• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 591R inlet?

ejd049

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
Ft Worth, Texas
I ordered a stock from the great people of McMillan for a future build and was wondering if a stock inletted for a Surgeon 591R would work with a Rem 700 in it, until I get the 591R.

I was thinking the Surgeon has the same footprint.

Thanks

Re: 591R inlet?

you would have to do some work to the bolt handle area. The Surgeon is straight, the Remington is swept back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you would have to do some work to the bolt handle area. The Surgeon is straight, the Remington is swept back. </div></div>

Thanks

What about the recoil lug? It seems the Rem is smaller and when not bolted down is canted down towards the front.

My Mac A-5 milled for remmy 700, I put a Surgeon 591 in it. Only thing I had to do was mill the left side of the stock were the bolt release is. The Surgeon action has a bolt release that sticks out on the left side. You stock should work fine on the Remmy.