• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM Question

komifornian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2011
Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
I'm about to order some 6.5 CM ammo and would like to know what I should order. It's a new rifle so I don't know what it likes yet. However, I’d like to know from other CM shooters what your gun likes. I’m considering 120 GRN or 140 GRN Horneday. The barrel is a 24” MTU Krieger with a 1-8 twist. What do you think I should start with?

Re: 6.5 CM Question

I shoot a 26" bartlien 1:8.5, loves 140s. Grabbed an odd box of 120s on accident when I was picking up a few. Accuracy did not suffer at all. Only difference we slightly less recoil.

My CM loves what ever I feed it. 140 AMAX or 139 Lapua Scenars

You can get the 139 cheaper from PowderValleyInc.com if you buy in bulk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My CM loves what ever I feed it. 140 AMAX or 139 Lapua Scenars

You can get the 139 cheaper from PowderValleyInc.com if you buy in bulk. </div></div>

I agree.

Look out for the Hornady 129, nothing wrong with it but it is their sst hunting round. I have seen sites not specify, just list 6.5 CM 129.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much recoil differnece is there between the 120's and 140's? just curious</div></div>

Minimal. It's a fairly low recoil round anyway, especially with a heavy rifle. Had I not been so used to my rifle shooting nothing but 140s since I've owned it, I may have not even noticed.

In all honesty its so minimal it really isn't worth mentioning. I was just trying to be as informative as possible.

If you are shooting at longer distances then go with the 140 AMAX ammo. It's what I shoot in matches and has never let me down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can get the 139 cheaper from PowderValleyInc.com if you buy in bulk. </div></div>

I believe he was looking for loaded ammo but I have to ask, how do you figure? The 139 Scenars are $317.81/1000 or $31.78/100 and the 140 AMAX is $26.92/100. You save $5 a box with the AMAX and get a bullet with a better BC, per Litz, and very accurate.

I just picked up my 6.5CM a little over a week ago, so I only have 2 range trips on it. Over the course of the 2 trips the 1st was to my local 100yd range. Shooting factory Hornady 140gr loads it was very accurate, even in a varying wind condition.

The big thing on bullet choice is your twist rate, which I don't see in your post. The 6.5 is easy to shoot, the high BC helps. To get the best out of it you might consider reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: majohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The big thing on bullet choice is your twist rate, which I don't see in your post. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The barrel is a 24” MTU Krieger <span style="font-weight: bold">with a 1-8 twist.</span> What do you think I should start with?</div></div>

He's got an 8 twist which will work with anything from 120 and up.

http://powdervalleyinc.com/

Has Hornady factory match 140 AMAX and 120 AMAX loads for $23.41/20. For hunting they have the Hornady 129 SST load for $25.65/20 and 120 GMX for $30.34/20.

I'm going to use the rifle for shooting steel (in completion) out to 800 meters. I'll also be using it for "fun shooting" out to....... well whatever I see - 1K and beyond. I've been shooting 308 up to now and have that caliber dialed. I've heard so many good things about this caliber I had a rifle built around it. So, I think I'll break the rig in with 120's and work my way up to heavier bullets. Make sense?

I wouldn't mess with the 120's. They have a relatively low BC. Why Hornady uses them over the 123's is beyond me. Stick with the 140's or 123's in 6.5. Since they don't make factory ammo with 123's, just shoot the 140's. You honestly can't do a whole lot better than the factory 140's handloading.
-Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: komifornian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to use the rifle for shooting steel (in completion) out to 800 meters. I'll also be using it for "fun shooting" out to....... well whatever I see - 1K and beyond. I've been shooting 308 up to now and have that caliber dialed. I've heard so many good things about this caliber I had a rifle built around it. So, I think I'll break the rig in with 120's and work my way up to heavier bullets. Make sense?</div></div>

use the 140's!

I've shot the 140 amax past 1500 yards with good results. Within 1000 yards, I have NO complaints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are shooting at longer distances then go with the 140 AMAX ammo. It's what I shoot in matches and has never let me down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I believe he was looking for loaded ammo but I have to ask, how do you figure? The 139 Scenars are $317.81/1000 or $31.78/100 and the 140 AMAX is $26.92/100. You save $5 a box with the AMAX and get a bullet with a better BC, per Litz, and very accurate.

</div></div>

Opps... Rob you're absolutely correct on the price. I paid 36.00 (AMAX) the last time I bought them locally (Angeles Reloading Store).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why Hornady uses them over the 123's is beyond me. </div></div>

Because there was no 123 AMAX when they started loading the Creedmoor. We have mentioned it to them about replacing the 120 load with the 123 but that's all we can do. Maybe in the future.

We mentioned to them to load a 178 AMAX in a standard .308 load years agao to compete with the 175 SMK loads that were out there and then the 178 BTHP when they came out. This past year they made them so Hornady does listen but they are busy so if you want to see the 123 loaded mention it to them.

Gau17, no problem but You need to order them online as that $36 a box is high.

I would have my smith build it around the 140 AMAX factory load. The recipie is on the box if you are a reloader and you can use factory round if you ever get in a pinch. If hunting you can change bullets easily. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why Hornady uses them over the 123's is beyond me. </div></div>

Because there was no 123 AMAX when they started loading the Creedmoor. We have mentioned it to them about replacing the 120 load with the 123 but that's all we can do. Maybe in the future.

We mentioned to them to load a 178 AMAX in a standard .308 load years agao to compete with the 175 SMK loads that were out there and then the 178 BTHP when they came out. This past year they made them so Hornady does listen but they are busy so if you want to see the 123 loaded mention it to them.

Gau17, no problem but You need to order them online as that $36 a box is high. </div></div>

I mentioned it on their Facebook page a while back and was told that they would look into it. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Regards,
-Dan

I have shot 140 gr amax, 120 gr amax and 129 gr SST on a ruger 77 mk II target model and all three were very accurate, the 129 gr SST has more recoil than the other two but it's not bad at all, I am staying with the 140's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Komi,
Sounds like you've got it figured out. I ran 139 scenars and 140 bergers in mine until I burned the barrel up. I got just under 3800 before I couldn't hit planet earth with it. </div></div>

what was your 140 load or was this with factory shit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are shooting at longer distances then go with the 140 AMAX ammo. It's what I shoot in matches and has never let me down.
</div></div>

Rob, do you reload these to hornaday specs, or your own recipe?

The rounds I shoot at matches are Horandy loaded factory ammo. If loading myself I bump the powder charge up a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rounds I shoot at matches are Horandy loaded factory ammo. If loading myself I bump the powder charge up a little. </div></div>

Good to know, thanks
smile.gif

I just tried Horneday 140's Amax. I'm super impressed with the consistent accuracy! They perform as well if not better than my hand loads for my 308. Not sure I need to reload for this rig.

You definitely wouldn't be the first to come to that conclusion. When I reload it will be more for expense than a hunt for accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It can't be factory as factory only comes with the 140 Amax, not the Berger or Scenar </div></div>

roger that....over looked that
blush.gif

My load for both 139s and 140s was 41.9 gr of H4350 CCI Br2.

Copper creek Cartridge Co has loads for the 139 scenars, 140 hybrids, 142 smks and 140 a-max in the 6.5 creedmoor. Josh rolls great ammo and he can customize a load for you if you desire. He is loading my 6mm creedmoor and 6.5 RSAUM