• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5R vs 700P

iyaoyas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2008
KCMO
I have a friend looking to buy one of the two and is looking for input/differrences? Also seeking others personal opinions as well? He will be punching paper as well as hunting with it.

Re: 5R vs 700P

My 5r is freak'n hard to beat. However, my sps-t out shoots it so far @ 100yds. Just food for thought considering that the 5r was $500 more.

i have owned both and the differences that i can notice aside from cosmetics is the 5r is lighter and has a shorter barrel and the forend is shorter as well and it seems to be more balanced than the 700p. my 700p really likes 168 smk usually around .4-.55 moa but not so much the smk 135,155,175,190 and 155 scenar where as the 5r will shoot all of them around .6-.75 moa but having said that my sps-v with the plastic stock and bedded with pillars and skimed will outshoot both of them with all of the above listed weights

I don't think that you will be able to tell too much of a difference. If stainless and an easier to clean barrel are your thing, go with the 5R. Mine has made many .3MOA groups at 100 and 200yds during load development.

the 5r's are supposed to shine at 200 or more yards. right now, at this time my sps is outshooting everything I have out to 300 except for my 6br and a couple of other guns. RG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iyaoyas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a friend looking to buy one of the two and is looking for input/differrences? Also seeking others personal opinions as well? He will be punching paper as well as hunting with it.</div></div>

5R is easier to clean and cost more $$.

5R twist is 1:11.25 and I believe the 700P is 1:12. The 5R is stainless and has a 24" barrel as opposed to the 700P which is a "Black Gun" with a 26" barrel. I've owned both but I like the 5R a little better. 5R shoots heavier bullets a little better IMO. If it's "new" get rid of the factory trigger and put something decent in it... groups will shrink considerably! Just my $0.02. FWIW.

Neither will disappoint!

It really is a "6 one way, half-dozen the other" type of deal between the two. The 5R really isn't that much more accurate than the 700P on average, if it all. For hunting though, 24 inches is easier to tote around than 26. Both take to Krylon just as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if he will be hunting with it as well.. why not an LTR versus 700P? </div></div>

+1, even better choice.

i had a shortened VS I liked better and generally shot better than the 5R.
The 5R palm swell is to excessive. All the reading on shorter throat and more accuracy was hype. It (5R) did react better to clean bore and fouled less.

The LTR does make for a better hunting rifle. With that VS, 5R, and LTR; i liked the LTR the best. Years later, its the only one I kept and replaced the others (purchased for LR) with a custom rig.

I just picked up a 5R in a trade deal here on the Hide. So far I like it very much. Hate the stainless so it got a coat of Alumahyde II Desert Tan. I mounted a Nikon Monarch 6-14X42SF Mildot on it today. I have not shot it yet but I like what I hear about it. The stock is fine with me, similar to the VSF and the PSS stocks but still different. It will eventually get a McMillan A5 when I get around to it but until then I expect it to work fine. I like the new trigger. A lot of hype about it sucks and this and that. It seems fine to me.

Your friend cant really go wrong with it. If he wants to save a few bucks and given his application the SPS or maybe a used PSS or VSF might be a better choice while costing less.

they are essentially the same except barrel. the 5r has the faster twist rate and 2" shorter.

if you're on a budget the 700p can be picked up for a lil bit cheaper than the 5R. i've got some friends who picked up the 5R and we started shooting matches, some of the other guys picked up 700Ps instead. It all depends on the shooter, there is no trend where one finishes above the other. i've seen 5Rs come in last and 700Ps come in the top 5 over custom rigs.

Just get a VS ! Your gonna do something with it down the road anyway..
laugh.gif
Why pay extra money for slightly cosmetic differences? I got my VS .308 for under 500. Took it to the range and it was punching 1/4 moa holes at 100& 300 after sighted in with FGMM 168's! Maybe I got a whistler out of the factory but still...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SOC308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they are essentially the same except barrel. the 5r has the faster twist rate and 2" shorter.

if you're on a budget the 700p can be picked up for a lil bit cheaper than the 5R. i've got some friends who picked up the 5R and we started shooting matches, some of the other guys picked up 700Ps instead. It all depends on the shooter, there is no trend where one finishes above the other. i've seen 5Rs come in last and 700Ps come in the top 5 over custom rigs.</div></div>

Ah, but at most gun shops I've seen the 5R comes with a free reach-around and rim job from the guy behind the counter. They LOVE to talk the things up like they're the end-all of quality guns. My feeling is, if you're going to overpay for a crappy stock and a donor action you might as well get to have the owner blow smoke up your ass in front of all of the other patrons.

Get the 5-r it looks cooler! Hell spray paint that bitch and it looks real good. Hahaha!

I would spend my money on having the 700P "accurized", unless stainless is worth the money to you. The actions, I would bet, come off the same tooling, so there shouldn't be any discernable differances in tolerances.

Remington says that the 5R is all hand built in the custom shop, but its still the same thing, just hand fitted, if you can get everything trued up and a barrel for under $500, its a no brainer.