• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CR, 147 ELD Match, Reloder 16, 17, 23 (yes, more info.)

clcustom1911

Muppet Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2017
    The River in Arizona
    So, there I was, on the perpetual quest for The Load. My Rifffle is a Ruger Precision Rifle with a Proof Research M24 Profile profit 24" barrel with an APA Little Bastard on the end.

I had recently, like yesterday, found BLC(2) powder works pretty well for the Nosler 130 RDF in my rifle. Check this crap out! Summary: 1x fired Prime brass, Fed 210M primers, Nosler 130 RDF weight-sorted (VERY IMPORTANT), seated .060" off the lands. I'm definitely not a benchrest shooter. I am a "minute of plate" shooter. So my personal requirements are .5 MOA or better, sub 10-ish SD, and ES 30-ish and below.

I digress... back on track to The Load...

The nice people at Proof advised me they have had great results with the Hornady 140 ELDm and 147 ELDm bullets in their RPR 1:8 twist barrels. Armed with that info, I selected the Hornady 147 ELDm. Everything is seated .025" off the lands because I've read people do well at .030" and .020". So, I split the difference. Primers are Federal 210M. All brass is Prime, 2x fired, annealed last week or so.

I already worked out a RL17 and H4350 load:

Here that is on paper:

Because we're in America and we have choices, I decided to do a "ladder" test or whatever people are flaming each other about in assorted threads. My "ladder" was going to be RL 16, 17, and 23.

So, to the results:

Key: "Bolt Lift" and "Extract" mean sticky bolt lift and extraction. "Primer" means a catering of the primer. "SAA" means "same as above"

RL 16. I'm going to try 41.3 (consistency over absolute velocity). Seating the bullets in the casings, there was "crunch" sounds starting at about 42. After seating, there was some room in the cases all the way up to 43 where there was pretty much no powder movement when I shook the case around. I'd say it was very close to a compressed load.

RL 17 (gonna stick with my 41g Load)

RL 23 (disregard "RL 22" I made a mistake while I was looking at Sierra's 150 SMK Data for RL22 for a general idea of where to start)

Interesting note on RL23, 42.1-42.5 I had sticky bolt and sticky extraction. From 42.7 and on all "pressure" signs went away. I'm going to try 43 and 43.6.

Reactions: Juggerxxx
    So I’m new to reloading and find it very interesting that you would see high pressure signs early on and they would disappear as you increased powder. I thought pressure signs would only get worse as you increased charge unless you changed seating depth. Can you explain?

Reactions: LG65CM
    So I’m new to reloading and find it very interesting that you would see high pressure signs early on and they would disappear as you increased powder. I thought pressure signs would only get worse as you increased charge unless you changed seating depth. Can you explain?

Great question.

Sometimes some powders don't like a certain amount of airspace in the case. When the powder lights off, there could be a pressure spike which can manifest itself as "pressure signs". Once that amount of airspace is gone, that pressure spike goes away as well. Thats why depending on the powder, you may have pressure signs with a 80-90% powder fill, but the pressure signs will go away with the same powder at 95%+ powder fill or compressed load.

at 42.7 and up as I was seating the bullets in the casing, I heard a few little "crunch" sounds which indicated it was likely a 95%+ volume load. After seating those, I shook the case and I could still hear a tiny bit of powder movement. On a side note with RL16, RL17, and RL23, each granule is just about .03 to .04 grains, so to go up .1 grain is literally 2 or 3 kernels of powder.

This is my first time experiencing this and I thought it was funny to see shit happen in real life I had read about in books many moons ago when I first started reloading back in '06/'07. The book was Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. TONS of reloading data and great information in there. I highly recommend it to anyone who is just starting out!

Last edited:
    Makes sense now. Thanks for explanation and also book recommendation.

You got it, Bud. If you do pick up that book, it will give you a baseline of knowledge and information which will enable you to spot BS on the 'net:

BS = Bullshit
    BS = Bro Science

Long story made short, shot like shit, my chronograph was all fucked up and showing readings all over the place, etc. Total shit show.

For example, I only shot 5 rounds during this recorded string.... But I think it was recording the muzzle blast's of the guy at the next bench over....

Reactions: dmitchell09
    So..... My disappointing groups...

Bottom left is 42.3 of RL16. Density altitude was about 4700 which pushed my Average velocity 2830 from 2750 at DA 2400, ES 10, SD 4. 'Murica.

Last edited:
    You're welcome. I would love RL26.... But it just doesn't appear to exist right now at any of my LGS's or online.

The guy behind the counter at my LGS said that the plant that they make the Reloder powders at was shut down for maintenance. Apparently when they do that over there, they have to wait for the govt to come in and inspect everything. At the time he said it would take about 12 weeks or so to get anything new in. That was about a month ago.

The guy behind the counter at my LGS said that the plant that they make the Reloder powders at was shut down for maintenance. Apparently when they do that over there, they have to wait for the govt to come in and inspect everything. At the time he said it would take about 12 weeks or so to get anything new in. That was about a month ago.
    I thought reloader powder was made by Alliant, which is in Sweden?

So.... Here's an update.... Reloder 17 for the win LoL. Got my new Magnetospeed delivered the day prior to my range trip.

40.5g Reloder 17

Notes are Charge weight - Average velocity, SD, ES. There's probably a higher velocity node with R17, but I want my barrel to last a little while! LoL ???

It was a bit windy at the range, not enough to push the bullet at 100 yards, but enough to flop around my target while I was shooting. I'm so happy to have 2 bitchin loads for the 147 ELD Match bullet in my rifle. One with H4350, and now one with R17. Looking forward to validating the loads next week in the desert!

40.4 gn of RL-17 works best for me and MV of 2700-+/-ish. 140 gn bullets. 24" bbl. But, I post wondering about your early charge weights and velocities. I noticed in several instances your charge weights increased while your MVs decreased. Any exlanation for that? Just curious. Thanx, lg

Try reloader 33. See what happens

40.4 gn of RL-17 works best for me and MV of 2700-+/-ish. 140 gn bullets. 24" bbl. But, I post wondering about your early charge weights and velocities. I noticed in several instances your charge weights increased while your MVs decreased. Any exlanation for that? Just curious. Thanx, lg

To be quite Frank, those previous velocities can't be trusted because the chronograph I was using was being temperamental and could have been taking a shit.

These current readings from a couple days ago are with my new Magnetospeed and appear much more consistent.

I may do one more "OCW" style test with my Reloder 16. I'll same the 23 for my coming 7mm RemMag and may try RL 33 for that cartridge as well.

I went out today to verify my chrono data from initial ladder and OCW I did a few months ago with the 147eldm and ended up exactly were you did.
    I found 41.4 grains of H4350 was the sweet spot I also pulled some bone head moves so I blame you for that.🤣🤣
    First I realized I left my magneetospeed at home half way to the range and then when I got there and started shooting I realized the OCW I worked up for my 6.5x47 was from the brass I had bagged up and forgot to mark that really needs to be annealed.
    LONG STORY SHORT IM A DUMBASS