• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5r recoil pad

Re: 5r recoil pad

Yes- and the stock's butt is hollow. It may be a better idea to sand off the rubber and leave the disc of hard black plastic.

I'm wanting to put a limbsaver pad on it (300wm). Has anyone done this and how did you do it? I would think I could glue the new one on with some good epoxy maybe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a slip on pad.
</div></div>
+1 hard to beat lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a slip on pad.
</div></div>

I don't want to increase the LOP, but thanks.

The pad that is on it is fairly thick. I haven't measured it, but I would say it is less than 1/2" thinner than a limbsaver. It just doesn't have much give to it.

I removed the stock recoil pad and replaced with a Pachmyr. I took a putty knife and placed the edge at the seam and drove it in at a slight angle away from the stock. It will chunk out, but I went around the seam chunking as I went. Afterward, I ground the stock surface flat to accept the new pad. The hardest part was grinding the new pad to fit with a belt sander.

There are several posts around the web about folks taking and freezing their HS stocks for a day or so. Rumor has it, it makes glue that holds the buttpad on brittle and the pad can be easily removed with a few good wacks from a putty knife. Never tried to remove mine so I can't be certain of this theory, but look around on the web, I know lots of folks have tried this very thing.

Like others said though, once you get it off the stocks are hollow and have nothing to screw a new buttpad too. They either have to be glued back on or you have to mold something into the end of the stock to accept the screw in buttpad.

Believe it or not I did the the mod and put a regular Remington butt pad on it. I used the black & red JB wield epoxy. To take it off I used a utility knife that I cut off all the rubber pad. By the time I was done the plastic piece actually came off. So I just glued the regular Remington pad on the HS stock. I would suggest the freezing method so the stock doesn't crack.

Aron-

I used a heat gun and a box blade. Came off easily. Then used epoxy to put the new one on

many ways to do this, one way I have observed is to freeze it, putty knife and a few sharp blows from a hemmer will reomve old pad.. Many either will fill the hollow area with lead shot etc for added weight( I did this to a 700pss in 308) others take a delron or wood dowel and drill holes in stck butt epoxy the rods in place and screw in to them as well as epoxy.

Some epoxies are not suitable for the new rubbers used in the pads and will actually melt the pad.

Most use grind to fit etc. I put mine on, glued/screwed it. wrapped buttstock in layers of painters tape and ground to fit with it installed. use wd 40 and go slow. once you are close you can switch to finer paper and take a layer of tape off at a time to blend as close to possible with the stock. Use a backer with the sandpaper to keep pad/strokes even.

Most use limbsaver or pac decelrator pds.

if you don't want to add too much length of pull this is the way to go. save you some trouble.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes- and the stock's butt is hollow. It may be a better idea to sand off the rubber and leave the disc of hard black plastic. </div></div>

my pachmyr decellerator is nice and squishhyyyy

I took mine off last week using a knife, got the top started and just popped it off. I ordered a Pachmayr pad but I got an email that it was backordered so now I have a stock with no pad.