Noveske upper that I run a Delta P Brevis 5.56 can on. It's a badass little setup, and not as loud as people say. I think the long barrels and high quality 30 cal cans we're all using on our precision rigs spoil us a bit. Nonetheless, I spoke with the guys at Delta about this before I bought the can and they assured me it was good to go. So far, it's been a badass combination.