• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Coyote Bullet

Yoteski

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Have a buddy who only has a 6.5 creed and wants me to take him coyote hunting. I was looking through bullets that might not completely destroy them, and happened upon the Hornady 123 FMJ. Now, I know out of a .22 cal, i.e. 223 FMJs are complete shit for coyote hunting. I've shot them with them before and lost them. Just was curious with a little more displacement if it would be a viable option in the 6.5.
Thank you

if 120's are your choice of grain weight might try a Barnes VOR-TX LR 127-Grain 6.5 Creedmoor if you can go to a higher weight maybe a
Hornady 143-Grain Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor sorry no idea how hard or easy either of those rounds are going to be for you to get nor there prices I am only guessing it's going to be pretty pricey as what isn't now a days nor how either would work out of your gun , best of luck what ever round you go with .

if 120's are your choice of grain weight might try a Barnes VOR-TX LR 127-Grain 6.5 Creedmoor if you can go to a higher weight maybe a
Hornady 143-Grain Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor sorry no idea how hard or easy either of those rounds are going to be for you to get nor there prices I am only guessing it's going to be pretty pricey as what isn't now a days nor how either would work out of your gun , best of luck what ever round you go with .

I was looking at the LRX bullets to load for him, but the cost might be off-putting. The 120 GMX bullets would be good too, but they've been unobtainable for quit a while.

The 143 ELDx is not fur friendly based on the coyotes I've shot with them. It kills just fine, but they get tore up.

Reactions: 260284
Do you want something that's going to obliterate them or you want something to preserve the hide?

Either way, it's a fairly small animal that isn't tough to kill. Any bullet will kill it...

I have used Berger 130 VLD Target, and they are NOT fur friendly in my experience.

Yep, I've seen some pretty knarly wounds with 6.5 bullets, so I'm trying to mitigate fur damage.

Stupid autocorrect. I meant VMax not vacation.

I'm assuming you knew what I meant. I was thinking a Varmint bullet would stay in the animal, not pass through.

Stupid autocorrect. I meant VMax not vacation.

I'm assuming you knew what I meant. I was thinking a Varmint bullet would stay in the animal, not pass through.

Obviously a 6.5 anything is going to be rough on coyotes. My theory is a hard bullet little hole in and little hole out. A good bonded bullet might do well also, but availability is the problem right now.

Have a buddy who only has a 6.5 creed and wants me to take him coyote hunting. I was looking through bullets that might not completely destroy them, and happened upon the Hornady 123 FMJ. Now, I know out of a .22 cal, i.e. 223 FMJs are complete shit for coyote hunting. I've shot them with them before and lost them. Just was curious with a little more displacement if it would be a viable option in the 6.5.
Thank you

A solid copper shouldn't be too bad. Maybe a bonded round but imo they tend to make a bit more of a mess.

I'd say anything in 6.5 is gonna not be kind to the hide. Hopefully I can give you an update on Monday going to get after one that's been skulking around my parents place zeroed for 140 bthp so we'll see what it does

I've used 95gr Vmax on foxes and feral dogs.
Not fur friendly.
I have a mate who uses a .222 when wanting a pelt.
Maybe that's an option?
I use my 223ai; this is for a guy who only has a 6.5 creed and this is his only rifle right now.

I'd say anything in 6.5 is gonna not be kind to the hide. Hopefully I can give you an update on Monday going to get after one that's been skulking around my parents place zeroed for 140 bthp so we'll see what it does

This is what it does @ 194 yards...

Screenshot_20211014-133334_WhatsApp.jpg

Both 143 ELDX and Nosler 120BTs have made a mess in my experience. Very effective, but nothing I’d want to try and see up afterwards.

Maybe some of the lighter hammer bullets. I’m going to be testing some out of a 22 creed pretty soon

Coyotes are darn tough. A FMJ bullet will not kill them so you can recover them consistently. Might try a SMK in your weight of choice. It will be a good compromise.

If it were me, I'd go for something monolithic from Barnes or the Hornady GMX. If you can't find those I've had decent luck out of larger calibers with plain old soft points.

Yea if you want the coat avoid the eldx line. Mine blew out a 5" hole first time I shot one when I was deer hunting. I shoot 123gr smk for target and they shoot great. Im sure with the velocities they would be fine and not cause a massive wound channel. Youd need to handload them though. Maybe the 120gr ELDM?