• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM questions (Remington 700)

hideandseek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2024
WA, United States
Hey guys!

Getting started in long-range shooting and recently picked up a Remington 700 Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor. 5R barrel, 26" in length, with a 1:8 twist.

I initially got the 26" barrel thinking it would get me the most velocity, but seeing as I will be eventually getting a suppressor I feel like I got my barrel too long. Might chop the barrel down to 21" and get it threaded all in one go.

1. Am I going to lose a lot of velocity going from a 26" to 21" barrel?
2. What is the best/shortest suppressor I can get for this rifle?
3. Will the additional length from the suppressor bring my muzzle velocity back up?
4. What are your favorite light-weight metal chassis for the Remington 700? Something tough, but light enough to pack around.

Main reasons of wanting to go shorter now is just maneuverability, and if/when I take it out hunting.

I'm excited to start building this rifle out and start getting upgrades. Open to any and all suggestions 🫡

It seems like you are in the middle ground between building a purpose built long range hunting and prs style competition build.

Those two types of builds are very different.

I would not be overly worried about velocity.

Personally, I prefer a shorter rifle for hunting in Alabama more so than the extra velocity from a longer barrel.

As far as chassis options and suppressor options.

You can’t go wrong with TBAC if your concerns are weight.

XLR is a good full featured relatively light weight chassis

It seems like you are in the middle ground between building a purpose built long range hunting and prs style competition build.

Personally, I prefer a shorter rifle for hunting in Alabama more so than the extra velocity from a longer barrel.

You are spot on. Something that is a cross between long-range precision shooting and hunting.

I'll take your suggestion and not worry about velocity. I'm thinking once I complete the build, if it doesn't meet my expectations for hunting at long-range, I'll get a second rifle chambered in 7mm PRC that can take down elk and bigger game at longer distances.

As a brand new member, feel free to introduce yourself in the appropriate forum! Get a feel for the place...

Hey guys!

Getting started in long-range shooting and recently picked up a Remington 700 Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor. 5R barrel, 26" in length, with a 1:8 twist.

I initially got the 26" barrel thinking it would get me the most velocity, but seeing as I will be eventually getting a suppressor I feel like I got my barrel too long. Might chop the barrel down to 21" and get it threaded all in one go.

3. Will the additional length from the suppressor bring my muzzle velocity back up?
4. What are your favorite light-weight metal chassis for the Remington 700? Something tough, but light enough to pack around.

Main reasons of wanting to go shorter now is just maneuverability, and if/when I take it out hunting.

I'm excited to start building this rifle out and start getting upgrades. Open to any and all suggestions 🫡

1. Depends on what your definition of "a lot" is. It will be about 100-125fps slower at 21" but if you don't need the velocity then no need for it.

2. No idea, but some advice? Get a .30 can so you can use it on a wider variety of rifles as getting a stamp is a pain in the ass and a long wait. LOL

3. Not in my experience with my suppressors on multiple rifles. Some people get a few FPS more but will not make up for barrel length.

4. Never needed light so will let someone else answer that.

1. Depends on what your definition of "a lot" is. It will be about 100-125fps slower at 21" but if you don't need the velocity then no need for it.

2. No idea, but some advice? Get a .30 can so you can use it on a wider variety of rifles as getting a stamp is a pain in the ass and a long wait. LOL

3. Not in my experience with my suppressors on multiple rifles. Some people get a few FPS more but will not make up for barrel length.

4. Never needed light so will let someone else answer that.
Note taken on the .30 can!

I'm curious how the 6.5 CM shoots out to 1000+ yards with a 26" barrel vs. a 21" barrel (given the ammo load is optimal). As for hunting, I'm going to be reducing my maximum range for a good shot by 100-300 yards by trimming the barrel down that much I am guessing?

Also looking for suggestions on hand loading. What's the best grain 6.5 CM bullet for a 26" or a 21" barrel for long distance shots?

Note taken on the .30 can!

I'm curious how the 6.5 CM shoots out to 1000+ yards with a 26" barrel vs. a 21" barrel (given the ammo load is optimal). As for hunting, I'm going to be reducing my maximum range for a good shot by 100-300 yards by trimming the barrel down that much I am guessing?

Also looking for suggestions on hand loading. What's the best grain 6.5 CM bullet for a 26" or a 21" barrel for long distance shots?
I have a Stock (except for the trigger) Remington 700 PCR in 6.5, 24 inch barrel and its lights out at 1000.

Reactions: hideandseek
Hey guys!

1. Not really… Go ahead and cut it down to 20”. Swap to StaBall 6.5 powder and you will make up all of that difference, and maybe more.

2. Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 7.62 or TBAC MAGNUS-S .30 cal (preorders start tomorrow, I think).

3. No, at most you’ll gain 15 FPS. Usually single-digits.

4. The Christensen Arms MPR chassis is super light and strong. It also folds. You can get one from Brownells for under $1k.

1. Not really… Go ahead and cut it down to 20”. Swap to StaBall 6.5 powder and you will make up all of that difference, and maybe more.

2. Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 7.62 or TBAC MAGNUS-S .30 cal (preorders start tomorrow, I think).

3. No, at most you’ll gain 15 FPS. Usually single-digits.

4. The Christensen Arms MPR chassis is super light and strong. It also folds. You can get one from Brownells for under $1k.
Here I was thinking 6 inches mattered... 😉😂

Thanks!

Here I was thinking 6 inches mattered... 😉😂

Thanks!

It does but depends on what your needs and wants are going to be. A few hundred yards hunting it won't matter. The 20" will make 1000 no problem either but will be going slower and not shoot as flat.