• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM BCG Help

For that money there are many others I'd use that are tried and proven.

I recently tested the Fail Zero EXO coated 308 BCG that was on sale for $199.99 at Primary Arms a month ago in my budget AR10 308 build thread. Looks like it's back up to $249.99. It headspaced great to my Wilson 18" 308 barrel and is nice and easy to clean up.

http://www.primaryarms.com/fail-zero...z-ar10-01-nh_2

Last edited:
I picked up the above for a little under $160. If it doesn't work out for my 6.5CM, I'll just buy a JP high pressure bolt and call it a day I guess.

For 6.5cm....What barrel? I personally wouldn't fire a 6.5cm AR10 unless my barrel was headspaced to my bolt or I checked headspace with my Go and No Go gauges...

Haven't gotten there yet, but will most likely be going with a Bartlein. I'll be checking my headspace when I get to that point.

If your going with a Bartlein you'll want to make sure you send the Smith spinning it up your bolt so they can headspace it when spinning up the barrel. Then you'll be good.

Was going to get it from Precision Firearms, so I'll contact them and see if they'll let me ship them my bolt to properly headspace it.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
The only AR10s/AR-10s are those made by Armalite.
Everything else is either manufacturer-specific (e.g..SR-25, etc.) or generically termed a .308 AR.

I am on a mission to proselytize this point on every thread where I see the words AR10 or AR-10 referring to a non-Armalite pattern rifle. :D
Even within Armalite rifles, there is the original Armalite AR-10 pattern, then the AR-10B (during the ban years, under new ownership), and the newest AR-10A series.

I hate to get super autistic on this point, but since large frame ARs are not nearly as standardized as the AR-15, this confusion can lead to all sorts of incompatibility, headaches and wasted $$$.

Specifically, the Aero Precision M5 series is based off the DPMS LR-308 pattern.

Yeah, with .308 semi-auto, I cannot reinforce Pandom's comments, but for any barrel. Unless you are buying the barrel and the bolt from the same company, you will need to have the bolt headspaced, and that means before the barrel extension is placed on the barrel. There is nothing standard. There are some good combos out there, from a common brand that do well. Some are very expensive and some are not. On the more affordable side is Armalite, Stag, DPMS.

Was going to get it from Precision Firearms, so I'll contact them and see if they'll let me ship them my bolt to properly headspace it.

Precision Firearms is a rip off.. save your money and have Compass Lake spin up your Barrel. Get your blank from Bugholes.com

Or just buy a JP Barrel and be done with it.

Precision Firearms is a rip off.. save your money and have Compass Lake spin up your Barrel. Get your blank from Bugholes.com

Or just buy a JP Barrel and be done with it.

Could you elaborate on what makes them a ripoff?

$340 for a barrel blank, $45 for a DPMS barrel extension, then barrel still needs to be chambered, contoured, and crowned at minimum. $650 total seems like a good deal to me, but please educate me if I'm wrong.

For that money you can have PVA spin you up a tack driver with +2 gas and comes with a gas tube. I also went with a JP barrel extension which is more refined than others which is easier on brass. Doesn't have sharp edges like the BAT extensions I had.

I can understand going with a higher quality barrel extension, but I've had good experience with precision firearms before and I'll I've been given this far is someone can give me a $15 had tube. (No offense) just apparently I'm not understanding fully.

Could you elaborate on what makes them a ripoff?

$340 for a barrel blank, $45 for a DPMS barrel extension, then barrel still needs to be chambered, contoured, and crowned at minimum. $650 total seems like a good deal to me, but please educate me if I'm wrong.

Are you seriously giving me attitude, when you're the one asking for Fucking help?? "educate me if I'm wrong"

I'm not giving you attitude, I'm seriously asking you to educate me if I'm wrong. Adding it up the way I did doesn't make it seem to me as if "precision firearms is a rip off".

I'm not giving you attitude, I'm seriously asking you to educate me if I'm wrong. Adding it up the way I did doesn't make it seem to me as if "precision firearms is a rip off".

Ok Cool..

The price for a Bartlein 5R in .308 or 6.5 CM configured anyway you want from Compass Lake engineering is $495.00 that's Headspaced, contoured, threaded, chambered everything... Flutes are $80 Extra and DuraCoats is $40.... They do use the BAT Barrel Extension but they Deburd and Polished to a shine before installation and headspacing to your Bolt.

CLE DOES NOT ADVERTISE THIS ON THEIR WEBPAGE ANYMORE, GIVE THEM A CALL ON MONDAY AND THEY WILL BE HAPPY TO WORK SOMETHING OUT WITH YOU.

​​​​​And if you want to run a JP Barrel extension they will deduct $20 off the price of the barrel since you're no longer using their Barrel extension. And if you're military or law enforcement you get 20% off the Barrel extension when going direct with from JP.

Oh Shit.. I just remembered CLE is running a promotion right now for 15% off, so if you call on Monday you might even catch an additional 15% off...That would put you at $420.00!!!

$540.00 with Flutes and Paint...

That same Barrel I just quoted you would cost you $840 from Precision Firearms.

Do you feel Education now???..lol

Last edited:
OP did you call CLE??

CLE 15% off special ended Sunday night at midnight. I called today and ordered another 20" Bartlein but they gave me the 15% off anyway. Call quick if you want the discount

20" Bartlein 1-7 5R
Very close to SDM contour
.750 gas tenon
Rifle Gas
1/2-28 threaded muzzle
CLE chamber
polished finish
headspaced to RCA bolt
$423.75
ships this week

Last edited:
CLE 15% off special ended Sunday night at midnight. I called today and ordered another 20" Bartlein but they gave me the 15% off anyway. Call quick if you want the discount

20" Bartlein 1-7 5R
Very close to SDM contour
.750 gas tenon
Rifle Gas
1/2-28 threaded muzzle
CLE chamber
polished finish
headspaced to RCA bolt
$423.75
ships this week

Carpe Diem MOFO..

We do our best to lead the horses to the water but we can't force them to drink.

You can never go wrong giving Frank a call at CLE. They are doing some work for me now, and one thing I have to say: They are always very good at craftsmanship, and very poor at marketing. Frank and Theresa run a great shop that focuses on customer service. Unlike some other places, they give you a choice of good to great in terms of barrel blanks, so really, there is a solution for everyone, from Criterion to Douglas to Kreiger, and a few in-between, or, like Jake mentioned, you can send your own blank, and Frank and Dustin will spin it to your liking.

Been dealing with and shooting with Frank, Teresa and Bunny since the late 80s. He was and probably still is, a privately contracted machinist for some pretty exotic stuff for places like NASA, so he knows how to get things made and fit right. He made what was probably the first commercially available 2-stage AR trigger and floating handguard tube.
​​​​​As has been said, you won't be disappointed in money spent with him. He will also talk you thru what you are looking to build and steer you into what will perform for your purposes and fit your budget best, not what helps his budget best.