• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5R and FN A1 SPR - Questions, questions, questions

AustinTXMarine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
OK, got a few for all of you...

I have a 5R and a FN A1 SPR both in 308 and both are brand new. The 5R is said to be best at 175gr, and the SPR (also a 24" bbl) is said to be best at 168gr. Can anyone confirm this? I would like to be able to buy bulk ammo, but it sounds like they prefer different weights.

Next question. Which is the best muzzle break as far as fit, finish and functionality are concerned for both of these rifles? I have a Miculek on another 700 and have had great results. I know that there are others saying the JP or the BO Thruster are better but I have never been able to really confirm it. I would prefer the break be a similar diameter to match the barrel, so the Miculek was the best for the 700 SPS tactical, but I don't know which would be the best for the 5R and the SPR. I am also assuming that the thread of 5/8-24 is still the most common for .308, (may add a can later) right?

OK, last question.... has anyone put a tactical knob on a SPR bolt? If so, which one and how hard for the gunsmith was it?

Thank you to all who reply. Can't wait to get these out on the range.

Re: 5R and FN A1 SPR - Questions, questions, questions

put the crack pipe down........and use the search function.....

buying bulk ammo is fine for blasting......but what you feed your precision bolt gun may take some work up.....

muzzle brakes ......is another whole can of worms....some are more efficient than others....whilr others are real tac-ti-cool....

bolt knobbies are........well some are more better than others...

Man- that's a lot of questions!

First, you will need to test both rifles to see what they like. I have had PHENOMENAL luck with 155s in several SPRs that I have owned.
If you are shooting factory ammo, I'd pick up a box of 168s and a box of 175s and have at it. My guess is that both rifles will shoot either quite well.

What exactly are you going to use them for? If you shoot paper off a bench, neither of these rifles will reach their potential without handloads tailored to each. The 5r is going to have a REALLY long throat, which will inhibit performance with factory ammo. The FN will do a little better as the throat is not as bad. If you are planning on tactical comps, either will suit your purpose with any GOOD factory ammo you feed it.

Get the BO thruster, great brake and reasonably priced. 5/8 x 24--of course. Don't worry about the diameter because your smith is going to need to turn it down to the diameter of the barrel anyway, if not it will look TERRIBLE!! Plus, you will need to finish the brake after installation otherwise you'll have a silver brake on a black barrel (at least as far as the FN is concerned).

Send the bolt to Randy at R & D for his gen 2 bolt knob. He has done 6 of them for me and I can't say enough good things about his work and CS. He generally ships it back the day he gets it. $85 IIRC.

Good luck and have fun!

RIPPER- I GUESS I'M GETTING SOFT IN MY OLD AGE!

As far as a brake I can't help you there. My SPR is threaded for it's suppressor, an Elite Iron Bravo 30. I usually shoot it suppressed, and the recoil feels reduced to about the same as an AR in 5.56. When not suppressed it has a thread/crown protector installed.

I sent my charging handle to GA Precision and had the Badger Ordnance Tactical knob installed. Very pleased with it, and incredibly fast turn around time.
Steve

Thank you Scout77 and 180man, I appreciate the insite. It sounds like I am heading down the right path. Sorry Ripper, but sometimes in my life it is better to get updated information than to rely on old intell....seems like a lot of things in today's world could use the same.