• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6-24 vs 5-25

DavidMarlow

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2022
Missouri
Is there a benefit to use one magnification range over another? The low and high end differences don't seem like much, but does the 4x vs 5x range make a difference when using the reticle within the zoom range?

Edit to add- I did try to search for a previous thread on this before asking, but I kept getting a red screen error message

Last edited:
You want to hit up the thread containing @Glassaholic reviews as well as some quality @koshkin content (he's also got a website). They've got a lot of material that walks through the merits and challenges of using different erector ratios.

My lay person take on this -
- Current "state of the art" is a 10x on erector ratio (select optics)
- Current "best of the best" optical systems are in the 5-6x range for "general purpose" use
- 6-24x is a good range for a 4x system; the difference between 24x and 25x won't be the reason you miss a target
- 5x or 6x on the bottom MAY matter depending on reticle, FoV and intended use

The biggest difference isn't necessarily inherent in whether it's a 4x or 5x erector design, but rather who is making what optics and for what use. If you're not buying a 5x or 6x design, there's a decent chance you're not looking at top of the line kit... and the performance difference is going to reflect the quality of the gear more so than any one aspect of its design.

I set up my cz 457 22lr with a vortex pst 6-24. I shoot out to 350 yards. It works great for everything 50 yards and out.

What I’ve noticed is there’s usually a better eye box with the 4x ratio scopes. It also seems like scope companies can put together a 4x erector better for all around use. 5x erectors seem to have a flaw or discrepancy somewhere in the mag range more so than 4x. It could be different in the upper tier optics, but playing around with 1k$ and sub 1k$ optics this is what I’m seeing.

Last edited:
Is there a benefit to use one magnification range over another? The low and high end differences don't seem like much, but does the 4x vs 5x range make a difference when using the reticle within the zoom range?

Edit to add- I did try to search for a previous thread on this before asking, but I kept getting a red screen error message
I’ve been getting the red screen error message as well. Pretty much everything I click on, other than the Forums button is giving me this screen. Can’t search, can’t see my threads under my own profile, etc… Really annoying. Hey @Lowlight y’all aware of this issue?

Reactions: YotaEer
In theory, execution of said theory can vary wildly: the 4x erector system will be easier for a manufacturer/designer to manage with good results than the 5x.

But in todays world most every major player has figured it out by now so the 4-5 difference is a moot point.

The big question is what focal plane the reticle is on.
If it’s a fromt focal the larger the zoom range the more difficult it will be to have the reticle visible at low range without being overly thick and obscuring at high range. So in theory it would be easier with a 4x because it’s just less range it has to cover.
If it’s a second focal plane reticle it makes no difference as the reticle is the same size to your eye regardless of zoom.