• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5r 308 168 SMK load data

Dolomite

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
newbie asking hand load question...

any good recipes using 168 SMK and varget using the rifle specs below?

how far off the lands should I seat the bullet? (not magaine loading)

Once fired case neck sized, but body expanded so its a tighter fit in chamber. is that normal?

how much should I size the neck? down too the top of the shoulder?

base of shoulder has expanded beyond max of .454 per load manual. everything else measures under max.

rifle data:
rem 700 5r
24" barrel
varget powder
168 SMK
Fed 210 primer
once fired brass from my gun
brass under max case length

any help is greatly appreciated.

You will need to at least neck size your brass so it will hold a bullet. Lee collet neck sizing die works really well. Some full length size every firing, some neck size only and use a body die when the brass gets too tight to chamber easily.

I have the same setup (Lapua brass) and settled on 42.9 grains of Varget after doing an OCW work up. OCW is a well worth while load development tool.

OFG

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolomite
see below in bold
newbie asking hand load question...

any good recipes using 168 SMK and varget using the rifle specs below?

Use the search function a bit and look at this article .308 Win Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

how far off the lands should I seat the bullet? (not magaine loading)

Check your head space with a head space gauge first then experiment.

Once fired case neck sized, but body expanded so its a tighter fit in chamber. is that normal?

Get a full length sizing die

how much should I size the neck? down too the top of the shoulder?

Get a lee collet neck sizing die, its cheap and easy, you can get fancy after you been loading for a while if you feel the need.

base of shoulder has expanded beyond max of .454 per load manual. everything else measures under max.

Full length sizing die

Nice rifle

rifle data:
rem 700 5r
24" barrel
varget powder
168 SMK
Fed 210 primer
once fired brass from my gun
brass under max case length

any help is greatly appreciated.

newbie asking hand load question...any good recipes using 168 SMK and varget using the rifle specs below?
there is an entire reloading section at your disposal on this forum. Use the search feature with the following tags "308, 168, varget" and you'll get more info than you'll ever want to know.

I have had great success with the following (same rifle):
45.8gr Varget (work up to this, it is near max)
0.020" off the lands (or 0.015" less than mag length)
any LR primer (I have tested several and haven't realized any variation reduction justifying cost of BR primers for this gun)
Black Hills brass (made by Winchester)
FL size after each firing (I try to bump shoulder back only 0.002", but it takes lots of tweaking)
0.003" neck tension (I use a redding 0.331" bushing)
168 SMK and 168 AMAX and 168 BTHP all provide the same result (note that the OAL varies with each of these and I do not mix these bullets in the same batch)

44 grains varget is a pretty standard load that is very close to the FGMM load.

I had really good luck with loads between 44 and 44.6 grains, my 5R loved the hornady 168 BTHP over 44.6 varget.

I just loaded to 2.8 coal, as I was trying to duplicate the factory load for practice.

thanks for the information...

when testing powder load what increments does everyone use?

.5? .2? .3?

I'm no a competition shooter just want something close to factory match ammo for my gun...

308, Varget and a good load do not go together, get some RE15 or 2000MR/CFE223. That being said, 42grs RE15 will give you the best accuracy, seat the bullets to an OAL of 2.810-20".

Yeah 308 has never worked with varget, just ask Brad Suave. I get groups like ur 6 creedmoor at 300 with my FN a3g with 155 ncc and that crappy varget. On second that....varget is junk and it will destroy rifle and moral. Hooray, more varget for me. Back to OP, my 24" 5r liked 44.0 gr varget and 168smk. Also liked 43.0 or 43.7 gr h4895 and 168smk. Using h4895 picked up 80 fps.

Read the stickys in the reloading section on this forum. All your reloading questions answered

thanks for sharing load info on the 5r.....

i also went through the snipers hide reloading section and found some good info...

going to load some test rounds and see what happens...

what kind of groupings is everyone getting?

My accuracy nodes were at 43, and 46gr, and I liked the faster speeds with no pressure signs using 46gr, Fed Match primers, Win neck sized brass, fireformed. I contacted Dan at OCW loading and his 1st load he gave me was 46gr. Never tried another powder simply because Varget works. This is from a 20" 5R

Yeah 308 has never worked with varget, just ask Brad Suave. I get groups like ur 6 creedmoor at 300 with my FN a3g with 155 ncc and that crappy varget. On second that....varget is junk and it will destroy rifle and moral. Hooray, more varget for me. Back to OP, my 24" 5r liked 44.0 gr varget and 168smk. Also liked 43.0 or 43.7 gr h4895 and 168smk. Using h4895 picked up 80 fps.
Well, Brad uses the lot #s that shoot good, the lot # Ive got only works in my 708 and other 708s I reload for, not my 308s, though I did have a good lot# back in the mid 90s that shot good in a Browning 308 I once had. RE15 always worked better for me.

I have not saw this horrible lot to lot inconsistency. I used to shoot different lots, from 1 lb to another and saw no more then .75 moa difference in dope out to 1k. Also never had to retune a load, maybe i just found the perfect node that was wide, doubt it though. I have burned a metric ton of varget, and find it to be a great powder. Re15 was so filthy and temp sensitive i try to stay away. In fact the only reloader powder i use is 10x in my shortline BR rifle, and it has to fiddled with to stay on top of it in as little as 30* temp swings. Varget is supposed to be great in heavy 6 br loads but i have always been let down with it in my two fast twist, much prefer h4895. In fact, when my 9 lbs of varget is out i will start using h4895 in my FN also. Use it in a 223&2 6 br 1-8.

Almost forgot, fellow from Tenn. won our last 600yd BR comp a couple of sundays ago, asked him what he was shooting while we visited the little boys room, a 5R Remington he said, after he shot a 2.5" group I also asked him what his load was, 42.8grs RE15 with Fed cases and I believe he was shooting 168AMAXs.
I tried my load of 42grs last year but didnt fare too well at 600yds. wind blew my shots horizontal, but Im proud my rifle could shoot this at 300. I might have some MKs loaded up in some 06 cases I could try to duplicate or better this group, but I recall testing these bullets side by side a the year before with the AMAX coming out ahead @100yds.
cLU4i1t.jpg