• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5R or Kimber Tactical

Rolex24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2009
Kentucky
So I was at the local shop and they've got some Xmas sales. Kimber Tactical (with the marbled A5) $1450
5R .308 for $950

I'm 90% sure I'm going with the 5R but it never hurts to ask for opinions from the more experienced and gunly.

Re: 5R or Kimber Tactical

Go with the 5-r. They are shooters out of the box. You can always find a short action Mcmillan A-5 stock later on. From what I have read the Kimber Tactical is a hit or miss out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the 5-r. They are shooters out of the box. You can always find a short action Mcmillan A-5 stock later on. From what I have read the Kimber Tactical is a hit or miss out of the box. </div></div>

My Kimber 8400 Tactical was a HIT right out of the box. My custom Rem 700 LTR wasn't as good a shooter for $700 more. JMHO.

Either will outshoot most shooters. That being said I went with a 5R and loved it.

Keep in mind for me it was $927 (5R), minus $225 (sold stock), plus $572 (McM A4). So it ran out to a total of $1274 for me.

+1 for the 5r. Its the best OUT OF THE BOX gun I have ever owned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is for the 5R. I just picked one up and am very happy with it. Here is a link to my range report. Enjoy.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...448#Post1474448
SScott </div></div>

Wow, that's sweet. I really wish I could get the version shown in your first pic as I'm a lefty. Gotten used to shooting my RH Annie MPR though, prone of course, so purchasing RH models isn't a big deal anymore. I don't compete or use a rifle for work, just range time and sometimes hunting.

I think I'm going to pick up the 5R this weekend. Other than optics I really only see making the changes Scott has on his stick and I'd be perfectly happy but fine with the bone stock setup for the time being.

Thanks to all who weighed in.

5R is a known performer. The majority of tactical rifles in the US are built on some variation of the 700 action and parts and accessories are plentiful as well as smith who are familiar with tuning them up.

As for accuracy they are well known to be sub MOA out the box with 1/2 moa not uncommon. The 5R barrel has many advantages over conventional rifling. I think the playing feild evens out with higher end aftermarket barrels but 5R factory tubes just plain work.

I really like the specs and features of the Kimber but I have read much more negative than positive about them. To be clear the negatives were all in the accuracy department not in the fit or finish.

You may luck out with a great Kimber but why take the chance when the 5R is so proven.

My Kimber shoots well now but it didnt shoot for shit out of the box. My vote for out of the box is the 5R, I own both didnt need to send the Remy out for a $200 pillar bedding job to get it to shoot!

I'd go with the Kimber because of the safety features and the A5 stock. I'm a big fan of the M70 safety and Mauser extractor. That and my Caprivi, a gun designed for close range dangerous game work, shoots 1/2 MOA at 200 yards using Federal 300gr Nosler Partitions.

I thought that the Kimber Advanced Tactical was very light compared to other sniper built rifles I have owned and held. Is that the case with the Tactical as well? Anyone else think the Kimber was light?

5R. Too many kimbers that don't perform and their customer service is lacking. Most 5R's are solid shooters out of the box and the $ you save can easily buy the stock you desire.

Should you decide to sell it, a 5R will sell a lot better than a kimber because people know the kimber rep for being inconsistent and are leary of any of them used for sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shenk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought that the Kimber Advanced Tactical was very light compared to other sniper built rifles I have owned and held. Is that the case with the Tactical as well? Anyone else think the Kimber was light? </div></div>

My barrel is right at .700 at the muzzle if I remember right. it might be .750 but I am thinking .700. If you look closely at the barrel profile you will see why it seems lighter. The 700 tact's and varmint rifles are in the .850 range I don't know the exact diameter but it is in the .8's. Here is a pic side by side of a Rem 700 XCR LR and a Kimber AT. Factor in parts you can build the Remy for less with the 5R or XCR LR, McM A-5 setup the same, and Badger M-4 bottom metal. Either way you have to have them bedded so that is a wash. The stock on the Rem was setup almost exactly like the kimber stock but the McM had pillars already in it. Trigger on both models are good to go. Sure you get the fancy case with the Kimber but My 300WM had a price tag with Rings to match of $2500 after Tax and another $400 for muzzle break install and pillar bedding (custom shop gun my ass), As seen I have $1800ish in the Remy with it professionally bedded. For that price difference I think a nice tan case to match could be purchased. The Remington shoots 1" or less with anything I have put in it so far. The Kimber not so much I do have a ton of trigger time with a 308 AT also and it was the same way. Once the right load was found for it though all bets are off. the 300WM seems to be the same finicky as hell but when have found what it has liked it makes nice little holes.

IMG_42981.JPG

The model 70 style safety is nice on the Kimber, so is the extractor I know it seems I may bash kimber alot, but 3 AT's between myself and a friend all 3 were shit bedded from the factory and required a real gunsmith's touch to repair what supposedly is a professional bedding job. Also all 3 had the Tan finish in the chamber.

+1 on the 5R I have one as well as 4 other club members. Every one of them shoots good, right out of the box. One member had the barrel hand lapped and bedded into HTG stock and it also shot great. I have not tried a kimber so I can't say anything about those..

My experiences with the 5R has been fantastic... would recommend to anybody. Can't speak on the Kimber.

My experiences with 5R is just like anyone else, it's a born shooter, of course you can't compare it to any custom rifle, but it definitely has its place in the bone stock rifles.

+1 on 5R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the 5-r. They are shooters out of the box. You can always find a short action Mcmillan A-5 stock later on. From what I have read the Kimber Tactical is a hit or miss out of the box. </div></div>

My Kimber 8400 Tactical was a HIT right out of the box. My custom Rem 700 LTR wasn't as good a shooter for $700 more. JMHO. </div></div>

I am glad you got a 8400 that shoots great out of the box. When we pay so much for a gun it should do what it was designed to do. But the first guy was asking about the stock 5-r not the a customized ltr (that would be comparing apples to oranges--now since your ltr is custom I don't know what barrel you have on it but if the barrel is stock then even the barrels are completely different-- 5-r stainless barrel 24" with 1 in 11.25" twist vs. a 6 grove 20" barrel with 1 in 12" twist). From my own personal experience and from what I have been reading the 5-r in its stock form is cheaper than the 8400 tactical and the 5-r is more likely than not a shooter out of the box.

Well, I went with the 5R. Picked it up today and feel like I got a great deal. Not in too much of a hurry to get optics on it and might just wait for the new Vortex PST. I'll have to lighten up the pull of the xmark trigger though, it's heavy...no creep however.