• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM Gas Gun Load date

shootertom

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2013
I normally run varget in my other 6.5 gas rifles, but I have a new one that doesn't seem to like it. For whatever reason, it won't fully cycle with varget, but does with H4350. The only problem is that 4350 is giving me very lack luster accuracy.

So what are your go to loads?

I normally run varget in my other 6.5 gas rifles, but I have a new one that doesn't seem to like it. For whatever reason, it won't fully cycle with varget, but does with H4350. The only problem is that 4350 is giving me very lack luster accuracy.

What barrel are you using?

20” proof, rifle +2

130 gr bullets

IMG_20230119_193950000.jpg
IMG_20220826_122753859~2.jpg

Mine liked the 147 ELD's best but also did well with the 140's.

147 ELD
Starline LR Brass
H4350 (I settled on 40.8 )
GM210M Primers
COAL- FROM THE OGIVE
2.156" (147 ELD)

140 ELD
Starline LR Brass
H4350 (I settled on 41.0 )
GM210M Primers
COAL- FROM THE OGIVE
2.182" (140 ELD)

Mine did NOT like the 130's

Also Proof Research has been known to put out a few turds now and then, so I would Bore Scope and carefully inspect your Barrel.

Other than that as long as you properly assembled your rifle and used a JP HP Bolt, full Mass Carrier and a H2 Buffer you should be GTG. (You don't have to use JP for the carrier or Buffer) I used a Lantac Enhanced Carrier.

Also one of the biggest issues you need to take into consideration when reloading for a Gasser is proper neck tension. Run a piece of your Lapua Brass in your FL sizing die and make a generic 2.80 dummy round, then take a measurement with your calipers from the Ogive.

Insert that dummy in a mag and chamber it by releasing the Bolt Catch, extract the dummy around and then measure from the Ogive again and see if the bullet has moved forward from the inertia of the BCG slamming it forward and chambering.

If you're Ogive measurement changes by chambering the round you need to increase the tension on the neck.

Last edited:

Reactions: shootertom
20” proof, rifle +2

130 gr bullets
Which 130gr bullets?

130gr Berger VLD is a laser for me from my .260 Rem gasser, Bartlein barrel work done by GA Precision. I had George and crew do the whole upper back in 2009 I think. Everyone told me Bergers wouldn’t shoot from a gas gun. It’s my go-to load.

H4350 is one of the go-to powders in 6.5CM and .260 Rem, which is why it’s so hard to find.

Is your barrel bedded or press-fit into the upper so the two feel like one piece?

What kind of precision are you seeing in your other 6.5 gas guns and how were they assembled?

Sorting it out ,step by step . Go figure N540 & BLC-2 front running . NO rest Aero custom 6.5CM @ 200 yd. for got My bags ,so sling & elbow on bench . Glass Meopta Optika6 4.5x27x50 SFP using 8 power .
Purposely ate the orange square W/N540 . I blew off #1 fouler on IMR4895 ,which cycled OK but failed to lock open . IMR 4064 Failed to fully cycle action .
120 grain test 6 5 CM 165 Yd.jpg

Reactions: bfoosh006
The rifle shoots very well with varget (130 game changers) as do my other rifles. However this one just doesn't want to cycle it. Ive gone up and down and all around with the rifle its self, so I am giving up on varget.

Ill try some different bullets with the H4350, I have a great selection to choose from. I was pretty hooked on the sierra's for hunting.

136 Lapua Scenar-L bullets with Staball an H4350. 24” Proof CF….

IMG_1681.jpeg

Reactions: bfoosh006
The rifle shoots very well with varget (130 game changers) as do my other rifles. However this one just doesn't want to cycle it. Ive gone up and down and all around with the rifle its self, so I am giving up on varget.

Ill try some different bullets with the H4350, I have a great selection to choose from. I was pretty hooked on the sierra's for hunting.
Any possible gas leaks ?
Another forum , had a post about his gas tube had wore out at the gas key. A good reminder for me.

Easy enough to check if gas tube is still "belled" at the shoulder end.

Reactions: BCP