• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 and 308 bullet selection

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Been shooting precision rifles for the better part of 20 years but have yet to ever hunt in my life. This year changes it and I don't know a damn thing about hunting bullets. Looking to use what I have and most info I can find online is about large calibers going much faster than what I'll be shooting out of my 6.5 creedmoor and 308win.

16" 6.5creed I can get a 140smk 2500fps
    18" 308 I can get a 175rdf 2580fps.

Can anyone recommend me a few bullets and weights for each that will give good energy dump at those low velocities within 300yrds (realistically I'll be surprised if I ever get a shot opportunity past 150).

Might try the Barnes offerings in 6.5, no personal terminal performance experience(yet)but if they shoot well out of your short barrel I would imagine the 120 ttsx or 127 lrx could work well. Lots of good reviews for what its worth. Loaded up some 127s for a mountain goat hunt that unfortunately didn’t come to fruition but they shot lights out for me, granted out of a 26” tube.

What is your intended quarry? Might help with recommendations.

Reactions: Modoc
    What are you hunting? Lots of deer and elk killed cleanly with smks.

I’ve killed deer with trophy bonded bear claws, amax, eld-m, Barnes TSX, Nosler accubond, swift scirocco, and lost of soft points.

Reactions: BurtG
    I've had good luck with solid copper bullets but you need to keep the velocity up. With your shorter barrels and shots likely 150 and in I'd be perfectly happy running a regular cup and core bullet. Hornady interlocks or similar at those ranges/velocities will get the job done on deer easily. A lot of people like match bullets for hunting, but shot placement is less forgiving than I'd like up close shots like you're describing.

Forgot one of the more important things. Figure this is only for white tail in the east. I'd love to do an elk hunt or mule deer hunt one day but I'll revisit this if I ever get the chance.

The barns lrx was probably at the top of my mind. I've read they have low opening velocity being made for long range.

I have a boat load of smks for both but had read they don't really expand until half way through the animal and most were shot out of a large cartridge going 3k+. Will they still be effective? I really want to keep this as ethical as possible.

If I was going to pick one "one and done" bullet for white tails, it would be the Barnes TSX. But, shoot what shoots straight in your gun. At 300 and in, you don't want anything made for "long range hunting." As a matter of fact, at 150 and in, you should probably be thinking more about something bonded, so that it doesn't shatter immediately upon impact. I've read stories of bullets like the Nosler Ballistic tip (or any thin jacketed polymer tipped "target" bullet) making gruesome entrance wounds that are less than ideal- not reaching the vitals.

I have always used 168g Nosler BT on whitetail at 80 to 225 yds with excellent results in .308 with 43.5g varget out of a 24" barrel. Exit wounds are always impressive. However, I haven't seen them in stock for over 3 yrs. I bought a box of Barnes 175g I will see if I can get group and try those this year.

Reactions: diggler1833
    The bullets you are shooting, hit em in the lungs, and they will work well.
    Esp the SMK

Dont waste powder/primers trying anything else.

Unless you have a known load for 130 Hybrids or 140 ELDMs. Those are top notch too.

My $0.02 and worth what you paid. 😉

In my experience, you're gonna need more MV while going to lighter weight mono to get them to open up. If not, they are just gonna pencil through.

At those velocities, SST or BT would be my choice followed by ELDX and Accubond.

Im a big fan of monolithic solids for hunting. I have used a lot of Barnes TTSX and TSX for killing animals. It would be beneficial to drop down in weight and getting the velocity up, maybe 120s for the 6.5 and 130s for the 308 if you are looking at Barnes.

I have been using the 122gr Cayuga from PVA out of a 6.5 short mag with really good results on antelope, deer, and elk.....but they are starting out at pretty high velocity.

That said I killed an elk last fall at about 70 yards with a 6.8spc shooting a 110gr Barnes TTSX at 2670fps.

If you want to stay at about the same weight and velocity I'd look into Hornady SST and Eldx those both shoot well for me and I have killed a number of animals with them.

what powder are you using to get your 6.5 speed ?
    and again what powder for the 308 ?

Barnes TTSX 120's with about 43.5-44gr H4350/Reloder 16 or 127 LRX with 42.8-43.2 of H4350/Reloder 16. Load em about 0.030-0.050" off the lands.

Should be about 2900-3k out of a 24" with the 120 and 2850-2950 with the 127.

The 165gr Nosler BT has been my "go-to" for killing deer with my .308 for several years now.

A lot of frag inside the chest cavity...and the core has always exited on all but one (frontal spine shot). Jacket separation is something you should count on with this bullet...whether that is a plus or minus for you.

I have never had a great blood trail with this bullet, but I've never had anything run far enough to need to...so there's that.

I've done four spine shots, and three of those have been under 100 yards. All three were deer on the ground before I recovered in my scope from the recoil. I'm certainly not concerned with under-penetration from a non-magnum cartridge and this bullet.

Of the five deer I've done "traditional" shot placements on, the only heart shot went 10 yards, and the other four were double lungs that went ~ 25, 30, 40, and 50 yards...and that 50 yard runner was because I put the bullet way too far back.

I wouldn't hesitate to use other quality bullets, which may even perform better, but I started with the NBT, and I've seen no need to change (yet). My bottom line is that I've put 9 bullets into 9 deer, and had 9 easy recoveries. YMMV.

Last edited:

150/165/180 SST
    178 ELDX

Just leave the 6.5 at home
    2000-how-the-grinch-stole-christmas.gif

Reactions: BurtG
    Literally those loads you have will work. Obviously, this is assuming you can put the bullet in the right place. Seriously, don't sweat it.

Now, if you want to try something else just because it'll be a great excuse to try new bullets... then look at lighter bullets so you can get more speed.

I'd look at 127 LRX or 130 AR hybrid or even 130 TGK for the 6.5.

For the 308, try to find those same bullets but in .30 cal of course...

Good luck!

129 Hornady Interlock
    130 Berger AR hybrid
    135 Berger classic hunter

150 Hornady Interlock
    155 Lapua Scenar

The loads you have will be totally fine. Just put them in the right place.

Last year I used an 18” 6.5cm (140 target hybrid at 2650) to take a deer at 370 yards. It left a nice golf ball size hole, and bled like you were dumping out a jug of milk.
    This year I used a 20” 300wsm (208 eldm going 2700) to take a deer at 300 yards. It passed through and I found bone fragments in the blood trail.

All that to say, match bullets will kill just fine. Especially on deer.

Barnes LRX in both and be done with it. They're meant to expand down to lower velocities than the TSX and TTSX lines and will probably get you to 500 yards with those barrel lengths and maintain enough velocity to expand. Best of all no picking lead shrapnel out of meat.

If it's just for hunting I'd just buy a few boxes of their factory ammo, it has shot very well for me and others I know.

• Love
    Reactions: zeroz and Buckley
    I’m surprised to see no mention of Hornady AMAX. I’ve taken a few deer with them within your intended range.

Are they not discontinued?

I hadn’t heard that. They still seem to be quite available:

Its also still available in loaded ammunition:

https://www.academy.com/p/hornady-a-max®-black™-308-win-168-grain-rifle-ammunition-20-rounds

I like the simple Sierra 165 game king for .308.

Love the Hornady sst line in 6.5- tough bullets. I went down to 123s for my son for his first year. Made for the 6.5 Grendel, but seem to shoot fine out of our 18” Creedmoor.

I hadn’t heard that. They still seem to be quite available:

Its also still available in loaded ammunition:

https://www.academy.com/p/hornady-a-max®-black™-308-win-168-grain-rifle-ammunition-20-rounds

No longer being made by Hornady, except as 168gr 308 and 750 gr 50 cal.

No longer being made by Hornady, except as 168gr 308 and 750 gr 50 cal.

Sounds like we were both right.

Since the OP asked about a good deer round out of 308, I can still recommend the AMAX.

Sad they stopped making it in other calibers. What are they offering in its place?

Reactions: AZAmerican
    I'll put in another vote for the 127LRX in your 6.5. Even with a stubby, you should be able to crank them up to a respectable velocity. I've killed a lot of critters with Barnes bullets & "guided" a lot more. At the ranges stated, I can't think of anything that will work better.

t

Sounds like we were both right.

Since the OP asked about a good deer round out of 308, I can still recommend the AMAX.

Sad they stopped making it in other calibers. What are they offering in its place?
    ELD-M

6.5 Creedmoor - 143 gr ELD-X
    See Rob bring down a canadian moose with one out of his Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor
    go to time stamp 03:45

.308 Winchester, I like Federal Fusion 165 gr. 2700 fps, doesn't drop below 1,000 foot-pounds until a bit past 500 yards.

Reactions: 260284
    If I can get my hands on them before the 12th I think I'm going to try the Barnes LRX bullets. what I find straight from Barnes is their 30cal 175gr opens down to1600fps. At 2500fps muzzle velocity I should be good out to about 375yrds with a 400fps safety cushion. Hurts my head at damn near $1 a bullet but I should be good for anything I'm ever going to hunt without a purpose built rifle.

If I can't get em and tested before the 12th I'll just bring out a 175smk or run my 175rdf. I've got loads for both and know they shoot well, will just make sure I really select my shot placement.

Out of curiosity I pulled a eldm and amax tip out of a bullet. Anyone ever try that on game? Damn big hollowpoint I'd have to imagine expands really well.

If I can get my hands on them before the 12th I think I'm going to try the Barnes LRX bullets. what I find straight from Barnes is their 30cal 175gr opens down to1600fps. At 2500fps muzzle velocity I should be good out to about 375yrds with a 400fps safety cushion. Hurts my head at damn near $1 a bullet but I should be good for anything I'm ever going to hunt without a purpose built rifle.

If I can't get em and tested before the 12th I'll just bring out a 175smk or run my 175rdf. I've got loads for both and know they shoot well, will just make sure I really select my shot placement.

Out of curiosity I pulled a eldm and amax tip out of a bullet. Anyone ever try that on game? Damn big hollowpoint I'd have to imagine expands really well.
    To the $1 per bullet… How many are necessary to develop a load? How many necessary to ‘sight in’ before season? How many deer will you take in your lifetime?

I have more ‘hunting ammo’ loaded than I expect to shoot in several lifetimes- and it’s really not that much ammo. Just load target and match ammo with other bullets.

There are plenty of reports of Eld-m and AMAX bullets taking game- without removing the tips.

I prefer a bullet that can go through a bit of the wrong spot and still work like it should when it gets to the right spot.

hit them in the right spot

My nephew, a new hunter, shot at and killed his first deer last season. 180 yards off sticks, a beautiful shot, especially for his first time. A textbook placement hitting the deer exactly where you’re supposed to when they’re broadside. Only problem was it wasn't broadside, it was quartering on, closer to straight on. lol Oh well, he still hit exactly where he thought the right spot was. ;) Still a bit surprised it didn’t glance off and stay outside the rib cage, but it got in and the deer didn’t go too terribly far.

Good thing about the LRX is if you find it, which is unlikely, it will weigh all but the same when you loaded it. I have now recovered 3 in the I dont know how many and the biggest variance was 7 grains. Out of on 06 a 168 .308 weighed 161, most of one petal broke off. That bullet hit a bull elk in the chest at steep uphill angle drove through vitals and destroyed 3 vertebrae before coming to rest against the skin atop his spine. Another went through and shattered the humerus of a BIG bull elk at 425 yards on the near side through the ribs, lungs, then through a shoulder blade on the far side and was up against the skin on the far side. It weighed 163 with half a petal broken off. The other was a big pig shot running with a grendel through the shield and it was against the far side skin as well. 6.5 127 LRX weighed 125. Tiny little piece of one of the petals broke off. All the others have passed through, left devastating would cavities and wasted zero meat to lead spatter. The three recovered were opened beautifully, even the grendel which is pretty anemic out of a 12.5" AR using H-4895.

So... In 308? The 150 sst. I load. Them over accurate 2520 and. Fling them near 2750 from a 18" seekins. The things they touch die.

Reactions: rdsii640
    If whitetail are what you are after, go with a decent quality 150 grain in your .308. While 6.5’s have been taking down game a lot bigger than deer (moose) for 1.2 centuries, usually it is with a rifle that shoots a very heavy for caliber bullet out of a barrel that does not hinder performance. That said, I would not waste my time dragging a 6.5 with a 16 inch barrel into the woods unless I was going to limit my shots.

Elk, the .308 might do, (actually either of your rifles would be fine with 22-24 inches of barrel) but Elk are tough, and elk tags are hard (and Expensive) for us east of West Texas to garner. That said, gonna spend 5K or more for a hunt, get a rifle capable. Something along the line of a decent 7mm or 30. (the ancient old .30-06 would be fine. A 35 Whelen is Excellent, but then owning two of them, I am a bit biased)

I use a .25-06 for deer. My wife uses a .243. With Nosler Partitions, very good results. Been using Berger VLD hunting int he .25. Does the job.

Reactions: Modoc
    SST's kill, no doubt. That said, its the bullet that made me go Barnes. After wasting a bunch of elk meat to their grenading lead spatter I swore them off and went copper.

Reactions: powdahound76
    Amax / eld m , tmk

Lots of good choices.

Heck I’ve heard 95 vmax out of a 18” 6.5 will stack em up with proper placement

I shoot the Hammer Hunter line of bullets now, I have 180s for my .300 win mag, and 124s for my PRC. So far, a couple of elk and a mountain goat under my belt with that bullet. Great blood trails with that bullet so far. That being said, I agree with some of the posts above. 300 and under for whitetails, I feel like almost anything would work.

Waaaay too much thot goes into bullets for deer hunting 400yds and in. Just load a Sierra gameking and go hunting!!!
    YEP.
    I pulled a eldm and amax tip out of a bullet. Anyone ever try that on game
    Shot lots of cow elk with the 140 ELDm out of a 6.5 Creedmoor. Mostly 3-500 yard shots and the bullet at that range seems to perform great.

Also, a good old fashioned Nosler Partition is tough to beat. They have always shot well out of about anything I have in my arsenal, and their on game performance is boringly predictable.

Forgot one of the more important things. Figure this is only for white tail in the east. I'd love to do an elk hunt or mule deer hunt one day but I'll revisit this if I ever get the chance.

The barns lrx was probably at the top of my mind. I've read they have low opening velocity being made for long range.

I have a boat load of smks for both but had read they don't really expand until half way through the animal and most were shot out of a large cartridge going 3k+. Will they still be effective? I really want to keep this as ethical as possible.
    Then anything will work. You do not need hunting bullets to kill deer. Hell, 55gr FMJ drops them like its hot.

I get deer by putting salt on the tail of the deer.

@FUNCTIONAL
    Dont spend too much time splitting hairs over this. Your shooting Whitetail deer at ranges under 200 yards. Any factory hunting ammo will get the job none if you do your part. The difference between the 6.5, and .308 bullets at your range is not worth thinking about. Just go with what you shoot best.

I also hunt for Whitetails in the East ( NYS ADK).

Good luck!