• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM energy downrange...yup, that'll do

gugubica

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2005
Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
6.5 CM from a 20" AR-10 at 325 yards. Factory Hornady ammo.

Target was rated for centerfire rifles, 1/2" steel plates on a tree.

These two ripped off the tree...

2011-07-18_10-27-22_192.jpg

This one punched right through...

2011-07-18_10-27-38_603.jpg

Yup, AMax will take out anything you want. It impressed the hell out of me with this display. Good work Hornady.

2011-07-18_10-29-46_666.jpg

Re: 6.5 CM energy downrange...yup, that'll do

To be fair, I think the one that went through might have been two rounds. I am not sure though, as I am not that good a shot...who knows. Either way, anything smaller than an elephant is screwed.

That dueling tree made for pistols? Get some AR500 and it will hold up better.

Nice set up by the way. Going to try and get a GAP10 upper in 6.5 Creedmoor in the future.

It was supposed to be rated for centerfire rifles. I wouldn't even think of shooting it at 100, but this was at 325 yards. Two hits broke the welds and the swingers landed 15 yards from the tree.

I am pretty happy with the setup, just installed the barrel last week, so, not a lot of time behind it yet. GAP would definitely do one right!

This system was designed as a back up, but if I can't get my 6.5 tube in soon for the AI, this one will become the primary.

I think I'd send the target back for warranty work!!

Or bring it over to my house and we will weld it back together and just keep it for 500 yards and further!

Very nice - just finished putting together a 6.5CM with a GAP barrel. Shot some 123 GMX thru it, nice groups but way, WAY too much gas. Need to order a heavy buffer and adjustable gas block, see if that slows it down some. The bolts hits hard enough on the return, it tears the bolt stop off the mags on empty mag. That jams the bolt and tilts the mag follower, hafta bump the butt, pull the charger, and pop the mag to clear it, all at the same time. I run outa hands.

Lots of hope for the thing though, shoots well, and the LR performance is great.

Steel looks like it was rated for .17 centerfire
wink.gif

That looks like it's probably just mild steel. I'd contact whoever you bought it from and see if they'll warrenty it or refund you your money.

I've beat the piss out of my AR500 with my .300wm any where from 100 to 700yds with 208 Amaxs and it just puts a real small dent in the steel, even at 100 it won't do anywhere neer as much damage as that 6.5CM did at over 300yds.

Get some AR500 and you'll be much happier with how it stands up to all the punishment you can throw at it.

Mighty expensive demo, but pretty cool outcome. Glad I'm not the one to have to fix that.

Many years ago I shot some .75 inch thick 10 inch round mild steel plates at 100 yards with plain jane ball ammo out of a 5.56 AR15 with a 20 inch barrel...nothing special about ammo or rifle. I thought my sights were off because usually I knock the plates over with my 69 grain match load. I fired three rounds because the target didn't move. So I walked up to check, and had a beautiful one inch group of three shots dead center....all three of them right damn through my steel plate!

I had no idea it had that much penetration at that distance. And they were plain 55 grain copper jacket, lead core, non-magnetic ammo! At 100 yards they would go through a car door like nothing!

The 6.5 CM appears to do the same thing at about 300 yards.

Haha, I have quite a bit of AR500. I know it will take abuse, but none of it was small enough for what I was doing.

I am not real worried about the target getting trashed, it was kind of a piece of shit anyway. The plates would not swing reliably, so as a dueling setup, it was worthless. So, I shot the crap out of it. I thought it would get beat up a little, but nothing like this. I am not even sure 500 yards wouldn't have had similar results...but, it won't hurt to try
grin.gif

Are you using factory ammo and what is your barrel twist?

Nice set up, I am thinking about converting my LR-308 to a 6.5 creedmore is why I am asking.