• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report 5R barrels

jwoolf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Dallas, TX
Not sure how much this has been discussed but, I'm about to put another barrel on my rifle and, I saw that Kreiger is offering a 5R barrel that would go on my 300wm.

I'd be interested in hearing all of your thoughts on 5R barrels.

I guess there are some that say that they are cleaner and you get more velocity... I don't know if accuracy suffers or not and, I'm a bit perplexed... not sure if I should go for the 5R barrel or not.

I suppose that if Kreiger is offering them then they must be getting pretty good results from them.

I think I'm finally at the spot in the reloading career that I'm not cutting any corners.... I'm now turning necks, annealing between reloadings and making every measurment possible in my brass before I take anything out to shoot so, I don't want to mess anything up with my barrel choice. LOL

You know... I probably should have asked which barrel is best but, I'm sure that would turn ugly.... right now, I've got a lothar walther barrel on it that I got the rifle with... it was put together by cactus weapons and, I've put about 1000rds through it last year but, I got the rifle used.... I was told it had a couple hundred down the tube when I got it.

It's not opening up too much but, last time I printed a 5 shot group it was at about .32" at 100yds.

It may not be too bad now but, I'm sure it's going to open up soon so, I want to go ahead and get the new barrel on the shelf before I have to have it.

Re: 5R barrels

A grouping in the 'threes' is good. Your barrel has much life left.

I have a 5R barrel on one of my rifles. I like it. Accurate and cleans up fast.

What kind of shooting and distances do you do?

5R barrels have proven to be as accurate as standard rifling and give the added benefit of easier cleaning.
I have a couple of rifles with 5R barrels and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I have been shooting 5R profile and others ( by different names but similar like 5C ) for a long time and I think they foul less. Hard to go wrong with Obermeyer, Bartlein Barrels, Inc., Brux , Broughton Rifle Barrels, or Kreiger.

That being said my favorite these days is poly barrels from Schneider barrels, they seem to be the fastest for a given charge compared to some others I have, clean up so easy. Tubb and the USMC are a few of his customers, might have a shorter lead time too. If you search SH I think you may fine some similar observations.

Schneider Rifle Barrels
1403 Red Baron
Payson, AZ 85541
Phone: (928) 474-2852
Hand-lapped, pull-buttoned barrels with superb accuracy. Conventional and 5-land Polygon (P5) rifling options. Good prices ($254/blank). David Tubb uses Gary Schneider's barrels exclusively.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A grouping in the 'threes' is good. Your barrel has much life left.

I have a 5R barrel on one of my rifles. I like it. Accurate and cleans up fast.

What kind of shooting and distances do you do? </div></div>

mostly 1000yd line but, I do tactical matches too.

I've had good luck with 5R barrel's and run them in five different rifles. Three are Bartlein and the other two are Rock.

IMO they run a little faster. They work for me and I'll continue to use them.

I just had an action barreled in 300wm 5r from Krieger. The guys there will be the first to tell you that they have not seen a difference between their 5r and standard cut barrels but I spent the extra $ and got the 5r. With that said I've only been out to break in and start load development and am having some great results so far. You definitely cant go wrong with one.

They foul less, and from my experience with mine, i haven't put a load through it that didn't shoot Sub-MOA. I'm not sure if thats the 5R rifling contributing to that or just a good barrel. This is a factory Remington 5R but i plan on putting a bartlein 5R on it in the coming months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30/50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had an action barreled in 300wm 5r from Krieger. The guys there will be the first to tell you that they have not seen a difference between their 5r and standard cut barrels but I spent the extra $ and got the 5r. With that said I've only been out to break in and start load development and am having some great results so far. You definitely cant go wrong with one. </div></div>

Yeah, I talked to Kreiger too and was told the same thing. I decided not to get one this time but, I may try one next time. I'll be ordering another one next year so, there are always opportunities! LOL

Thanks for all the replies on this. It did give me the confidence to get one.

I like my 5R. I can't talk to accuracy much(not much to compare to), but they do take less time to clean.

Especially with a good solvent. I had been using Hoppes #9 and switched to Bortech eliminator and i went from using about 30 patches to 15. Doesn't take long at all.

cant disagree with anyone here.... my 5r krieger cleans up fast and shoots strait as an arrow