• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM Berger 130 Gr loads

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Hey everyone, just starting to load for my new 6.5 Creedmoor I picked up last weekend. It's a custom build Surgeon 591 with a 24" Hardy CF barrel on it. I took it to the range the other day and fired some Federal GM Berger 130gr rounds through it to break in. Took about 10 rounds before it settled down and I printed a 1" group at 100 yards. Not super impressive but I'll chalk it up to being the first rounds through the barrel, and the ammo being from different lots.

Now I'm looking to start some load development with virgin Lapua brass, Berger 130gr OTM Hybrids, and H4350. I'm planning on ladder testing from 41gr up in 0.3gr increments to find a load it likes. Just wondering what everyone else is running with this combination in terms of powder charge and distance off the lands (is there a certain distance these bullets like?)

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I've check the 17 pages of loads on here but there really is not much for 130gr bullets in Lapua brass.

Attachments

• IMG_5420.JPG
    IMG_5420.JPG
    499 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: Acer76
Clocked,
I run
130 Berger AR Hybrids
*42.4* gr H4350
Lapua 6.5CM Brass
CCI BR4 Primer

I get 2805fps with zero pressure signs. This is probably on the slow side but it shoots 1/3 MOA and my speeds always fall within 10FPS when I chrono. Tight groups and small ES..... DONE

On the ES, when i say i load 42.4gr, i load exactly 42.4 grains (not 42.38 or 42.42. I tweezer one kernel in/out to get 42.40 exactly, My scale sensitivity it .02 gr

MY ES with Prime Brass was closer to 25 FPS Accuracy plenty good about 1/2 MOA. NO change in loading procedure, the Lapua brass was just flat out better.

*CAUTION: i worked up the same combo in a custom rifle with a shorter CBTO / tighter chamber saw pressure signs at 41.5 gr. The bullets were seated deeper, think i seated to 2.185 CBTO Use a safe start as recommended by your manuals maybe start lower than 41gr

NOTES:
My rifle measures 2.295 CBTO
I load .045 off at 2.250 (never messed with the seating depth, it shot great 45 off)

I tried shooting the Federal Berger 130 factory ammo and could barely get sub MOA. Prime gets me about 1/2 MOA at 2875 fps

I have been shooting that exact combo for the last 1000 rounds, let met know if you need any other info,

Reactions: Terry H
"I tried shooting the Federal Berger 130 factory ammo and could barely get sub MOA. "

You just made my day. I bought a rifle new from a guy and part of the deal was a couple hundred of that ammo. At this point I'm just using them as foulers to make brass. I thought it was me or my rifle, but my handloads are moa and smaller, and that has been with whatever powder I have.

Finally scored a jug of H4350 the other day, and I've got some 130 gr ELD-Ms loaded right around your suggested charge. Looking forward to the week end....

@ARobinson

Reactions: ARobinson
Before I switched over to 140 ELD's I used 43.1 H4350 with that bullet in hornady brass. Depending on the barrel it's good for 2850-2900ish

"I tried shooting the Federal Berger 130 factory ammo and could barely get sub MOA. "

You just made my day. I bought a rifle new from a guy and part of the deal was a couple hundred of that ammo. At this point I'm just using them as foulers to make brass. I thought it was me or my rifle, but my handloads are moa and smaller, and that has been with whatever powder I have.

Finally scored a jug of H4350 the other day, and I've got some 130 gr ELD-Ms loaded right around your suggested charge. Looking forward to the week end....

@ARobinson
Curious what results you get from the federal brass. I have been throwing mine away.

Clocked,
I run
130 Berger AR Hybrids
*42.4* gr H4350
Lapua 6.5CM Brass
CCI BR4 Primer

I get 2805fps with zero pressure signs. This is probably on the slow side but it shoots 1/3 MOA and my speeds always fall within 10FPS when I chrono. Tight groups and small ES..... DONE

On the ES, when i say i load 42.4gr, i load exactly 42.4 grains (not 42.38 or 42.42. I tweezer one kernel in/out to get 42.40 exactly, My scale sensitivity it .02 gr

MY ES with Prime Brass was closer to 25 FPS Accuracy plenty good about 1/2 MOA. NO change in loading procedure, the Lapua brass was just flat out better.

*CAUTION: i worked up the same combo in a custom rifle with a shorter CBTO / tighter chamber saw pressure signs at 41.5 gr. The bullets were seated deeper, think i seated to 2.185 CBTO Use a safe start as recommended by your manuals maybe start lower than 41gr

NOTES:
My rifle measures 2.295 CBTO
I load .045 off at 2.250 (never messed with the seating depth, it shot great 45 off)

I tried shooting the Federal Berger 130 factory ammo and could barely get sub MOA. Prime gets me about 1/2 MOA at 2875 fps

I have been shooting that exact combo for the last 1000 rounds, let met know if you need any other info,

Thanks!

Just did some measuring and my chamber is 2.240" base to ogive. I talked to my smith and he suggested running 0.005-0.010" off the lands. Gonna load some up at 2.230" and see how they run. I'm not one to push for the highest velocity I can get. If I find an accurate load, I'll stick with it regardless of speed.

It's nice to hear from a few here that the Federal Berger doesn't shoot in their rifles either. I was thinking it was me that just couldn't shoot or my scope was loose...

4350 is near impossible to find here (and I refuse to be bent over for hasmat fees/overly high internet prices) so I've been using RL-17 with the Berger 130 OTMs. Fantastic load, very stable in the wide range of temps up here in WI.
Lapua SRP brass
Berger 130 OTM seated 0.020" off lands
CCI 450 Primers
42.3 gr RL-17
That gets me 2890 fps with sub 1/2 moa groups and no pressure on my low node. ES is ~ 16 with SDs of 5-6. 24" 5R barrel.

Side note on factory ammo. Hornady 140 ELDM and 147 ELM shoot very well...near 1/2 moa. Federal shot like crap. Hard to even get 1 moa. Prime is by far my favorite! Very consistent 1/2 or better moa. Speed ~ 2855. Makes me really consider just running that instead of reloading, but I'm already invented in components

Thanks!

Just did some measuring and my chamber is 2.240" base to ogive. I talked to my smith and he suggested running 0.005-0.010" off the lands. Gonna load some up at 2.230" and see how they run. I'm not one to push for the highest velocity I can get. If I find an accurate load, I'll stick with it regardless of speed.

It's nice to hear from a few here that the Federal Berger doesn't shoot in their rifles either. I was thinking it was me that just couldn't shoot or my scope was loose...
Yea my chamber is long, which I'm guessing is why i only get 2805fps with 42.4gr of 4350. You may see better speeds / more pressure with less powder.

Let us know how it turns out!

43.5 grains of H4350 at 2920fps, .020 from lands. I went to 44.6 grains and 3050fps but settled for the more barrel friendly 43.5 grain charge.

Yea my chamber is long, which I'm guessing is why i only get 2805fps with 42.4gr of 4350. You may see better speeds / more pressure with less powder.

Let us know how it turns out!

Went out to shoot my ladder this afternoon at 100 yards. Even in 30 mph winds, every group was under 3/4" except for one which I know I pulled the shot (It still measured 0.93"). Ironically, the best was 42.4 grains of H4350. The group measured .440". In the wind, I'll take it but I do plan on going out on a calmer day to try again.

Reactions: ARobinson
I see the term "ladder test" thrown around quite a bit. FYI, if you tested at 100 yards That is not a ladder test. Maybe an OCW but not a ladder. A true ladder test is much more efficient at finding your load than a 100 yard ocw... Here is my load data for a proof barreled 6.5cm AR.
Annealled Prime brass
42.8 H4350
210M primer
CBTO 2.232"
Shoots sub 1/2" @ 2830 fps with an SD of 8

My apologies for the incorrect terminology. I don't have access to a Chrono so I unfortunately have to go with group size to determine my optimal load. Thankfully, it looks like the rifle is going to be a shooter regardless of what load I choose.

I do plan on shooting the test again when the wind isn't blowing as much.

Hornady brass fgm210 h4350 43.1 gr, .02” off the lands 26” barrel out of my ax shoots 2920 fps and is consistently sub 1/4 moa at 100yds

Where's the benefits shooting a 130gr@2850fps when you can push a 140gr almost the same? (Excluding barrel twist rate of course) No disrespect meant

Not really sure if there's any tangible benefits, I just wanted to try to 130's. And for me, I can push them a little faster with less powder than I can the 140's. Considering most of my shots will be under 1000 yards, the differences are minimal. The 130gr bullet also being slightly shorter than the 140, allows me to play with seating depth and always be within my max mag length.

Reactions: davidb187
My Berger 130 load is 44.5 gr H4350. GM210M, Hornady brass, .006” jump, coal 2.852”, 26” Bartlien in a AIAW. Magneto Speed says 2955. I was .1 mil high @ 1044 yards. I then trued to actual hits and the MV was calculated to be 2988 FPS.

I have 6 or 7 loadings on this bunch of Hornady brass and primers are still tight and I don’t see any signs of pressure. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.

friends load

stock rpr
virgin lapua brass
43.2gr h4350
.020 off lands
2930fps
ES 20
10 shots inside a quarter

43.0 gr of H4350 did this on a calm day. I'll take it and run. No pressure signs. Honestly every group I shot in the calm wind produced groups around 0.5 MOA but this one was the tightest.
IMG_5460.JPG

Got a case of the Federal myself, mainly because it was so cheap and I figured the brass would be decent. Does anyone have any long term results on this Federal brass life?

I am just starting load development on my new MPA in 6.5 CM (Curtis Axiom action and MPA 24inch barrel)

BTO 2.230 (Rifle measurement)
Berger 130 AR Hybrid
Loaded BTO at 2.210 (20 off)
H4350
Lapua Brass
BR4 Primer

40.0 to 42.6 for pressure/speed testing

40.0 was 2690 FPS
42.6 was 2840 FPS
(This is a brand new barrel, i put 15 rounds of federal factory thru it before running hand loads)

42.2 42.4 and 42.6 two shots each all were about the same speed 2835 to 2842 range, totally flat on the graph. They were punching one hole groups at this speed and i don't have enough time to mess around with load development before the next club match. Going to load 42.4 and dope it out this weekend. Ill try to get speeds up after the match.

I don't know what to expect after the barrel is shot a bit more, faster I assume?? I'll update after i get more rounds down range and try to a higher speed next month.

Federal 130 Berger factory loads were 2930 fps (pretty fast for factory)

Last edited:
I am just starting load development on my new MPA in 6.5 CM (Curtis Axiom action and MPA 24inch barrel)

BTO 2.230 (Rifle measurement)
Berger 130 AR Hybrid
Loaded BTO at 2.210 (20 off)
H4350
Lapua Brass
BR4 Primer

40.0 to 42.6 for pressure/speed testing

40.0 was 2690 FPS
42.6 was 2840 FPS
(This is a brand new barrel, i put 15 rounds of federal factory thru it before running hand loads)

42.2 42.4 and 42.6 two shots each all were about the same speed 2835 to 2842 range, totally flat on the graph. They were punching one hole groups at this speed and i don't have enough time to mess around with load development before the next club match. Going to load 42.4 and dope it out this weekend. Ill try to get speeds up after the match.

I don't know what to expect after the barrel is shot a bit more, faster I assume?? I'll update after i get more rounds down range and try to a higher speed next month.

Federal 130 Berger factory loads were 2930 fps (pretty fast for factory)
Where did you end up?

Just got a new barrel for my rifle and went to the range yesterday.

I ran about 15 Hornady 147gr Match rounds through it and they shot awesome. Then put a couple of my loads from my carbon barrel in this new barrel and they still shot awesome! The Bergers are tough to find but I have still been impressed by them.

Reactions: morning would
I like the bergers as well

has anyone who has tried the 130 VLD bergers compared them against the Hornady 130 ELD match? which one shot better for you?