• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 6.5 CM 147 EDL Match and cow elk question

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Anyone try 147 EDLs out of a 6.5 CM on cow elk. Theyre suppose to be target loads, but would they work on cow elk or should I stick with the 143 ELD-X's.

I have had excellent results with the ELD-X on Antelope but havent tried them on elk.
I just have an elk tag and was thinking about trying the 147s.

People on LongRangeHunting seem to have had good luck on cow elk with the 147 ELD-M, as long as shot placement is good.

ELDMs expand really really well and violently.

I prefer them over 143s. I probably wouldn’t punch it directly in the shoulder but keep it back a touch, but I don’t like shoulder shots anyway and wouldn’t send anything 6.5 minus a monolithic into an elk shoulder to begin with.

Reactions: lash
There's a pretty good write on LongRangeHunting done by Cody. He said everything died but he wasn't impressed with them. So I think he went back to the Berger 140gr.

I know that on deer at 365 yards they will punch through everytime shooting the point of the shoulder. I did not see anything resembling violent expansion. They did expand cleanly from what I could tell from the exit would. I shot several at this distance. At closer distances such as 150 yards i did see more expansion. Factory 147eldm are my hunting load.

I've watched my dad kill 4 elk in the last 3 years with them in his Creedmoor. 3 were bang flop and the 4th stood for a few seconds before going down. The closest was 150yds and the furthest was 400.

Reactions: 260284
Bull elk fell over dead at 300yd with a Barnes 127 lrx just fyi