• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5-06 at 1000 and beyond

jesseanderson2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I don't know anything about this round. However, a friend of mine wants one. Before I left we were only shooting to 600yds. When I get home we are going to work toward the 1k mark then beyond. Is this a good long range round? I will be shooting a 7WSM and a 338LAP at these long distances. Should he look for a better option for these ranges?

Re: 6.5-06 at 1000 and beyond

It'll be fine.

Though if it were me I'd look at a 7-06 since I have so much 30-06 brass and I'd only have to drop down one size. Then he could shoot the same bullets as you. 162amax and 180 bergers.

I am in the same boat. I am in the process of setting up a 6.5-06 for 1000 yrds. The only conscern I have is the bbl life, from what I hear it is 1500 max rounds down the pipe and it is toast. Im going to stick with the 142 SMK's. They shoot great out of my T3 6.5x55. Just my .02

I hear the same about the 7wsm. I read somewhere on this forum that George G got 3k plus out of his. I will have to wait and see for myself. I don't have an endless gun fund but rebarreling every couple years isn't that big of an expense to me. Thanks for the info on the barrel wear I will pass it on to my friend as something he will want to consider. I forgot about to 7-06 that is another great option.

How does the 6.5-06 compare to a 260 rem or a 6.5 CM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How does the 6.5-06 compare to a 260 rem or a 6.5 CM? </div></div>

More velocity and less barrel life than both 260 and 6.5cm. Also, when figuring costs it takes more powder per round.

Yea, 6.5-06 is going to have a lot more gas in the tank. But at that point you may as well consider the 6.5x284 too, unless you are dedicated to a long action. Barrel life is going to be comparable and bad for both of them. You are definitely going to be reloading for both of those rounds as well.

GW,

I run one, it's got at least 500 rounds through the barrel. No problems yet. I've used Lapua, FGMM, and Hornady brass, the rifle seems to like sized up Hornady 25-06 brass with 120 gr. class bullets. N550 or N560 seem to work best with whatever bullet weight you use. If you use the 140 gr. bullets, N165 worked better than anything else. I believe Redding now sells a competition die set for the cartridge, I had to ream out a 25-06 seater when I set mine up.

HTH,
DocB

The 6.5-06 is dynamite, and the AI is even better. It will run a mile for you. I'm in the process of putting one together as I type.

The 6.5-284 needs to be pushed hard to keep pace with the 6.5-06. The -06 case just has more powder capacity.

Barrel life is a concern, but what sold me on the round was 130 JLK's @ 3350+ and 140's as 3200-3250 fps.

The 7mm-06 that was mentioned is a wonderful round. It's more commonly known as the 280 Remington and it will run a mile too with 162 Amax and 180 Bergers or 180 JLK's

The 7 SAUM is a ballistic twin with the same barrel length, and the 7 WSM isn't much ahead of the good 'ol 280. The 280 AI and the 7 WSM or 7mm/300 WSM are all 3 the same end result.

Everything you've listed will max out at pretty close to the same range. The determining factor for results will be boolit mass, the BC's of a good 7mm bullet and a 250 SMK from your 338LM are almost identical.

EDIT: I believe at one point the 6.5-06 was also called the 260 Newton? It died after a short life not because the cartridge isn't excellent, but because the factory ammo doomed it's popularity.

So it’s a barrel burner...What type of barrel life could one expect? I’ve read the 6.5x284 burns barrels in under 2k rounds and this has more powder behind it. Is this round used in comps a lot? I know the 6.5x284 gets a lot of F-class attention but I don't hear about this round too much.

I am a reloading nooooob however; I plan to get proficient when I get home with a lot of practice and guidance from good friends. So please bear with me and forgive my ignorance at times when it comes to unfamiliar rounds.

Here is a really odd question and a little off topic but has anyone ever necked down a 308 to a 7mm? Just wondering since the 308 case has been necked to a 264 and 243? Would it just be a waste of a 7mm since it’s not moving as fast? Thanks for your time guys and the great info. Keep it coming!

I shoot with two guys in Sweden that run 6.5-06:s both have toasted there barrels around 1500 rnds,

one keep on shooting his to 1800, then he started to get irratic pressure signs..

/Christian

I have a few. Lost barrels from 1500 to 2200, depending on a lot of things. This is one hell of a 1000 yard rifle.

The 7mm versions with 180 Bergers or JLK's will out perform the 6.5 140 or 142 versions. But I still have the 6.5's.

The 6.5-06 is a great round. The thing going for it is a longer case neck. A longer case neck helps decrease throat wear, over a 6.5-284. Anytime you neck down a case and push it fast, it will wear barrels faster. The 140 VLD would be awesome in that round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it’s a barrel burner...What type of barrel life could one expect? I’ve read the 6.5x284 burns barrels in under 2k rounds and this has more powder behind it. Is this round used in comps a lot? I know the 6.5x284 gets a lot of F-class attention but I don't hear about this round too much.

I am a reloading nooooob however; I plan to get proficient when I get home with a lot of practice and guidance from good friends. So please bear with me and forgive my ignorance at times when it comes to unfamiliar rounds.

Here is a really odd question and a little off topic but has anyone ever necked down a 308 to a 7mm? Just wondering since the 308 case has been necked to a 264 and 243? Would it just be a waste of a 7mm since it’s not moving as fast? Thanks for your time guys and the great info. Keep it coming!
</div></div>

The 7mm-308 is the "7mm-08" and it's a factory offering in Remington rifles. It's a very effective round, it is easier on the barrels than the 243 (by a lot) also the 260 Rem (6.5-308) and the larger bullet diameter in the 7mm's allows for very similar velocities between 260 Rem 140's and 175gr 7mm bullets from the 7mm-08

The lacking issue in both the 260 and 7m-08 is that they lose powder capacity if you mag feed them in a short action. The long slender bullets use up a lot of the case if you shove the bullets in to feed from the magazine.

The longer neck in the 6.5-06 helps improve it over the 284 based case as it was mentioned.

If used in competition I've seen numbers of 1500 rounds to be about the limit on acceptable 6.5-06 barrels. From casual shooters not heating up the barrels with super hot loads and long strings of fire like F class requires I've heard as high as 2200 rounds before they open to MOA.

Just as an aside, the 284 was envisioned as a replacement for teh 280 Remington that could be fed in a short action. When you seat the bullets short enough to do this, the 284 case is really crippled and doesn't come close to the 280, it's midway between the 280 and the 7mm-08

The 6.5-284 was (rumor has it) groomed to be a short action replacement for the 6.5-06

The nice thing about the 6.5-06 is that it will feed with absolutely no modifications from any standard long action with a 473 bolt face, as opposed to the 284 based cases (either in 284 or 6.5-284)because they have a fatter body and shoulder which is known to hang up on the feed rails, not fit into mags, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.5-06 is a great round. The thing going for it is a longer case neck. A longer case neck helps decrease throat wear, over a 6.5-284. Anytime you neck down a case and push it fast, it will wear barrels faster. The 140 VLD would be awesome in that round. </div></div>

Hey Chad -- how does the longer case neck help? Allows the gasses to build up longer in the case before overcoming neck tension on the bullet or???

Thanks!

Thanks for the very informative post bohem. I never put it together that a 7mm-08 is a necked down 308. This makes sence now.

How about a .264 win mag.Using the same 6.5 bullet and can use 7mm win mag cases..Going to have about the same barrel wear.I love my .264..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titandriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.5-06 is a great round. The thing going for it is a longer case neck. A longer case neck helps decrease throat wear, over a 6.5-284. Anytime you neck down a case and push it fast, it will wear barrels faster. The 140 VLD would be awesome in that round. </div></div>

Hey Chad -- how does the longer case neck help? Allows the gasses to build up longer in the case before overcoming neck tension on the bullet or???
Thanks! </div></div>
More heat is generated in the throat of the barrel on shorter neck calibers than long neck calibers. On the longer necks, like the '06 family, the case neck takes some of the heat versus the barrel throat taking it. It's not a huge difference, but I believe it's enough to last a few more rounds than the shorter necks would.

Just curious, throwing this out there, but what about carbon fiber wrapping the barrel if you are set on the 6.5-06? That should help the life.

It helps cool the barrel, but it should still wear out just as fast. Another note on the carbon wrapped barrels. When you shoot several rounds in a row, the barrel radiates heat. You see this through the scope as mirage off the barrel. It can get so much that you can no longer see the target. It makes a great hunting barrel, but not so good a match barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P M P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a .264 win mag.Using the same 6.5 bullet and can use 7mm win mag cases..Going to have about the same barrel wear.I love my .264.. </div></div>

Even worse than the 6.5-06 for bbl wear. I just sent a 264Win Mag down the road with less than a 1000 shots down the tube. It was a .4" shooter new, and when I got rid of it, it was shooting 1.5". You guys know how it goes, more case capacity, less bbl life. Just my .02
wink.gif

I love this caliber as you may well guess. I've seen it pushed to 1500yds with impressive results. Thats when I decided to build one.
I built a 6.5mm-06 a couple years ago with a 30 inch #10 contour Shilen Select Match on a mauser action. I Have less than 50 rounds through it. it was holding 3 inches at 500 yards before i put it away in the safe and I haven't had time to do more load development with my recent preoccupation with gas guns.

I always figured that if i burned the throat out of it, I could cut the back end off then have it re-chambered and threaded then screw it back on and go another 1500rds.

Anyone done this and ended up with decent results?

65mm06, how are you getting along with the 98 action?? The 264 that I traded off was built on a 98, and functioned flawlessly. The Hart bbl didn't do as good as I thought it should have. I just finished a 6.5-06 on a Rem700 with a 8 twist 26"PacNor bbl. I love it almost as much as my 6.5x55 Tikka.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65mm06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love this caliber as you may well guess. I've seen it pushed to 1500yds with impressive results. Thats when I decided to build one.
I built a 6.5mm-06 a couple years ago with a 30 inch #10 contour Shilen Select Match on a mauser action. I Have less than 50 rounds through it. it was holding 3 inches at 500 yards before i put it away in the safe and I haven't had time to do more load development with my recent preoccupation with gas guns.

I always figured that if i burned the throat out of it, I could cut the back end off then have it re-chambered and threaded then screw it back on and go another 1500rds.

Anyone done this and ended up with decent results? </div></div>

No, the alligator effect in front of the throat can cause chunks to come loose, the wear is there for 5-6" at the time you want to set it back and its not worth the money, even for a hunting barrel. Not for us anyway, and we have done three barrels for a loss this way, not again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhuskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65mm06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love this caliber as you may well guess. I've seen it pushed to 1500yds with impressive results. Thats when I decided to build one.

Anyone done this and ended up with decent results? </div></div>

No, the alligator effect in front of the throat can cause chunks to come loose, the wear is there for 5-6" at the time you want to set it back and its not worth the money, even for a hunting barrel. Not for us anyway, and we have done three barrels for a loss this way, not again... </div></div>

I was told something similar. A barrel setback is something that must be timed before the barrel is shot out. If you set it back at 1000 or 1200 rounds you can potentially see a full second life out of the barrel.

If you shoot it all the way out and then try to set it back you're going to be pissing up a rope.

A barrel with a heavy enough contour (like a 30" truck axle) could afford to have the full chamber and throat hacked off and cut it back to a 24" barrel. This would allow a better chance of getting a setback out of it.

thats what mine is. its 1.6" at the muzzle and 30 inches finished length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Six Five Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">65mm06, how are you getting along with the 98 action?? The 264 that I traded off was built on a 98, and functioned flawlessly. The Hart bbl didn't do as good as I thought it should have. I just finished a 6.5-06 on a Rem700 with a 8 twist 26"PacNor bbl. I love it almost as much as my 6.5x55 Tikka. </div></div>

My combination of mauser/shilen has been equated to towing a Yugo with a luxury motor coach. I built it when i was in college and i used what i had available. Although not ideal by some standards, I love it. I didn't have the scratch for a titanium firing pin at the time so i had the stock pin hollowed. The reduction in lock time is really incredible over the stocker, and i think just as quick as the titanium. I cut the lug from, and narrowed the trigger guard myself. it is smooth as silk and locks down tight. I probably wouldn't do anything differently.