• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM Brass not holding bullet firmly

i_s

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2022
Colorado
Hi, I'm a new reloader from Colorado (just started today). I'm having a problem where after having shot brass one time, the next time I try to reload, the bullet just drops like a rock into the cartridge (it is completely loose, see the second picture). This has happened with both with Lapua 6.5 CM brass (Large Primer), and spent factory Hornady ELD-M 140 gr brass.

I'm using the Redding Competition Dies in 6.5 Creedmoor:

I feel like I'm missing something, because it sounds like this isn't a normal thing that happens, at least not this quickly. Can someone give me a hint here?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 48
👆 This, and if you do have a bushing in it, do you have the right size. Also, the bushing needs screwed down with like an 1/8 turn of clearance out so it's floating.

Reactions: MarkCO
What bushing? You are using a bushing arent you?
SmartSelect_20220305-225828_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
@918v No. I tried to order one the other day from midsouth, but it went out of stock on me. To be honest I didn't really understand if I needed one or not. Would that explain my difficulties? Is that a part for the second die (in my last picture)?

@Matalpa I did use all the resizing dies from that kit, but @918v 's message makes me think I missed something important.

Hmm, there should be at least enough neck tension to hold the bullet firmly. I shoot a semi auto so I ordered the national match set that includes a crimping die, but it really shouldn't be necessary. There's an expander ball or mandrel in the resizing die that should be a couple thousandths smaller than .264 bullet diameter. In your case it sounds like the neck wasn't sized down by the neck bushing, or almost like there's no bushing in there.

@918v No. I tried to order one the other day from midsouth, but it went out of stock on me. To be honest I didn't really understand if I needed one or not. Would that explain my difficulties? Is that a part for the second die (in my last picture)?

@Matalpa I did use all the resizing dies from that kit, but @918v 's message makes me think I missed something important.

You should get an appropriate size bushing, otherwise the neck will not hold a bullet as you have discovered.

Ok, I see that I got a something a little too advanced for me, but I understand now. The die doesn't come with any bushings. I will order that now. Thanks guys!

If my memory serves me correctly, a .288 or .289 bushing will work.

Reactions: i_s
Also, a regular steel bushing works fine as long as brass is lubed properly. Don't spend the extra $ on titanium nitride unless you just like it a different color.

Reactions: waveslayer and i_s
first i_s, can you read? did you go to school? can you read manuals? or are too difficult for you?

second: you dont need bushings. you set a neck tension just by screwing die more into the press.

first i_s, can you read? did you go to school? can you read manuals? or are too difficult for you?

second: you dont need bushings. you set a neck tension just by screwing die more into the press.
That's not especially helpful for this guy ... and ... it's "wrong". A bushing die (Redding Type S) is made to work with a bushing. That's how it sizes the neck.

I looks by your picture that you have the Redding Competition neck and seater die set. My personal favorite. This is what I do.
Measure the neck of a loaded round and purchase a neck bushing .003-.004 below that size. Then I use an expander mandril (.001 under bullet diameter). If loading 6.5 Creedmoor it would be .263. That results in about .0015 of neck tension after spring back. The bushing die needed will vary with the brand of brass that you are using due to neck thickness.
If you don't want to use a mandril I would try a bushing .002 below the loaded round measurement.

Good to know, thanks @BigOldPhatboy. I checked the measurements of my loaded rounds and the 2 bushings I ordered, and I should have both options open to me.

If I was you I’d just get a Forster full
Length size die and a century 21 mandrel die and some Mandrels. Easier while you learn. Save the Redding bushing dies for later. You can still use the Redding seater

If I was you I’d just get a Forster full
Length size die and a century 21 mandrel die and some Mandrels. Easier while you learn. Save the Redding bushing dies for later. You can still use the Redding seater

I agree.