• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5-284 Berger 156 EOLs

Desert Demon

Keep Your Senses Sharp And Your Powder Dry
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
I finally got some 156gr 6.5 EOLs to try out. Does anyone have some load data for these in the 6.5-284? I have RL26 and some H4831SC. I’ll can BOLO for other powders though.

My current hunting load has been 140gr Berger VLD Hunt on top of 53.0gr H4831SC.

Thanks!

H1K would be Ideal. I ran those with RL26 and got random pressure spikes. axed that and went back to the 140's and retumbo. Been a good combo, running 140's with a 26" tube at 3050.

Reactions: Desert Demon
No, I didn’t have much Retumbo at the time. Plus the 156’s got hard to find and I have a solid stash of 140’s. My thoughts were if it ain’t broke don’t fix it these days.

How much Retumbo are you running with the 140s?
I’m getting 3000 with 53gr H4831SC, but with heavy bolt lift. Once I burn through that, I may hit the RL26 on those too. I don’t have any Retumbo at the moment—but may have some soon.

I was lucky to get a few boxes of 156s, so I would figure I would try those.

In lapua brass I'm using 54.2gr rl26 with 156s, at 2950 fps from a 26" Christensen ridgeline. Shoots 1 hole at 100y, smallest at 500y was just under 2". Rifle wears a hunting scope, not a target scope. I've done a fair amount of work to the rifle, re-stocked, bedded rail, tubb speed lock fp, bna dakota trigger.

H1K would be Ideal. I ran those with RL26 and got random pressure spikes. axed that and went back to the 140's and retumbo. Been a good combo, running 140's with a 26" tube at 3050.
I got some H1000. Where is a good starting point for the 156s? Thanks

I run 53.5 - 54gr R26 with 156s I get 2980-3000 Out of 27” krieger barrel. When it gets above 85 degrees I need to drop to 53.5 because 54 blows primers. Great load fast and accurate you should probably start with 52.5 and work up.

There is more 6.5 PRC info here but some 6.5x284 as well and the same powders should do well. H1000, RL-26 and if you can find N565 that would be my first choice.

I was going to build a long action 6.5x284 on a long action a couple years ago when the 156 EOL was released as a do it all rifle and for everything up to a mile but decided against it as I wanted something much more consistent from 1k-1mile so I ended up with a 300 Norma.

Except for barrel life, I still feel like that 6.5x284 or 6.5 PRC (now that Lapua makes brass) and 156 is a great combination.

I was going to build a long action 6.5x284 on a long action a couple years ago when the 156 EOL was released as a do it all rifle and for everything up to a mile but decided against it as I wanted something much more consistent from 1k-1mile so I ended up with a 300 Norma.

Except for barrel life, I still feel like that 6.5x284 or 6.5 PRC (now that Lapua makes brass) and 156 is a great combination.
Everyone seems to think since lapua brass is available, its now a mainstream cartridge that deserves more attention. The lapua in my test showed pressure about 70fps earlier than ADG in 65 and 300 prc even though it had slightly higher case capacity. This is not just my findings, but several others as well. Adg, in my opinion, is superior in the magnum cases. Now anything 473 or 588 diameter, lapua is superior. But ADG owns the 532 case head market.

Everyone seems to think since lapua brass is available, its now a mainstream cartridge that deserves more attention. The lapua in my test showed pressure about 70fps earlier than ADG in 65 and 300 prc even though it had slightly higher case capacity. This is not just my findings, but several others as well. Adg, in my opinion, is superior in the magnum cases. Now anything 473 or 588 diameter, lapua is superior. But ADG owns the 532 case head market.

I think I had made the decision to go 300 Norma before the jury was out on ADG 6.5 PRC. But good to know for future reference as I hear they are doing 300 WSM and I'm in process of building one.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
I think I had made the decision to go 300 Norma before the jury was out on ADG 6.5 PRC. But good to know for future reference as I hear they are doing 300 WSM and I'm in process of building one.
The adg 300wsm will be excellent, even better with the bullet central micron die!

Where do you think Nosler brass falls in there? I have about 200 once fired (in my gun) cases. So I’m going to be using those.

There is more 6.5 PRC info here but some 6.5x284 as well and the same powders should do well. H1000, RL-26 and if you can find N565 that would be my first choice.
Thanks for sharing this

Reactions: nick338
The adg 300wsm will be excellent, even better with the bullet central micron die!

I will definitely have to consider this, if not for the 300 WSM, at least to compare to my Forster FL in 300 Norma.