• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns .578×28 tpi comp/brake

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    Typically I shoot a lot of different polymer handguns and all but one are threaded for cans.
    Just for giggles, I decided to limp into the 1911 market and for having zero past experience I'm pretty happy with the RIA Tac Ultra HC. I have no idea why the only model they make with a threaded barrel is a 10mm but I figured "what they hell, why not, I don't have a 10mm"
    Only put one box through it so far, but ran like butter. 🤷‍♂️
    Again, for giggles, I decided to start looking for a comp to use in between suppressor sessions and surprise surprise...not much out there.

I shipped it off last week for an optic cut, should have it back just before Christmas, so I don't even have the slide on hand to look at or measure but I digress.
    Any recommendations on a one or two port comp for something like this? Seems like it wouldn't be hard to just MAKE one, but that's not really my specialty either.
    Interestingly, it's threaded .578×28 (same as my FNX .45)

TAC_ULTRA_10mmThreaded_rightprofile.png
    20231115_212905.jpg

Good luck! 10mm is not a popular race gun caliber. I did a quick search and could only find these three below and no 40/10 screw on brakes or comps with that thread:

Fusion Firearms
    Rex Silentium
    Rugged Suppressors

There are a few more options out there for 10mm 1911 comps, but the comps either replace the bushing (which will require a non-threaded barrel), use a different thread size which an adapter similar to the Fusion linked above will be needed, or require a barrel threaded for 40/10 attachments.

Putting a comp on a 1911 is generally a gunsmith deal and they arent cheap. You could get another barrel and have a comp permanently attached.

By the time you are done you will have more in gunsmithing and parts than you spent on the gun.

Just run it with the can and call it good is my advice.

Get the comp you want that has that thread pattern, have a smith install it and bore it, that shouldn't be hard. Of course you could go .45 or if a guy can find 10mm...

I was looking at one of these Rock Island 10mms, I would've sent it to Skips Guns, had him smooth up the action, put in a large trigger shoe and he also throws EGW internals in it for a better trigger pull, and then had him install the comp, getting it built to run like a scalded dog.

Personally, I'd be looking to go about full race comp for it, it should have the recoil to be absorbed. 2 or three ports on top with a single side port on each side, I think they call poppler holes.

I just searched the thread pattern and compensator with 9mm, not much for 9mm actually came up but I just looked at the google images, these were easy enough to find. Shouldn't be tough to have it work on your gun, you could buy shims as well, if you want to shim it, you can also just put red loctite on it, thread it on all the way, then you back it off until it's timed, let it sit for a couple days for that red loctite to cure.

GetImage.ashx

Springer Precision has a 10mm option, yes, they're for an MP, it is the same thread pattern.

1701554307301.png

Reactions: blksno
    From 460 Rowland.com

The very similar and same thread pattern Glock compensators have the side ports too, I wouldn't shy away from asking them if they could add a side port or two for you. You could also see if they could get you one in 10mm instead of the .45... but anyway

1701555006268.png

1701555064415.png

Ok, so I emailed ZRTS because I thought, well, that compensator with a single port on each side would be something I'd like for my 2011.

For $50 they will do a side port on that twin top port compensator.

That is designed for a 1911 so it will profile to your slide just fine and therefore work with your current holsters.

They also have a 10mm option for your thread pattern, so, you can have a comp that is as effective as possible given the other features of the comp.

This would likely be the best route, I'm about 95% sure I'm going to be buying one myself, though my 2011 is a 9mm, it's actually ported, and I'd have to buy a new barrel that's threaded to do this, but I think I will. Fusion firearms may do an ultra match barrel that'll work and they're on sale...

You could also send them an email and see if they'd do something like 3 top ports with 2 side ports on each side, since you're doing this on a 10mm, but that would require them building a longer comp., they may, I don't know.

But as we sit right now, their comp with a single side port may really be just a great option for you, especially given that thread pattern.

I found that Carver one and a couple others when I started looking for options for a Glock 21.
    Figured I'd as if KKM would sell just the comp instead of the matched barrel set.

Yep, I ended up ordering a barrel and that comp with the added "popple" holes, I believe the open race gun guys call them

It's for my Bul Armory SASII Ultralight 3.25".

Should be interesting to see how flat this little gun is with an open race gun type compensator. Hopefully she stays reliable, will be an interesting carry rig.

Yep, I ended up ordering a barrel and that comp with the added "popple" holes, I believe the open race gun guys call them

It's for my Bul Armory SASII Ultralight 3.25".

Should be interesting to see how flat this little gun is with an open race gun type compensator. Hopefully she stays reliable, will be an interesting carry rig.
    Did it come in yet? My slide AND comp should both be here tomorrow. Kinda pumped to get it back together

Oh, no, and I'm going to have to hand fit the barrel, something I've never done before.
    Now, I've got a 30yd steel range in my backyard, so I can file a touch, test, file a touch, test, etc... but
    I imagine it might be a bit before I get everything right.

But none of the parts have come, all are shipped though, I've got the barrel, barrel links, pins, and then the compensator.

So it may be a while before I'd be able to post any update.

What setup did you go with?
    Did it come in yet? My slide AND comp should both be here tomorrow. Kinda pumped to get it back together

Now just waiting on a 507k.
    Haven't fired it yet, but I'm skeptical on how effective it will actually be.
    I'm not a design engineer by any means...but for this system...it doesn't seem ideal.

20231209_142718.jpg
    20231209_142729.jpg
    20231209_142918.jpg

Both my P320s have the Parker Mountain Machine twin top port compensators on them. Similar'ish

They are 9mms and the compensators made a lot of difference, they shoot like toys now, it is fantastic. In fact, I went from magnaport, to then a single port micro compensator, to a twin port, to loving that so much I put a twin port on my other P320. And I carry these, they aren't small with the comp hanging off them, but I make the extra effort because they shoot so well.
    Parker Mountain Machine notes 50-55% reduction in muzzle rise for those twin ports on the 9mm.

10mm has a max SAAMI psi rating over the 9mm, I'd imagine it would work better as brakes tend to do better with higher psi.

Although I don't know how it'll compare to the suppressor, but you should fire it without the comp, just barrel, then spin that comp on and fire it, I'd imagine it'll be a fair bit better. You could mess with recoil springs to tune that even more, I've done that with my 9mms and you can see it in recovery times. The suppressor has size and weight working to help it reduce muzzle flip as well as the internal function of the suppressor, may be a bit unfair to compare it to the comp, but nonetheless, I think the comp will do well.

Larger comp with more ports would obviously do better, this may give you a good idea and if you should like having a compensator, you could explore something more extreme with several ports and even side ports too. Though going down this road can mean extreme mods to a guide rod/spring system may be needed, drastically less powerful springs, though because it's 10mm you should still have options, even if they're intended for a 9mm.

All my components are supposed to arrive Monday so I can get to work on setting mine up.

Both my P320s have the Parker Mountain Machine twin top port compensators on them. Similar'ish
    I've got PMM on my M9A3, P320, and 509T (and thinking about one for a 19x)

This design isn't like those. You'll see when you get it.
    I'll rip a few rounds after work and see what the difference is