• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creed vs 308 short distance

eric1911

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2020
I usually shoot at 100 yards or 200 yards at local range and occasionally shoot about 300 yards at field.
Does 6.5 still do better than 308 within 300 yards?
I mean tigher groups here. I personally dont mind the recoil.
I got a MPA BA 308 with a very good price. And I am thinking about changing the barrel to 6.5 creedmoor...

have seen people who could shoot using a rpr 308 bi pod and a bag in the rear shoot one hole then put 4 more shots inside that one little 308 hole at 100 I can't shoot that good have come close but never that good 5 under a dime is about the best I can do so far and with the 6.5 have seen those same shooters doing the same thing with them again I cannot yet . I wish you luck its possible with either round cost wise if using factory ammo these are the cheapest prices for either I have see with factory ammo in ammo seek .
good luck on which ever round you pick both are great fun to use then again you could go 223 and split the costs in 1/2 or more .and out to 600 yards it shoots as good as the other two rounds and god knows 223 is a hell of a fun and it has a lot of choices in it that would not break the bank or a 22lr that can shoot 300 pretty well and 1/8 the cost of the other three rounds and are also extremely fun to shoot .

Last edited:
I own both. I prefer the lower recoil 6.5cm for most occasions. But I’m also sure the 308win was indeed the gold standard for precision competition and for sniper weapons for a long time for some good reason. Good match ammo (or your own load work ups) through a high-end rifle like yours ought to shoot lights out. I doubt you can slide a sheet of paper between these two cartridges at up to 300 yds.

You may not mind the recoil of the .308 but it will be much more pleasant to shoot the 6.5. There is certainly good match ammo for both rounds out there but with the popularity of the 6.5 I have found it to be more plentiful and easier to find.

borrow a friend's 6.5 and see if you like it then make a decision but I love mine..... I also love my .308s ...

I usually shoot at 100 yards or 200 yards at local range and occasionally shoot about 300 yards at field.
Does 6.5 still do better than 308 within 300 yards?
I mean tigher groups here. I personally dont mind the recoil.
I got a MPA BA 308 with a very good price. And I am thinking about changing the barrel to 6.5 creedmoor...

Under 600 yards don't bother. So 300 yards on down, unless you just want a new barrel, don't bother. If you're looking for less recoil, then change to a 6mm. But honestly within 300 yds....if you're groups are terrible at 300 yds, you need to shoot more ?‍♂️ 300 honestly is not that far.