• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 284 NORMA

reeljob

Pastor
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Galax, VA
I am thinking about a new rifle build in 6.5 284 NORMA, I will be using it for competition as well as hunting. Toying with two stocks, one for each application, single stage set trigger, Shilen match barrel, all on a FN mauser action with side safety. Lets hear ya'lls thoughts.

Re: 6.5 284 NORMA

I've owned two rifles chambered in 6.5-284 and really like the cartridge. Someone new to this cartridge must understand that it doesn't offer the best barrel life, but that shouldn't be a factor in a hunting rifle.

If you're serious about using it in formal competition I'd suggest to look for a different action. A 98 Mauser might have too many disadvantages, possibly the biggest being a very slow lock time. My present 6.5-284 is built on a Stiller TAC300 action with a Bartlein barrel and uses an AICS 1.5 LA stock.

Just a few thoughts with no intention of discouraging you
smile.gif

I would build it out of a remington long action if you are trying to stay on a budget..

Mauser actions are strong but are slow lock times and can be difficult to get a good trigger on....

The long action will allow you to seat the bullet out long where it needs to be and will accomidate those long VLD style bullet's

I have a Remmy 721 currently chambered .270 I have toyed with using instead of the Mauser. I picked it up with intentions of going 6.5 0/6 but after rethinking a little I came up with the 6.5 284. I had not thought about lock time on the Mauser but I do remember hearing this from others in the past.I picked up the 721 as a safe gun, it has a orignal Bausch/Lomb 4x with a target dot and adjustable base mounts. This is a piece of history and I might regret the decision to custom build on the action, but I keep playing with the notion. I may decide to sell it later and use the funds to do my custom 6.5 284 build. I also have a Win Mod 70 long action to build on. Alot for me to consider, but I do think this is the caliber I will build. Short barrel life not is not that mush of an issue to me, you have to pay to play and re-barrel as needed. Thanks for the input.