• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM Reloading Question about Primers and Powder

rbfducky

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2019
I am loading the newish Berger EOL 156 gn. Hunting Bullet. I have 2 questions in regards to loading this round for hunting.

1. Since primers are rare now a days, I have about 100 WLR and 300 CCI 250 LR Magnums. Can I interchange the 2 or is that an unwritten rule not to do? I have been reloading for a while, but never had the Magnum primers before and am not sure about using them. I bought them b/c that was what the store had.

2. I have H4381, IMR 4064 & CFE 223 available to use right now and seeing that it is likely to stay this way for a while, I am looking to see if anyone has a load data for the 156 with any of these?

Hodgdon has a charge for the H4381; but for a 150 grain bullet, not a 156. I know it's only 6 grains less than what I am shooting, but I wanted to see if anyone has anything. I use the CFE 223 for my .30-06 and it works great. I can't find anything for the 6.5 CM with the CFE though.

I know this is a relatively new round and load data is not in any of the books that I have seen.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

I would start at the starting charge for the 150 with H4831 and run a pressure ladder. 4064 could work, but probably a little fast for that heavy for caliber projectile. Another option is call Berger, they are very helpful.

Reactions: rbfducky
You “shouldn’t” but I’m sure it will be fine. Some think of the Winchester as a magnum primer anyways.

I’d lean towards 4831 as it’s a tad slower to match that heavy bullet better than the other options. The starting charge should be fine and work up.

If you want a consistent load, mixing primers could prove frustrating. Pick one and roll with it.

Thanks guys!

Stewarmy01 I'm limited by the market on which primer to use at this moment. Once the paranoia wears off, I will be able to be consistent that. Will also call Berger, as simple as it is, it never crossed my mind lol.

Spife7980 thanks for the info on the powder burn.

Kjeff91 I will keep that in mind with the Reloader 16.

Hopefully all this insanity will wear off in a reasonable amount of time.

!Update!

Got in touch with Berger and they won't email or mail the load data (prolly for liability reasons), but if you call they will give you what you need. here is what they gave me.

H4831
Min- 39.8 grains @ 2429 fps Muzzle Velocity
Max- 43.7 grains* @ 2672 fps Muzzle Velocity
LR Primers
C.O.L.- 2.800"

Thanks for all help everyone. I hope this helps anyone else.

*= They said that this was 106% volume for the case, so there would be some compression since I did not have H4831 SC

Reactions: Mike_in_FL