• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5/7 Saum questions: bullet choices for short actions

climbingbubba

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2021
Utah
I want to build up a rifle that will mostly be for shooting 800-2200 yards. I currently shoot PRS/NRL/NRL22 matches and want to expand into the extended long range matches (nightforce ELR) and possibly NRL hunter.

If I can keep it in a short action I have plenty of XLR chassis to swap between rifles.

I've heard you can run into OAL issues with the magazines.

Is anyone here able to run berger 190 long range hybrid targets in 7 saum or 153.5 long range hybrid targets in 6.5 saum?

I want to build up a rifle that will mostly be for shooting 800-2200 yards. I currently shoot PRS/NRL/NRL22 matches and want to expand into the extended long range matches (nightforce ELR) and possibly NRL hunter.

If I can keep it in a short action I have plenty of XLR chassis to swap between rifles.

I've heard you can run into OAL issues with the magazines.

Is anyone here able to run berger 190 long range hybrid targets in 7 saum or 153.5 long range hybrid targets in 6.5 saum?

I'd run it in a Tikka or a long action, don't think you'll be able to run a 190 in a SA without shoving much of it into the case..

I'd run it in a Tikka or a long action, don't think you'll be able to run a 190 in a SA without shoving much of it into the case..
If I'm going to switch to a different action I'd probably just jump up to 28 nosler. The only reason to stay short action would be to share chassis. I have a XLR magnesium element and 2 envy JV Pro.

I built a 6.5 Max on a Tikka, no issues. If you're staying short action and don't want to single load, I'm not sure you'll have the horsepower to stay supersonic over 2K.

I have been successful with 175 ELDX or 168 Berger in mine. (7 SAUM)
120 and 131 Hammer's are on the list for future testing

Last edited:
My 6.5 SAUM is in a SA. I run 140 Berger’s and 153-tips from Accurate mags.

I usually run 180 vlds but have also run 184 hybrids in a short action. 180s at 3k and 184s around 2940

Any issues with mag clearance with the 184's? Have you tried the 190 a tips by any chance?
I’ve run the 190 Berger and 183SMK at SA mag length (2.96)
They do well but are typically jumping a good bit in a standard chamber, that bothers some but I don’t fret about it.
The 183 seems a touch more particular to get the perfect jump but it’s not difficult.
I’d guess the 184 behaves like the 190 and it behaves like the 180 hybrid.
For heavies in a SA mag a dense high energy powder like R26 or N565 is a necessity to get full speeds.
At least is was for me with ADG brass.
2850-2880 in a 28” barrel without wrecking brass, in fact excellent brass life.

168 and 180’s are easy mode though with more powder options.

Reactions: Jakeweb09
Yup I agree with steel head. 180s are the sweet spot for me. I had no issues with feeding, but I’m running in a bld set up with a wyatts box in a hunting rig. I’m running a fairly stiff load of rl26 and have averaged around 8-9 firings on ADG Brass. No issues with 184s but have just had better luck with the 180s, and the added BC is lost with the loss of speed. So it’s basically a wash. If I wanted to shoot the 190-195 I’d probably just go with a larger cartridge in a long action

I'm running 130's, 140's and 144's out of my 6.5 SAUM. No experience with heavier pills or the 7 SAUM

Yup I agree with steel head. 180s are the sweet spot for me. I had no issues with feeding, but I’m running in a bld set up with a wyatts box in a hunting rig. I’m running a fairly stiff load of rl26 and have averaged around 8-9 firings on ADG Brass. No issues with 184s but have just had better luck with the 180s, and the added BC is lost with the loss of speed. So it’s basically a wash. If I wanted to shoot the 190-195 I’d probably just go with a larger cartridge in a long action
That's why I'm kind of considering the 28 nosler for the ELR stuff.

That's why I'm kind of considering the 28 nosler for the ELR stuff.
I know the guys over at gunwerks like the 28 nos for elr comp stuff…but barrels don’t matter to them like they do me lol.

If looking at 28 Nos, might as well go 30 cal for projectile selection, barrel life, and more forgiving loading. I went through the same a while back and ended up with a 6.5 Max and a 300 RUM set up for heavies. If I needed mag fed, the 300 would've been Norma.

Id rather a Sherman if using a short action. Better bullet placement and same speed or slightly more

M700 short action I am running 175 SMK and 180 Berger vld at mag length. No issues. But any heavier your looking at a long action unless you single load them.

Also running 56.9 grains H1000 with the 156’s and have had great luck out past a mile at hat creek. 6.5 saum