• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM necked down/resized to 6.5x 47

ototallydude

Ding dong
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
Oregon
I feel like this might be dumb question so please don't throw me under the school bleachers and beat my ass. Im looking at a caliber change but im sitting on a ton of 6.5 cm brass. 6X47 seems more realistic. Lemme know if you've got knowledge on this or experience.

Creedmor has a longer case. I think it’s impossible to size it to Lapua specs. Maybe try 6 creedmor

You can make decent workable 6.5x47 Lapua brass from 6.5Creed brass. Here's the steps:

-If 6.5Creed brass is fired, anneal.
-Full Length resize in non-bushing 6.5x47Lapua die.
-Trim to Length
-Anneal again.
-Full Length resize again
-Fireform

Annealing and resizing again is necessary to account for the spring back.

I made some 6.5x47 out of Hornady 6.5creed. If I remember right the necks end up being pretty long so you just trim to length. I measured the cases and if my mind serves me well the 65creed made wonderful 65x47brass. That being said, the 6.5x47 magic comes from lapua brass and the small flashholes and small primer, so your kind of getting away from the whole efficiency of the 47 using other brass than lapua.

I stand corrected. I was envisioning the brass deforming while trying to push the shoulder back that far.

I made some 6.5x47 out of Hornady 6.5creed.

Sacrilege...;)

To the original poster I would ask what your time is worth and what you will wind up with on the far end. I'd personally, far and away, sell the 6.5 CM brass and buy a 500 or 1000 lot of new Lapua Brass. The 6.5x47L deserves nothing less...imho & fwiw.

Regards, Matt.

Sacrilege...;)

To the original poster I would ask what your time is worth and what you will wind up with on the far end. I'd personally, far and away, sell the 6.5 CM brass and buy a 500 or 1000 lot of new Lapua Brass. The 6.5x47L deserves nothing less...imho & fwiw.

Regards, Matt.
You'll never need 500-1000 pcs of 6.5x47 Lapua brass. With guys getting 30, 40, 50 reloads on x47 Lapua brass you'll shoot the barrel out with 1 box. I bought 500 and 300 still sit new unopened..I only opened a second box so I can load 200 at once.

You'll never need 500-1000 pcs of 6.5x47 Lapua brass. With guys getting 30, 40, 50 reloads on x47 Lapua brass you'll shoot the barrel out with 1 box. I bought 500 and 300 still sit new unopened..I only opened a second box so I can load 200 at once.

Really? I personally keep a reasonable amount of LOADED ammunition on hand... I DO FOLLOW what you are saying, and NO, you will NOT wear out the brass depending on die to chamber spec, annealing, and setting the headspace properly. That also being said... I'm not a BR shooter with 96 perfect cases that get loaded again and again. I've met several of those guys who COMPETE with half that number of "perfect" cases. Two very different ways to look at it...

I view brass & powder as decent investments against future shortages and regulation... Again, just another way of looking at it.

Regards, Matt.

PANnHIG.jpg

CmPiDhC.jpg

To each their own. I have just as much if not more powder, primers and brass but no I don't load up 500 or 1000 pcs of 6.5x47L. But sure I still buy large, excessive qtys of components for peace of mind. With best results happening on the 2nd and 3rd firing after fireforming it's not just because I want to keep using the same brass. It's because they produce the lowest SD's and smallest groups.

now 6.5cm for my semi, or 5.56 or 233 bolt gun is a different story but we are talking x47L here.

Last edited:
I feel like this might be dumb question so please don't throw me under the school bleachers and beat my ass. Im looking at a caliber change but im sitting on a ton of 6.5 cm brass. 6X47 seems more realistic. Lemme know if you've got knowledge on this or experience.

Lol under the school bleachers. Made me laugh. But I agree with the time is money comment- where I wouldn't want to go through all that work as described all to scrap it after another few firings when the primer pockets are loose. I find a qty of 500 of whatever caliber (that fills 1 rubbermaid cereal container)and is my goldie locks of stock to where the prepper side of me is satisfied while having enough component to cycle through before replacing.

This is all the info i needed and more. Thanks guys. So much more productive than those shitty facebook groups. I imagine ill sell some brass then buy some lapua.

To each their own. I have just as much if not more powder, primers and brass but no I don't load up 500 or 1000 pcs of 6.5x47L. But sure I still buy large, excessive qtys of components for peace of mind.

More powder, primers, cases, and bullets. Wow. I had forgotten why I read through these posts as opposed to commenting... Thank you for the refresher.

Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia
757-581-6270