• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM Load Dev Plan Pt 2 - Bullet Seating Depth and Jump - Please Critque (gently haha)

Baron23

Check 6
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    Hi guys – Same intro as last post.......I’m an older fella and longtime former competitive skeet shooter (well, I competed and maybe leave it at that! haha) who is relatively new to rifles and definitely new to reloading metallic. My good friend @GBMaryland has been helping/advising me and my bringing some questions to the forum in no way indicates a lack of confidence in him. But, I do have some questions that I think would be beneficial to ask of a larger audience. However, I will try not to do a mag dump here and will attempt to limit my questions and try to keep a bit focused.

Background info:
    • 6.5 CM Proof SS barrel
    • Hornady brass FL sized with .002 shoulder bump and 1.90 case length after trimming
    • Berger 140 gr Hybrid Targets
    • H4350
    • 1k rounds down this barrel
    This is my second “question” in the series of my “I don’t know shit” posts and this one is focused on seating depth, jump, and just sort of does my thinking here make any sense at all.

First, I have determined my CBTO to the lands in my gun using a Hornady OAL gauge and their modified case. Yes, I know that this is not 100% consistent and precise but I did find that with a bit of practice, I was getting reasonably consistent numbers and that if a handful of measurements are taken then I feel reasonably confident in the average. That and, at this time, I won’t be pulling the barrel off the gun in order to do the Mark Gordon method to find the lands or similar procedures.

This is my worksheet showing my measurements and resulting CBTO to the lands in this barrel. I have two slightly different math approaches below just as a cross reference but yes, it’s CBTO of 2.2240 to the lands at this point in time and I think this is a pretty good number.

CBTO - using modified case and Bullet Comparator
    2.2225​
    2.2230​
    2.2225​
    2.2235​
    2.2235​
    Average =
    2.2230​
    Average of CBTO using modified case and Bullet Comparator
    Avg w Modified Case =
    2.2230​
    Headspace Measurement - using Headspace Comparator
    Modified Case =
    1.5575​
    Avg Mod Case CBTO minus Modified Case Headspace
    Shoulder to Ogive =
    0.6655​
    Headspace Measurement - using Headspace Comparator
    Sized Fired Case =
    1.5585​
    Add #4 to Sized Headspace Measurement = CBTO
    CBTO of Cartridge to Lands w Sized Case =
    Alternative to get CBTO with Sized Case - Delta of Headspace +/- to CBTO
    Headspace of Mod Case=
    1.5575​
    Minus Headspace of Sized Case =
    1.5585​
    Delta
    0.001​
    Add/subtract Delta from Avg measured CBTO
    If sized headspace is longer, add the delta to measured CBTO,
    if shorter then subtract
    Avg CBTO of modified case =
    2.2230​
    Delta =
    0.0010​
    CBTO to Lands of Sized Case =

Problem is that if I seat a Berger 140 gr Hybrid at 2.2240 CBTO, then the COAL comes out to be 2.920 which exceeds the max mag length of my MDT binder plate equipped mags which is 2.870. At 2.870 COAL, my CBTO comes out to be 2.174 which is .050 off of the lands. Can’t get any closer. Below is how I came up with this .050 off of the lands at max mag length.

COAL vs Mag Length vs Jump
    MDT max mag length with binder plate
    2.8700​
    CBTO to Lands w Sized Case @1K rounds
    2.2240​
    CBTO at max mag COAL of 2.870
    2.1740​
    Jump to lands at max mag length of 2.870
    0.0500​
    COAL to Lands w sized case @1k rounds
    - too long for mag
    2.9200​
    Jump to lands at 2.860
    (.010 less than mag length)
    0.0600​
    Berger Factory 140 gr Hybrid Ammo COAL
    2.800​
    Hornady Factory 140 ELD-M Ammo COAL
    2.810​

I also measured factory loaded Berger and Hornady ammo COAL which are basically 2.800 which is .0700 less than mag length and should be .0120 jump to the lands of this barrel with this round count.

I’m planning to start my powder charge ladder at .010 less than mag length, which would be .060 jump, just because bullets will vary a bit in length and .010 seems like a reasonable initial cushion.

My questions, if looking at all of this doesn’t hurt your head as much as it does mine (LOL):
    • Do my calculations look right and reasonable?
    • Since .0500 jump is as close as can get to the lands due to mag length, is it reasonable for me to start with a COAL of 2.860/CBTO of 2.164/jump of .0600
    I can’t tell you how grateful I am for my very good friend, @GBMaryland dragging me into this metallic reloading rabbit hole! Haha…..yes, I will make him pay one day Bwahahaha :cool:

Last edited:
    50 off the lands ain't going to hurt you. I'd read Mark Gordon from SAC's work on this. He makes a very compelling case that 70 off is optimal. Also, your measurements are, I think, more complicated than necessary. I've never gone further than just the moded case. No need for the extravagant headspace calcs.

50 off the lands ain't going to hurt you. I'd read Mark Gordon from SAC's work on this. He makes a very compelling case that 70 off is optimal. Also, your measurements are, I think, more complicated than necessary. I've never gone further than just the moded case. No need for the extravagant headspace calcs.

Thanks....as for extravagant calcs....well, my general approach is to start in great detail until you understand it well and then you can shorten it up/take some liberties for ease.

As it turned out, the diff between the Hndy modified case and my once fired Hndy brass was only one thousandth so no, not worth it. But, after more firings wouldn't that delta grow as the base to shoulder will stretch with firing.

In any case, it drove me to try to understand the relationship of all of these numbers...well, understand them to an extent....so perhaps well spent time.

Thanks again.

Bergers are very forgiving with jump im finding, according to Berger when doing seating tests, the vld style bullets can shoot a while off, they recommend checking as far as .150" off the lands.

Reactions: Baron23
    Bergers are very forgiving with jump im finding, according to Berger when doing seating tests, the vld style bullets can shoot a while off, they recommend checking as far as .150" off the lands.
    Thank you. I have been given to understand that Berger’s are forgiving of jump but mostly I found Berger info on this wrt to the VLD, as you mentioned, while I’ll be loading 140 gr hybrids.

I understand that they too are forgiving but not found any optimum jump range numbers for the hybrid targets specifically.

thanks again and cheers

Hybrids are waaaaaaaay more forgiving than VLDs. You could probably start at 2.800 and work out to to 2.87 and never find a bad seating depth.

Thanks. Sounds like I’m on solid ground and will experiment w seating depth after I find a good charge for MV.

I have a pretty fast barrel and am getting 2800 FPS from the Berger loaded ammo. I’m tentatively aiming for that speed but will look along the charge ladder for any indications of a better speed but I’m rather w those who see “flat spots” as more being noise in a small data set than a real phenom. But we will see.

thanks