• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Bullets Which Would You Choose?

Lowe Left

Chief
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Arizona
Ok for the tac-match game:

Pick the 6.5 bullet that best suits your need. Majority of your shots will be mostly inside 1000 yards. Occasional 1000+ yard shot during comps. Must be able to load in an "unmodified" AICS magazine. Keep in mind performance, seating-depth sensitivity, cost, whatever else you can think of.

What do you, would you, will you shoot in a 6.5 short action platform?

<span style="font-weight: bold">sorry to you guys that voted/posted quick, I changed my requirment of "from 700 yards and in" to "inside 1000". So shoot me. But, if you were going to shoot me, what 6.5 bullet would you use?</span>

Re: 6.5 Bullets Which Would You Choose?

Lots of good bullets there. Only a few bad choices. 123gr AMax pretty good choice as well.

I switched to the 140 hybrids and they are plain sick. They shoot so well for me.

Given your 700 and in and desire to use standard AICS mags, 142 smk.

I voted 140 amax because thats what I shoot in my creedmoor. Great bullet and pretty cheap. Good for way past 1000 yards.. well not GOOD but its possible. However, the 123 amax's would probably be a good choice to 700 because of the speed advantage and a couple dollars cheaper/ 100 bullets.

Damn I meant to include the 123 Amax too. Sorry about that marksmen.

The 140 AMAX gets it done for me shooting a Creedmoor. It is hard to beat for the combination of price/performance.

Honestly, if I'm going to shoot you, I want somthing with more expansion!!
If not going that route, I'll take the Norma.

If I had more gun than a 6.5x47, I would be all over that 140 Hybrid like a faggot on a corndog!

I think you left out one of the best overall 6.5mm bullets on the market... Hornady 140 BTHP.

Extremely accurate, good velocity, can load them long in an AICS mag and very forgiving with regard to distance off the lands and inexpensive. Think 139 Scenar for 70% the cost.

John

The 130 JLK is the bullet, but when you cant get those the 123 Scenar is my second choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you left out one of the best overall 6.5mm bullets on the market... Hornady 140 BTHP.

Extremely accurate, good velocity, can load them long in an AICS mag and very forgiving with regard to distance off the lands and inexpensive. Think 139 Scenar for 70% the cost.

John </div></div>

These *really* shoot in both my 260 and my partners.

However, I believe the BC is a fair bit better for the 140hpbt than it is for the 139 Scenar.

Several of us have found G1=.58 to work very well for the 140hpbt, and Litz claims .56 for the 139.

Just saying...it's *better* than the 139 - for 70% the cost!

Agree with another responder, we're using the Hornady 140BTHP and couldn't be happier with it's performance out to 1000 yards. Works great at mag length, isn't picky at all and loves sneaking up on those little targets at the longer distances. Shoots nearly identical and can switch between them and the 139 Scenars in a pinch with a lot cheaper cost.

Topstrap

may need to pick up a box of the 140BTHP to replace the Amax's ( a tiny bit cheaper and seems people like it).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">may need to pick up a box of the 140BTHP to replace the Amax's ( a tiny bit cheaper and seems people like it). </div></div>

But you've gotta admit the Amaxs look sexier.

I find it extremely hard to put my 2cents in without know chamber dimensions and twist rate. My Smith's 260Rem reamer has no lead, .297 neck, I supplied a dumby round with a 139 Scenar ojive measurement of 2.150, that is really short, I shot 1500 rounds of 139's at the lands then 1500 rounds of 140Amax .015 off, and another 700 142SMK loaded at 2.87 coal, all shot bug holes, my charge from day 1 was 41.7 H4350, now it's 44.5, this spits out my pills at 2800fps ish, I only use CCi 200 primers and Win 7-08 or 243 resized and neck turned in my 260.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">may need to pick up a box of the 140BTHP to replace the Amax's ( a tiny bit cheaper and seems people like it). </div></div>

But you've gotta admit the Amaxs look sexier. </div></div>

That is very true.

140 AMAX's here. Was shooting 142 SMK's, but the Hornady's are $10 per box cheaper, and seem to shoot the same POI as the Match Kings in my rifle. Win, win situation all around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">may need to pick up a box of the 140BTHP to replace the Amax's ( a tiny bit cheaper and seems people like it). </div></div>

No, no, no, no, no... You don't want to do that. The 140hpbt really suck. Terrible bullet. Just let jokers like me shoot them all.
wink.gif

My partner bought a box of the new Berger 140 hybrids. We worked up a load using pretty much the same charge as the hornady 140hpbt.

At 600 yards, there wasn't more than an inch of difference in drop between the hornadys and Bergers.

Doesn't seem like the real BC of the Berger can be a whole lot more than the hornady...?

I like the Berger 140s I want one bullet for hunting and comps and my gun loves them compared to the Amax

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My partner bought a box of the new Berger 140 hybrids. We worked up a load using pretty much the same charge as the hornady 140hpbt.

At 600 yards, there wasn't more than an inch of difference in drop between the hornadys and Bergers.

Doesn't seem like the real BC of the Berger can be a whole lot more than the hornady...? </div></div>

Hornady's 0.580 vs. Berger's 0.618 models to ~1.5" difference in drop at 600yds, assuming they were going the same exact muzzle velocity (huge assumption there), so your ~1.0" difference isn't that far from what theory says it should be. Of course, in the real world, I would doubt you could shoot and see the difference in BC's on paper at 600yds (1.5" is .25moa at 600 - not many folks can shoot .25moa at 600).

Maybe you would see it on paper at 1000, where the difference in BC then opens up a 14" difference in drop. But you would really need to have good idea of the MV of each bullet to fully understand effect of BC vs MV.

I found the 140 SMK's to be really good out of my 260 - shoot accurately out to 1300 yards. I know they don't have the best bc but they work in my rifle and reach out plenty far enough.

Anybody else have any real world experience with the hornady 140 bthp past 1000 yds?

How about comparison vs Amax, berger vld, or scenars

I've shot them to 1300+ and they held well under moa. The Berger 140 VLD's were the shit, but they were like a high maintenance woman... constantly in need of attention (chasing the lands).

I've shot the 139's to the same distance and cannot tell the difference other than just a touch less elevation (and quite a bit more cash)than the 140's.

John

Nothing wrong with any of the choices but I stick with SMK's and they have never done me wrong.

I am pretty sure the best bullet out of all those might be the 130 JLK's

With a .600 confirmed BC, the others just can not touch that!

They are very much worth the extra few cents in costs compared to other bullets, but they might be hard to get ahold of.

You tell me, if you're switching bullets based on twist rate, what're you gonna run?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What twist rate????????? </div></div>

Some great feedback shooters! I apologize for not getting ALL the 6.5 comp bullets on the list. I guess I should've taken a little more time to compile it.

So far the big 3, 142SMK, 140Amax and 139 Scenar are tied at the top.

The information on the Hornady 140 BTHP is awesome especially if it acts similar to the Lapua which is, in my opinion, probably the easiest bullet I've ever loaded and I hear the same from a lot of 6.5 shooters. I had the issues with JLK availability at one point too.

Been using the 140 AMAX in my Creedmoor for over 4 years in unmodified AICS mags and they work great.

The norma 130gr golden targets have caught my attention. They're a lot cheaper than Berger's 130 and the BC is a slightly higher going by Litz's numbers. Now if they'll shoot is the question.

I tried the Norma 130gr Golden Targets earlier this year, but I simply couldn't dial in a good consistent load with them. Out of five shots I'd put 4 shots into a good group and ALWAYS get a flier. Now I'll be the first to admit it might have been my reloading equipment/practices or brass/primer combo...but the 140gr Amax has been much more consistent for me. Either a given load with the Amax shoots, or it doesn't.

I did notice they performed better from my barrel (26" 1:8 twist 260) at 2900 +/- 30fps, but at that speed they really didn't do anything the 140gr Amax at 2810fps wouldn't do...especially since I only have a maximum of 700 yards to shoot.

Add me to the list of folks that like the 123gr Amax. I shoot a very mild load (39.3gr Varget @ 2930fps) with them and they perform very well.

I would like to taste the 140 HPBT koolaid, though...

I think peoples opinions are all fine and dandy, but what it comes down to is how confident you are in your gear(to include bullet selection). Not to mention each gun is gonna shoot a little different with each bullet.

I'd like to see a test of different bullets with the same variables and see which one has the least drop/least wind deflection/most accurate.

I've used the 139scenars pretty regularly over the past several years and am happy with them. The Amax and the SMK are very good as well. Unfortunately people are voting with their wallet instead of objective testing.

For Creedmoor and .260 - 140 berger hybrids if you have the right twist and a long enough magazine.

For 6.5x47 - 130 Berger VLD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately people are voting with their wallet instead of objective testing. </div></div>

Perhaps <span style="font-style: italic">some people</span> are, but I don't know who.

The 140hpbt from Hornady shoots WELL UNDER .5 moa out of my rifle, and has a verified ~.58 BC. The low price is icing on the cake.

And before I get called out on the "well under" .5 moa claim:

I threw out a target I was shooting to submit to the friendly 100 yard competition here. Prior to pulling a shot on my 5th group, I had four sub .25 MOA groups going. I'll try again this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd like to see a test of different bullets with the same variables and see which one has the least drop/least wind deflection/most accurate.</div></div>

Me too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately people are voting with their wallet instead of objective testing. </div></div>

Yes some people pick a bullet based on price. I did (partially). I started with a box of Amax's and since I was satisfied with how my rifle shot them I never tried anything more expensive because 1. I'm a college student so I'd rather have a cheaper bullet that will get the job done as opposed to the best bullet out there. 2. For the same price I can send more "match grade" rounds down range using a cheaper bullet that shoots satisfactorily in my rifle.

Also, keep in mind the OP stated that the intended use will be for out to 700 yards the majority of the time and to vote on factors such as cost, performance and other factors.

so far, I have loaded 120 SMK, Amax, berger T BT, 123 scenars and sierra plus a boat load of sierra and hornady 140, over 500 of the sierra 142 SMK
I haven't found a bad bullet yet and they all work great to 900 with the 142 passing 1250 with flying colors.
I just buy whatever I can find now and shoot them
the 260 is easy like that.

op also put out there "cost" and the type of bullet to meet your needs.

so yeah, choices based on both include price. if using in a 3 gun close range match, why would anyone choose a top shelf expensive match bullet?

My cost analysis wasn't meant to be derogatory, its a fact in a lot of peoples world that they have to watch their every penny.

I've had great success with both the 140 and 130 JLK's. Not only do they have the highest BC's out there for the 6.5's, but I've found them extremely easy to tune and both like to be jammed or jumped in my rifles. However, with the recent price increases to $55 a 100, I think I'll switch to the Hybrids when I run out of the 5000 or so I have on hand.