• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos 6.5-06AI

JeffP40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Helena,Mt.
Built by Mike Blatt, I'm lovin' it!

url]

Re: 6.5-06AI

I am really liking it. It is only a 10" twist, so I am a bit handicapped. I would have prefered to shoot 140s, but it is working good with the lighter. I am getting almost 3200 with 7828 and 120b-tips, and 3550 with 4831sc and 100s. With the 100s and a 100yd zero, I am only 20.25 min at 1000yds. About 6.5 min at 550, so it is very flat. I was surprised to see the 100s are a bit flatter even at 1000. Wind will get me a few inches more, but it shoots the 100s into 1/2", so I'm not going to argue! I may have to back down a little, the Win. brass might not last too long, but I have some Rem. I have yet to fireform that I hope will be stronger. It weighs about 7-9gr more than the Win., so I think the web may be thicker and the primer pockets will last. I am also going to try some Magnum, just to see what happens. I have a bunch of 120s, so I would like to use them. If not, I will try to trade them for 100s.

Shooting a 142 SMK at 3000+- FPS = shooting a 142 SMK at 3000+-. Case design is not going to give significant benefit in the area of barrel life, IMHO

Good luck

Jerry

I'm still trying to find "the load" for the 120s. If I don't find something better than I already have, I will try the 107 Sierra. I have shot this in my swede. Nice bullet, I would just rather have a little more weight. I won't know for a while about barrel life! I am hoping for a couple thousand or more. My "burned out" point is going to be a bit less stringent than most, mostly due to the fact that I can't just put a new barrel on whenever I feel like it. As long as it is sub-moa, I'm good. I will probably not shoot paper much at all, just stuff a long ways away. I have several light rifles to shoot groups, including 2 colt Light Rifles to play with, and my "two shots great, one flyer" swede I'm still trying to figure out.
This one has quickly become my favorite!

As far as speeds go, the 120s at 3175, and the 100s at 3550, with 20.25min elev. at 1000.