• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5r 300 wm muzzel brake advise

mattt

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2010
northern California
I have a new 5r that I am breaking in and working up loads for.I am thinking of having a break installed a badger or surefire. Has anyone had there accuracy decline by adding a brake?

Re: 5r 300 wm muzzel brake advise

If it is installed correctly there should be no difference in the acurracy of your rifle.

+1 <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dimar1492</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is installed correctly there should be no difference in the acurracy of your rifle. </div></div>

i put the Surefire brake on my 5r 300WM and i love it,.. i cant keep any ammo around for anymore because it is just that fun to shoot now.

no ill effects on accuracy,. but it does make for a very blasty report for anyone to your left or right.

did the surefire fit or did your barrel have to be turned down at all?

I've used brakes from a few different manufacturers, no difference in accuracy with or w/o the brake installed. Like everyone else said it all depends upon if it is installed correctly.

For me the reduction in recoil was like going from getting kicked by a angry mule to getting kicked by a two year old. The bark of the muzzle is alot work than the kick from recoil. Ifyou where close I would be more than happy to let you shoot a few boxes thru it to see how you like it.

I'm not sure what exactly had to be done to my barrel but I dropped it off at my local smith and I got it back a week later with the brake on.

I was very impressed with this brake from the first round I sent down range,.. I even made it a serious sticking point that I have the same exact brake added to my custom AR-10 barrel. Now I can use the same suppressor for both rifles,.. Just gotta keep saving my nickles and dimes to get the Surefire can.

There are bigger and more efficent brakes than the Surefire. IMO the Surefire is a good choice if you want to keep the weight down and retain a streamlined profile.

As for install the barrel will need to be threadded regardless so turning down the od to fit the Surefire isnt a big deal while its already chucked up in the lathe.

Another option would be Randy's new brake http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2009086&page=1 IMO this is a very clean looking brake and install looks to be pretty straight forward. The ONLY reason I didnt choose this brake was that IMO the SF looks better on a hunting rig otherwise I'm itching to try it...just need another build.

The Surefire suppressor addaptor / brake is plenty efficient for my needs,. Plus the way the suppressor attaches to the addaptor is just plain sweet, the reason I got the Surefire for my .300WM 5r was to control recoil, with the added bonus of being able to easily suppress the rifle if I wanted. Now with the AR-10 the main reason I got it was for the suppressor,. The brake helped but really was not needed for the .308 round.

I am sure there are brakes that are much more efficient but there are few out there that keep a low profile and work great as a suppressor addaptor or as a stand alone brake

P1020021.jpg

I'll have to take some pictures of the Remington again,. Seems I lost the folder with the pictures of the 5r & SPS. The barrel is a Rock Creek 24 incher and has the same OD at the muzzle as the 5r,... Not quite the same as seeing it on the 26 inch tube, but it should give you a idea of how it looks on the Remington.