• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Carcano

AZgeek

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2014
Tucson AZ
I’ve got a friend who is an avid military surplus rifle shooter/collector. He’s harassing me about not having or wanting one of these rifles. He goes as far as calling me out as “not a real Italian” for not having one. I’m 100% Italian BTW. I’ve got my share of M1 Garands and Carbines. I even have two Garands made from Italian receivers so I basically ignore his badgering.

I just don’t see any redeeming qualities for the rifle or the caliber. I hate the rifle more so than the caliber. Am I less of an Italian for not having one?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If you don’t see the beauty or value…that is your choice! Your buddy may have a different opinion and that is fine; if he wants one, good for him!

Reactions: FuhQ
My augment is that the 6.5 Carcano has no practical use any longer. Unlike 6.5 Swede or 30-06 for example. Other than having a piece of history, it sucks.

Reactions: USK308
Ciao!

I have some Italian in my bloodline, and my wife is 100% Italian.

Earlier this year, I traded an ugly Arisaka for a nice 6.5 Carcano. It has no import stamps so it is believed to be a GI "bring back". So far I have only purchased dies for it but want to get out and shoot it soon.

Ciao man!

My buddie says it was the first "intermediate" round ever developed. Anyone know if that's true? He also has the 6.5 Jap version. No idea how they compare.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I’ve got a friend who is an avid military surplus rifle shooter/collector. He’s harassing me about not having or wanting one of these rifles. He goes as far as calling me out as “not a real Italian” for not having one. I’m 100% Italian BTW. I’ve got my share of M1 Garands and Carbines. I even have two Garands made from Italian receivers so I basically ignore his badgering.

I just don’t see any redeeming qualities for the rifle or the caliber. I hate the rifle more so than the caliber. Am I less of an Italian for not having one?
You know you can find new friends, right?

Ciao man!

My buddie says it was the first "intermediate" round ever developed. Anyone know if that's true? He also has the 6.5 Jap version. No idea how they compare.
All of the guns that I purchase are for fun. Some of them will work well if the 2nd Amendment ever needs to be exercised, but I don't consider shooting a chore or a job.

I have fun shooting guns like these at largish steel targets, between 50 and 300 yards. It's always a challenge to see what you can do with iron sights.

All of the guns that I purchase are for fun. Some of them will work well if the 2nd Amendment ever needs to be exercised, but I don't consider shooting a chore or a job.

I have fun shooting guns like these at largish steel targets, between 50 and 300 yards. It's always a challenge to see what you can do with iron sights.

Oh for sure, Still like the M1 Garand best for open sights. I believe he is going to gift me a Carcano since I refuse to buy one. In that case I'll own one.

I've been shooting the 6.5 Carcano since 1964. One of my favorite surplus calibers. I run NM MILSURPS, a long range surplus military firearm club. We shoot 50 Saturdays a year.
I ran a test a few years back on how well the round,as issued, would penetrate a 1" thick steel plate at 300 meters, The round almost went through! This was the down fall of the cartridge as loaded by the Italian military. It zipped through the enemy troops like a flying drill bit. The Britt's called the flesh wounds an "Innie Outie". Almost no energy dump unless it hit large bone.
Over the last 30 years I've run many test on 6.5 Carcano, 6.5 Jap, 6.5 Greek (6.5 M/S,) 6.5 Dutch and of course the 6.5 Swede.
The latter calibers having been used in wars for many years. At the turn of the last century, the 6.5 M/S killed many elephants in Africa.
Our forefathers were brilliant gun and cartridge designers. The Carcano action is one of the strongest made. The gain twist rifling in the '91 rifles is a brilliant design, and it works and increased barrel life by many hundreds of rounds.
The so called Torpedo bullet of 139-160 grains is impressive with its retained energy on target. And they are accurate in the hands of a shooter that knows how to shoot them.
I've shot all of the above calibers at my range at 800 meters. All did very well on target. My rifles are very good to unissued condition. Not Beaters with thousands of rounds threw them and poorly maintained.
"lets design a 6.5 caliber to fit in the AR type platform"...like the 6.5 Creedmoor. ....Gee a long 6.5 bullet really flies well!
Yes the cartridges listed are old, but they worked well and were deadly at 1,000 yards.

I recently built a few Mauser rifles. The one on the left is in 8mm and the other in 6.5 Swede. I built another (not shown) 8mm for my insane friend. But I really like the 6.5 Swede best.

1709083239294.png

I've been shooting the 6.5 Carcano since 1964. One of my favorite surplus calibers. I run NM MILSURPS, a long range surplus military firearm club. We shoot 50 Saturdays a year.
I ran a test a few years back on how well the round,as issued, would penetrate a 1" thick steel plate at 300 meters, The round almost went through! This was the down fall of the cartridge as loaded by the Italian military. It zipped through the enemy troops like a flying drill bit. The Britt's called the flesh wounds an "Innie Outie". Almost no energy dump unless it hit large bone.
Over the last 30 years I've run many test on 6.5 Carcano, 6.5 Jap, 6.5 Greek (6.5 M/S,) 6.5 Dutch and of course the 6.5 Swede.
The latter calibers having been used in wars for many years. At the turn of the last century, the 6.5 M/S killed many elephants in Africa.
Our forefathers were brilliant gun and cartridge designers. The Carcano action is one of the strongest made. The gain twist rifling in the '91 rifles is a brilliant design, and it works and increased barrel life by many hundreds of rounds.
The so called Torpedo bullet of 139-160 grains is impressive with its retained energy on target. And they are accurate in the hands of a shooter that knows how to shoot them.
I've shot all of the above calibers at my range at 800 meters. All did very well on target. My rifles are very good to unissued condition. Not Beaters with thousands of rounds threw them and poorly maintained.
"lets design a 6.5 caliber to fit in the AR type platform"...like the 6.5 Creedmoor. ....Gee a long 6.5 bullet really flies well!
Yes the cartridges listed are old, but they worked well and were deadly at 1,000 yards.
The gain twist rifling that early on is interesting but that's about it for me. I have two Italian M1 Garand's so my Italian heritage is in tact!

Forgot to mention that if anyone is unsure if the Timney trigger for large ring Mausers really works, it does! Superb!