• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

597 shooters

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
I am looking for a rimfire semi-auto in 22 mag, and wanted to get some opinions on the gun. NO one seems to know anything about them, so I wanted to see if anyone on here had info.

Re: 597 shooters

i've got one, the triggers need a little stoneing, but can be made tolerable, its incredably accurate IMO, I have shot it out to 150yds, and with no wind it'll put 5 shots in about an inch, at 100yds its a one hole shooter, the ammo i've been useing is federal premium 30gr sierra HP's

Steve

My hunting partner and I each have one in 17 HMR, like slayer said ,very accurate, one inch groups if everything is right. Triggers need work, we put in the Volquartsen hammers, it helped my rifle a bunch, my partners rifle the pull still has a lot of creep.
Slayer,I haven't tried stoning it, was it difficult to do?What kind of stone did you use?

Not difficult, just tedious
wink.gif
I used a small india oil stone
you can get them at midway pretty cheap, all your really doing is smoothing things up, you have to take it apart and put it back together quite a few times to check progress, make sure you don't go to far though, then you can run into trouble,

good luck with your decision!

Steve

yeah, I thought about the jard stuff, but I couldn't see paying for it, i've only got about $110 into the whole gun excludeing the glass, traded some ever so hard to find reloading components for it
grin.gif

I had one of these rifles in a plastic stock - MIGHTY fine rifle - I gave it to my two nephews and they love it....

Very good rifle!! Remington claims it's the most accurate out-of-the box 22 available.

i only have the .22lr but i love it. i have owned just about every .22 on the market and that one and a marlin 60 are the only ones i still own.

imo they are the only one that feels like they were made for adults.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one of these rifles in a plastic stock - MIGHTY fine rifle - I gave it to my two nephews and they love it....

Very good rifle!! Remington claims it's the most accurate out-of-the box 22 available. </div></div>

Among the semis I hope, othervise Rem is full of it,

Best regards Chris

I wish I still had mine in .22LR.

Where is a good place to find one in .22 mag? They seem hard to find and I don't think I want anything to do with .22LR anymore.

I want a new 22 semi but I have been told the 597 is the most jamming 22 on the market. Nobody here recommends it. Everyone tells me to get Ruger 10/22, I have one from the 60s and Ruger has decided to get into the political game by putting anti oil / drilling political fliers in all Ruger firearms shipped to Alaska so any Ruger is a no-go.

My fav 22 right now is Nylon66 that I enjoy I just wish it was easier to put a full size 1" scope on it with a rail, not the 22 grooves on the receiver.

So, tell me the truth, are 597 jammers or not?

Thanks

Mine in 22 mag isn't, my brother in law has one in 22lr and it isn't, I think its one of those things where the 10/22 has been around so long its got a huge fan base, don't get me wrong they are great too, but I have nothing bad to say about the 597.

Steve

45, the first 597 mags were crap, so yes they jammed a lot. The new generation of 597 mags are flawless. My 597 has not had a single failure to feed or extract the whole time Ive had it. I did put a volk hammer in it, and volk also makes a extractor for it which is supposed to work better.

you can find some aftermarket stocks and match barrels for the 597 if you wanted to customize it a bit.

USMCj

CamW, been to rc

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279298

two replies, same at rimfireshooting, and the firing line.

KHOOKS, the gun I'm looking at looks to be the same, and much cheaper. If I was gonna pay $500 for it I would just buy a Sako Quad. I am still stuck between the 597 in semi, or the sako/marlin/savage route for bolt, just wondering how accurate these guns are. CamW, how do your HMRs shoot. WOuld really be interested in converting the WMR to an HMR if possible.

The only 22 mag I have ever own is a Marlin 882 (i think is te model of it) stainless steel bolt gun came stock with firesights. It more of a hunting setup than a target setup. By that I mean it has a standard barrel it isn't free floated and such. I have shoot it a good bit but never found a round that was a one holer out of (5) shots always a flier in there some where. Shooting a (3) shot group you could get 1/4" groups at 50 yards but that's if you pick up the right 3 rounds. I am curtian it's the ammo though.

That being siad if it's a hunting rig I won't hesitate to go back with a Marlin.

i have a 597 as well, no complaints. i have heard great things about the 10/22. my favorite is the marlin, dont know the model # but it was tube fed. extremely accurate and dependable. ihave not shot the 597 much only a few hundred rounds. thousands through the marlin.

Thanks gang. Think I will pick one up in 22lr when becomes avail. I like my Nylon66 but think I will clean it, oil it up and store it for awhile.

I was thinking of Marlin too but the 597 is tapped for a rail system so I can run full size 1" tube scope, the Marlins I have seen are not. And I can be very t-kwel with the 25 round mags.

I've had my new 597 for two weeks. The extractor fell out & I replaced it with a Volquartsen. Find the new mags, the older ones suck. If you get the Blaze Camo one, paint it as fast as you can! It was the only one avaiable when I ordered mine.

Remington597001.jpg

Remington597004.jpg

I shoot a first generation 597 ... and I have to say I love the gun, having fired several thousands of rounds through it, I have to say it is a bit finicky when it comes down to ammo it will reliably cycle through it. I have found that for bulk ammo, you can't beat CCI Blazers in the 597, Remington Target and pretty much any CCI ammunition will be reliable and accurate through the gun. I have absolutely no problem putting 15 out of 15 rounds through a coconut at 150 yards and likewise for apples at 100. I can shoot out the bottom of a shotgun shell at 50 yards with it, I have to say I would recommend the weapon if you're in the market for one.

Mine either has the 2nd or 3rd gen mags, and it has cycled anything Ive fed it so far, including Federal bulk packs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine either has the 2nd or 3rd gen mags, and it has cycled anything Ive fed it so far, including Federal bulk packs. </div></div>Yes, I neglected to mention that while mine is a first gen (notorious for faulty magazines) I have not had any problems with it, basically when you strip the rifle down for cleaning, disassemble the magazine and clean her out as well and you should be good. The third gen magazines are the ones to look for if you're worried about the others jamming up. Stock up on magazines, many sporting goods stores stock replacement third gen 10 round mags as well as Remington 30 round high capacity mags.

Im in Kali so no hicaps for me. My mags seem to be made of aluminum and have a orange follower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im in Kali so no hicaps for me. My mags seem to be made of aluminum and have a orange follower. </div></div>my apologies for the delayed response, it sounds like you have a second or third gen. 597, if it's a second gen consider purchasing a third gen magazine, but either will be better than the first gen ... although I have never had issues with my first gen mag ...

I found out that mine are 3rd gen mags, they have a 10 in a circle on the mag. (called cicrle 10 mag on rimfire central)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found out that mine are 3rd gen mags, they have a 10 in a circle on the mag. (called cicrle 10 mag on rimfire central) </div></div>Yahtzee! Good to hear man, sounds like you're set ... is there a way you could order a high cap. mag. online, or will they not even ship out to Cali? I'm not familiar with the state ordinances

they wont even ship here. I kinda dont want one anyway, it wont let me shoot off of a bipod. Here is a pic of my 597 with Volquartsen barrel and Boyds stock.

IMG_0096.jpg

DSC03278.jpg

Boy that sure is a beaut!
smile.gif
What scope are you running there? ... I have a feeling that the Remington 30rd would fit still, if only you were able to test that theory
frown.gif

Tasco 2.5-10x44 mildot. A hide member sent it to me for free from the pay it forward thread. It sure would be nice to use the 30 rounders, or even the 25's, but no go in Kali.

I have two, and brother-in-law has one. All three guns are .22lr. Mine are very early guns and jammed a lot with the supplied magazines. Sent both guns to Chief AJ for accurizing, and purchased new magazines, and both guns work great. Have aftermarket mags from both Eagle and Pro-Mag. The Eagle mags do not work very well, but I understand that they have a product revision that works now. The Pro-Mags, surprisingly, work very well.

Brother-in-laws gun works great right out of the box.

All 3 guns are more accurate than an out-of-box 10/22 or a Marlin 60 (the two semi-autos I own to compare.)

That said, I have spend a lot of money on my 10/22s and tend to shoot them more.