• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5R or LTR 308

startrek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2008
lexington,nc
There is only a 110 bucks difference, I like the short fluted barrel, but I hear the 5R will outshoot the LTR, any thoughts?

Re: 5R or LTR 308

Same boat I am in at the moment. Leaning towards the LTR right now.

I have a LTR .223 and love it. I also have a 5R .308 and love it too.

Is the LTR the one with the queer triangular barrel? I wouldnt get that one on looks alone.

I had the same decision a couple years ago. Since I couldn't find an LTR and a local store had the 5R, my choice was a no brainer. No regrets. It shoots very well. Our club recently had a rifle competition in which I took second place (to a GAP). I don't feel too bad. ;-). He better watch out next time!

Paul

I had an LTR and it shot very well for a factory rifle but I would buy a 5r if I got another one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the LTR the one with the queer triangular barrel? I wouldnt get that one on looks alone. </div></div>

No - the LTR has a 20 inch (round) fluted barrel in an HS Precision PST086 stock.

The LTR is a solid rifle, but I agree with what someone mentioned above, split the difference and get the 20 inch 5r, the barrel is threaded to accept a muzzle brake or a suppressor.

5R or LTR?
Both rifles will get the job done.
The 5R will get it done a little better with just what you take out of the box.
Scope it and shoot it.
I use mine for hunting and paper punching and steel targets. I got all the major name brands, when I am standing there looking in the safe trying to decide which one to go sit in the tree stand with or whack steel at 500 yds. I grab the 5R.
This one is set up in the pic. for hunting with a Nikon Buckmaster with side focus. If you want paper just change scopes, zero and go.
The truth, it's all about what you have confidence in when you shoot the rifle, you will know the fit and feel you are looking for, when you find it, that's the one.
5R1.jpg

5R2.jpg

I went through this a couple years ago and ended up buying a 5r. I put a LOT of rounds through it and it was a very good shooter. After adding and changing parts about the only thing original to the rifle is the serial number so get which ever one you like best, you probably won't recognize it in two years:)

I've owned 3 5R's and they all shot extremely well. I'd have to lean toward the 5R and give it a paint job.

5R is great shooter, but id get what u like best.

They are both great. Get the LTR if you want a little lighter rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rhantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went through this a couple years ago and ended up buying a 5r. I put a LOT of rounds through it and it was a very good shooter. After adding and changing parts about the only thing original to the rifle is the serial number so get which ever one you like best, you probably won't recognize it in two years:) </div></div>

Thats kind of what i'm thinking, sure is tough to think about painting a 1K rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thats kind of what i'm thinking, sure is tough to think about painting a 1K rifle. </div></div>

Yeah I was worried too at first but they make new stocks and gun parts everyday and if you can't fix a flub, someone else can for a little extra dough. I took the ultra flat krylon to mine and am pretty happy with it so far. The 5R is a shooter right out of the box no doubt. I added a Jewel trigger, EGW's 20 moa base, EGW's 30mm rings and a 4.5x30x50 Bushnell Tactical Elite 6500 scope and mine shoots better than I'm capable. Wasn't sure about scope selection, and looked at a ton of them. Finally decided on the Bushnell after the LGS had one for $670 bucks. Couldn't pass it up. Here it is as it sat a few months back, it has some rounds through it now and like I said, I'm happy with it.

200791_928920893063_14233824_47362432_159190_n.jpg

Love my 5Rs. I cut threaded and painted one of mine and like it as much as my GAP and have to say that it shoots great next to it out to 1K.

I have a LTR that is unbelievably accurate for a box stock rifle. I would be very interested in hearing the opinion of someone who has both rifles, I know we all love what we have. Last week I almost had a steal on a 5r but missed the boat. A side by side comparison would be very interesting to see.

The 5r seems like a great rig as well. I think it boils down to how long a barrel you want, and if you like flutes or not. From everything I have read they will both shoot sub moa in most cases. Have never herd a complaint about either rifle.

The LTR is a bit lighter which is nice at times I have humped mine all over Alaska, but the extra weight and barrel length of the 5R would be welcome laying prone on the range.

Anyone have both? lets hear it.

Love my 5r shoots great, balance is awesome havent changed a thing on it other than adding the hs mag system to it.
If 1.5lbs (difference btwn an ltr an 5r) is that big of a deal to you, ya might want to hit the gym in between shopping for rifles.

I have both an ltr in 308, with ken ferrell 20moa base, ken ferrell rings, leupold vari x III tact lr in 3.5x10x40 with m3 dials, This has the 40x trigger in it and a PTG steel bdl floorplate. I prefer this trigger over the 5r's. AND
A rem 5r in 308, leupold vari x III LR 4.5x14x50 Stainless finish with M1's and mildots added at the custom shop. I didnt care for the green web stock so I sprayed it in multicolor brown, beadblasted all metal, added sunny hill bottom metal to it andtuned the trigger to about 2.75 lbs. This is set aside for my 3 yr old son.

Between the 2 their is about 2 lbs difference. I tend to prefer the ltr stock dimensions over the 5r. Both shoot very well, and both like the hornady 178 amax. I may have gotten lucky on the few remington 700 based 308's I have( 700p/ ltr/ 5R)
as they will all shoot better than .75 moa with my handloads. My only true complaint for one over the other is the ltr seems to have a longer throat and tends to need a longer coal to get accuracy() same as my older 700p)

Maybe get a 20 inch 5r and send it off for fluting if the ltr fluting looks good to you. Either way Good Luck, pick one and start shooting it.

I have owned several of both. Both are shooters, but the edge would have to go with the 5R.