• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor 130 norma golden target

Face

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
I thought i had see info before but after search bar no info. What load shoots good for you. I know every gun shoots different and i will work up to find max pressure. Just curious what load seem to be most common

I've had best results with Varget and H4350. With H4350 had the best velocity and SD's. Workup you load and find the Node your rifle likes. Note: Best results were with COAL of 2.765" with Varget and 2.760 with H4350. I tried duplicating the Prime Ammo: Norma bullet and brass.

Note: Best results were with COAL of 2.765" with Varget and 2.760 with H4350.

What kind of jump is that in your rife? I've just started loading these, but much longer with .020" jump (somewhere around 2.845 COAL or so).

Truthfully - i don't know. I did a lot of research on the Prime Ammo due to how it shot out of my rifle. Prime measured from 2.150 to 2.182 to the ogive . Don't know the powder. However, H4350 and Varget worked out real good (low SD's and very accurate).

Truthfully - i don't know. I did a lot of research on the Prime Ammo due to how it shot out of my rifle. Prime measured from 2.150 to 2.182 to the ogive . Don't know the powder. However, H4350 and Varget worked out real good (low SD's and very accurate).

Interesting - I was loading them at 2.242 CBTO. I did an initial ladder with RL16 but I may have to try them shorter, In alpha brass I got pressure signs around 40.7gr and a lot slower than i was expecting (2750ish). I'm all of 12 rounds into load dev so there's some room to play since i got a box of 500.

My son was pushing these at 2835 out of a factory RPR with Prime brass and H4350. He was able to duplicate the factory Prime velocity and he kept them the same length as the factory ammo. Not sure how much jumpe he had, he ran the factory PMags.

my velocity with Prime Brass (they use Norma Brass) and H4350 was 2888 fps with SD of 3.3. I have not done anymore load development with the Creed for awhile (been working on my .308). Hopefully i'll be getting back to it this fall.
Have not tried RL-16 but i plan on trying.
8208XBR showed promise. However, my best node with 8208 was 2789 fps (tight groups).
i found that my Savage 6.5 Creedmoor likes velocity around 2750 fps with any bullet (140gr to 147gr) or powder i throw through it.

Where are you getting the bullets? I’ve wanted to try them, but everybody I see is out of stock.

last place i bought them was at Midsouth shooters supply.
However, they are only taking backorders right now.
i have 440 left.

What mv did you end up with?

What mv did you end up with?
With H4350 and Norma Brass, I ended with 2888 fps and SD of 3.3
with 8208XBR and Norma Brass, I ended with 2789 fps and SD of 10.1
with Varget and Prime Brass, I ended with 2845 fps and SD of 6.4
Primer used are CCI-250
COAL on all were 2.760-2.765

With H4350 and Norma Brass, I ended with 2888 fps and SD of 3.3
with 8208XBR and Norma Brass, I ended with 2789 fps and SD of 10.1
with Varget and Prime Brass, I ended with 2845 fps and SD of 6.4
Primer used are CCI-250
COAL on all were 2.760-2.765
Thanks for info. I see ppl running burger hybrid 130 in the 2930fps. Didn't know if you made it that high.

Just ordered some Berger 130 gr AR Hybrid to try out. Will post when i get some loads worked up.

Reactions: Face
Interesting - I was loading them at 2.242 CBTO. I did an initial ladder with RL16 but I may have to try them shorter, In alpha brass I got pressure signs around 40.7gr and a lot slower than i was expecting (2750ish). I'm all of 12 rounds into load dev so there's some room to play since i got a box of 500.

That's weird. I just did a ladder with R16, Prime brass, 130 GT bullet, Fed 210m primers and got 2900 with 42.3, with single digit other numbers. OAL was 2.775.... Same as Prime factory ammo.

Case fill with 42.3g is about 95+%. Probably closer to 100%. I heard a couple little crunch sounds and tapped on the case to settle the powder as I seated the bullets No pressure whatsoever. I know the Prime powder charge is nearly compressed or compressed.

I know alpha and Norma brass are different, but I don't think alpha would be 20g heavier. Based on experience, a 10gr difference in brass weight can translate to needing to adjust charge weight about 1 grain.

Last edited:
I know alpha and Norma brass are different, but I don't think alpha would be 20g heavier. Based on experience, a 10gr difference in brass weight can translate to needing to adjust charge weight about 1 grain.
I weighed out my alpha LRP at 172.2 gr. I have some norma brass making its way to me this weekend, Id be interested to see the difference.

Well I'll be damned. My prime brass avg. is about 155....................

I guess my theory is trending right along.....
That's an interesting theory, I think I'll hip pocket that one going forward. I've also tried measuring case capacity with 91& iso alcohol(under the delusion that clean up would be easier than water), and comparing percentages of case fill to powder weight - but I think i like your rule of thumb better...

With Alpha LRP, 40.9gr RL16 is the highest charge I would ever consider, because it gave me nice little ejector circles - I'd consider 40.7 a working max, because i have emotional attachment to fancy brass...
I weighed out hornady brass at 152-153 grains, 43.6gr iso cap, which i will call "100% capacity". Your norma brass is a similar weight, so i will ASSUME the capacity to be the same until i get mine this weekend to confirm. (other assumption: I weighed all cases with a FGM210M, which I will assume to be consistent and negligible in weight and capacity variance that it causes)
Alpha iso capacity was 41.5 gr, or about 95% of hornady.

Assuming you're shooting a high node with your 42.3 load, and something like 42.8 was your max... My max would be just a smidge over 95% of your max powder weight to capacity. For shits and giggles, what was your max charge in norma brass?

BACK ON TOPIC:
I had a lower node in the 39.9 to 40.1 gr range of RL 16, netting me about 2700 fps (I have a slow running, 21" 8-twist barrel). Last trip, I loaded a few more at 40.1gr and 2.242 CBTO (.020 jump), and it looked like it was double grouping (3 touching, half inch of space to the right, 2 stacked). Initially, I thought I might have shot at the wrong dot...

This time, I loaded three groups at 39.8, 39.9, and 40.0gr, but i reduced the CBTO to 2.166 (COAL of 2.766ish) based on what you guys are seeing from the Prime ammo. I never shot prime, but I'm hoping adding (a significant, .097") jump will be the magic I've heard about, without spiking the pressure too much. If this shorter CBTO doesn't work out, I'll try a Berger style jump test, or re shoot a load latter at this shorter OAL to see if i can get closer to a compressed load. In retrospect, Im not sure running a ladder of 2 of each over the chrono for load development saved me any time/bullets/barrel life...

Because the Berger hybrid 130s were also mentioned - I get consistent .5 to .75 MOA groups from 130 hybrids, 41,0 gr of RL-16 in an Alpha LRP with FGM210s. For me, That produces 2750 fps on the magnetospeed. My max charge is somewhere in the 42.0 gr region, and that is explained by the much shorter bearing surface of the hybrid vs the golden target. The GT is actually closer in length and BBTO to the 140 ELD-M than other 130 class bullets (solids excepted).

Apologies, that went long and a bit sideways... Huzzah for good coffee?