• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 5R touchup 1st multi icam attempt

stillbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
Tupelo, MS
After doing my first bedding job using devcon I had a few places that I wanted to touch up such as a chip in front of the recoil lug, a chip under the tang, along the top edge of the barrel channel and I wanted to clean up the lines inside the mag/trigger well. I went ahead and textured the grip, built the stock up around that rear of the action tang to make it a smooth transition from metal to stock where my thumb rests. I had previously painted the stock and I did not want to go back with the "hay and spray" look so I made an attempt at multi cam. It looks better in person, IMHO, than the pics show.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Re: 5R touchup 1st multi icam attempt

pretty nice. that is not an easy pattern to duplicate. 30cal did one, and I think he said it took 17? differant colors...I cant remember off the top of my head, but it was a ton of colors, but looked perfect.

Found it, this is the best I have seen. Yours looks great though..

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=1076216#comments

21 COLORS!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">21 different colors mixed to make what you see, parts from 5 different camo patterns. 7 layers of paint, one of clear.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found it, this is the best I have seen. Yours looks great though..

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=1076216#comments

21 COLORS!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">21 different colors mixed to make what you see, parts from 5 different camo patterns. 7 layers of paint, one of clear.</div></div>
</div></div>

Mine looks like a turd compared to 30calsniper.
I am pretty happy with how it turned out to have only used rattle can Krylon. I think that I used 7 different colors. I learned some stuff that I will do different if I try it again.

That may not be a licensed, perfect copy.....but it looks at least as good if not better!

That's probably one of the better camo jobs I have seen on the hide. Good job!

Looks good to me, i don't you will be able to tell the difference in yours and 30calsniper's in a real life situation

no 2 rifles should ever be alike..... They are all different and special in their own little way.

Or at least thats what my mom always said. what was she talking about???

wink.gif

Nice paint job, keep practicing

I think that I would try to keep it a little more on the light side. The dark colors are added last and it is easy to go too heavy with them, once you start it begins to look better and better and then you back up from it and it is too dark. On smaller items it is difficult for me to scale the pattern to the small area especially with MC as there are so many details to work in. I think I would have been happier if I had about a quarter less of the flat dark brown and flat dark green this alone would leave the pattern a little lighter and more open. The other thing that I would have done is rather than have two pieces of cardboard with patterns cut out I would like to have six or seven to really make the patterns random. Oh well it's only Krylon it ain't permanent.

Dont take this wrong...just my fucked up mind / sense of humor, but it looks like a tan sperm swimming up to your bolt....but honestly, you did an awesome job. I wish I could do something like that. Very nice looking stick.

looks great I am makeing an attempt at cammo on my XD and a AR lower it is not as easy as it seemed to be I think that you did a great job

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dyer_MCSO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont take this wrong...just my fucked up mind / sense of humor, but it looks like a tan sperm swimming up to your bolt..... </div></div>

It keeps my bolt from being stiff....