• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5/284 Brass Squeezing

x ring accuracy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2008
Parrish, Fl.
www.xringaccuracy.com
Hi All,
I have a rifle chambered for 6.5/284 Win. I mistakenly (insert dumbass) bought some 6.5/284 Norma brass. My question is this, will my dies shrink the norma down eonough or am I stuck with 100 pcs of Lapua brass. Thanks in advance

Re: 6.5/284 Brass Squeezing

I have a 6.5X284 that was originally barreled by Alan Warner when the cartridge was a wildcat. His chamber was too tight for the Lapua brass I wanted to use. Got Precision Rifle at Mebane, NC to set the barrel back (it was time) and give it a current spec chamber. Ray Bowman will flat make a rifle shoot. I would contact him with any questions.

AG

Try it and see. Reamers are cut to so many different specs that you won't know till you try. My first 6.5-284 was off of a Winchester reamer and I sized it with a Redding die and it chambered the Lapua brass with no problems.

I wouldn't happen to know that barrel would I?

David

If your lupua barss fits then its fine, if not I would resize it. What I found with the 6.5 win vs Norma was the throat. It seems the WIN reamers are cut with a shorter throat to allow use with a Short action. The Norma has a longer throat to accomidate longer bullets and to tak advantage of a Long action.

Just what I found. If you have a match cut 6.5 win the lupua brass might not fit.

Willys

Thanks all for the replies. It is a tight cut chamber. The Norma brass has a shoulder dimension that by specs is .2 longer than the win. I will try sizing the brass so it fits, wish me luck : ). Thanks again.