• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5-06 accuracy nodes

doubleduck

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2022
auburn
Gents, I am loading for a 6.5-06 with a 24 inch barrel. Nosler has the max H4831 at 49.5 and 2800 fps. I found an accuracy node at 50.5 with no pressure signs but my speed is 2750 with 143 Eld-x. Can anyone tell me how far apart accuracy nodes are likely to be spaced? I have seen some posts with loads around 53 grains and approx 3000 fps but will forego trying to work up if the next node likely exceeds 53 grains. Open to thoughts and input.

Keep going. You’ll see improvement. You need to run a ladder and find pressure. Should be ~55gr (YMMV).

H4831 and SC like to be loaded hot in the 06 case. I personally think that’s why they cut it to begin with, so you can get more in there. My 6.5-06AI doesn’t start pressuring until over 3150 Berger 140 HVLD (26”), you should be good to 3000 at least, but go slow and check for pressure.

Dudes are running Creedmoors at 2950. You have almost 20gr more displacement than them. Pour the sugar to it.

I don’t normally share, and I’ll have to check my load data, but I’m pretty sure I’m running 57 or 58 grains and 3180. Winchester brass gives a bit more boiler, and I’m AI’d so that factors.

My gun is a 1959 Savage that belonged to my dad. It has a mechanical ejector so there isn't an ejector port to look for swipes and overpressure. It does, however, have a rectangular (almost square) groove that extends to the bolt face. Can that cut be used to look for signs of pressure much as one would use an ejector port? I'm hoping not to have to rely solely on my primers to indicate pressure.

Attachments

• Savage.jpg
    Savage.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 19