• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 BR, short barrel, hunting rifle. Am I crazy?

Kanwhitetails

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2018
Central Kansas
Mission: Short action, competition "grade", ground-blind oriented, short barrelled, suppressed hunting rifle.

I own an Impact on an MCS TCS, with a Kahles 6-24 in 6BR. The thing shoots much better than I can, yadda yadda. I'm planning to form 1 the action for this project, if it comes to be.

Seeing how easy-mode the BR variants are, as well as how efficient the case is, I don't see a downside to necking up some Lapua brass and running a short barrelled 6.5 BR. I've read that some of the guys experimenting with this cartridge in 2008-9 were seeing 2800fps or more pushing 140s. Maybe even 2900 but that was really pushing it, even for BR guys... Also, this was from 26" barrels. Assuming 30fps per inch, cutting 14", I'm guessing a loss of 420fps from their numbers?

My question is, does anyone know or can anyone help me get a good idea what velocity to expect from a 12" 6.5BR, pushing 130 Berger VLDHs?

If I can't get 2600 fps from a 12-14" barrel, then I might re-think. Even at 2500 fps it's worth doing to me, but getting 2600 is the goal.

I would say 2800-2900 in a 26” barrel was really pushing things considering what most of us get with 140’s in their creedmoors.

That is stupid fast.....and I would say bs

I load a 105 with 31 gr of varget and that case is pretty full with a 6bra.

I have no idea how you would get close to the 41ish grains needed to push a 6.5 140 to 2800 like in a 6.5cm.

My 16" 6.5 only gets 2500ish fps same load fyi

I've read that some of the guys experimenting with this cartridge in 2008-9 were seeing 2800fps or more pushing 140s. Maybe even 2900 but that was really pushing it... but getting 2600 is the goal.
This is a huge LOL NO, you are lucky to get 2,600 with 140 from an short barreled 6.5 Creedmoor.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Right, right. I knew all this internally, but wanted to believe in the BR magic.

The re-reading of the information I found online (a message board, I should have known better) States 2750-2800 out of the 6.5BR and 140s, and was published in oh-eight. I'm still thinking BS, even if it was a special reamer... The post that mentioned 2900 fps was a guy talking about a 6.5x284 later on. I should have read more carefully. I mean, who comments on a 6.5 BR thread about a totally unrelated cartridge, am I right?

I'm getting 2960 from my 26 inch 6BR running 108s, and am starting to see pressure. I thought magic existed in the efficiency of the case I guess...

I refer to published statements like "The 30BR is even more efficient than the 6BR. It can drive 120gr bullets faster than other cartridges, such as the 6.5-08, which burn 30% more powder", and "6BR shooters may be amazed at the speeds with which the 30BR can push 112-125gr bullets. After all, a standard 6BR case is hard-pressed to drive a 107gr SMK much past 2950fps even with a 30″ tube. The 30BR’s larger bore diameter is what makes that possible" in my defense. I realize too, that this is about the 30BR, but information may have melded into the ideal in my head somewhat.

I was hoping that it could be done, even if pushing brass harder than normal that I'd removed from the competition rotation, and wasn't worried about saving. (E.T.A. - Which is pretty stupid, I know better...)

This seems like a ridiculous amount of effort to keep your buddies from making fun of you for shooting a creed. Just close your eyes and step off the creedmoor ledge, we are all down here already.

This seems like a ridiculous amount of effort to keep your buddies from making fun of you for shooting a creed. Just close your eyes and step off the creedmoor ledge, we are all down here already.
I started with Creed. No shame in it as far as I'm concerned.

I figured I'd eventually be told to just go bigger. Which would be fine, if the muzzle blast wasn't a thing. The idea is short and quiet, with no flame from the can. I want to spit bullets, not burn holes in my blind... lol

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
As others have said my 6.5x47 with 140s and 26” barrel is running 2757 and that’s quite a bit bigger case than the BR.

My 26” Dasher with 112’s is running 2840

My 6br with 108 ELDM’s and 26” barrel is running 2880 and it’s pretty hot, really need to slow it down.

Just more reference points for you.

What distances are you wanting to shoot? Why not something like 300 blackout? 375 raptor ect. Something designed for short barrels and supressors

Reactions: Kanwhitetails
Alright. Then, does anyone know the lower velocity limit expansion threshold of the 130s?
Nosler 129 lower threshold is around 1350fps.
“IF” you can find some!

Reactions: Kanwhitetails
Right, right. I knew all this internally, but wanted to believe in the BR magic.

The re-reading of the information I found online (a message board, I should have known better) States 2750-2800 out of the 6.5BR and 140s, and was published in oh-eight. I'm still thinking BS, even if it was a special reamer... The post that mentioned 2900 fps was a guy talking about a 6.5x284 later on. I should have read more carefully. I mean, who comments on a 6.5 BR thread about a totally unrelated cartridge, am I right?

I'm getting 2960 from my 26 inch 6BR running 108s, and am starting to see pressure. I thought magic existed in the efficiency of the case I guess...

I refer to published statements like "The 30BR is even more efficient than the 6BR. It can drive 120gr bullets faster than other cartridges, such as the 6.5-08, which burn 30% more powder", and "6BR shooters may be amazed at the speeds with which the 30BR can push 112-125gr bullets. After all, a standard 6BR case is hard-pressed to drive a 107gr SMK much past 2950fps even with a 30″ tube. The 30BR’s larger bore diameter is what makes that possible" in my defense. I realize too, that this is about the 30BR, but information may have melded into the ideal in my head somewhat.

I was hoping that it could be done, even if pushing brass harder than normal that I'd removed from the competition rotation, and wasn't worried about saving. (E.T.A. - Which is pretty stupid, I know better...)
Where to start…

Does any of this really make sense to you? Does it seem even remotely reasonable? If it does, you're batshit crazy. The person who wrote what you quoted lives in fantasy land.

Reactions: Huskydriver
@Baron85 The spot where I hunt is 50-450 yards, longest shot possible probably 400. I'd like to keep 1k foot pounds to at least 400. That was why I went to the 6.5 over just running a short 6BR. If the rifle turned out as precise as my 6BR, energy wouldn't be as necessary though. I can hit a 4" plate anywhere in the property, with shockingly little effort for my skill level. KYL racks will teach you and humiliate you. You learn to trust yourself and your equipment though. If I could do the same with the short BR, I wouldn't hesitate to take the 400 yard shot. I limit myself to 250 with my 12" gas Grendel, which is what I blind hunt with now. It's good, but it's nothing compared to the Impact in a Manners. I just can't do with it what I do with my comp gun.

To clarify, I run 2780 in my 6BR. I just ran up to 32.6 grains of SWPrecision to find maximums, and got to 2960 fps. The bolt was very sticky, the case head was pretty flat. Primer was flat, but not loose. I wouldn't run that load, it was as you correctly pointed out, too hot.
32.1 grains was probably too hot, too. That was probably what I'd call max, even if the brass wasn't showing all that much in the way of pressure. 31.0 gets me to 2780, which leaves some room for moisture, dust, ect without worrying about popping primers or sticky ejection.

Where to start…

Does any of this really make sense to you? Does it seem even remotely reasonable? If it does, you're batshit crazy. The person who wrote what you quoted lives in fantasy land.
Until now, I though Accurateshooter was a reasonably good source...

I already said what you have about the 6.5 BR info...

6.5x47 is what you seek. All the goodness of the 6br in a 6.5 caliber.

Reactions: Superjet
I have an 18” 6.5 X 47 that I use for whitetail. It’s running 130 hybrids at 2650 with RL 16. Excellent deer round.