• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 Creedmoor 142grn SMK H4350

Marksman_92

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
Looking to develop a load for my new 6.5 creed and I am curious what kind of load data you have for the 142 smk and Hodgdon H4350 powder. The data in the load books seem a little on the slow end. I would be happy to get them going in the mid 2700s. Just curious where you guys found the high node in your rifles, thanks in advance!

I’d recommend you let your rifle tell you that. There’s no magic here. Hodgdon data shows a charge max of 41.5 grains which makes 2700 fps at 60k psi out of a 24” barrel. You’re going to be really close to this as far as charge weight goes.

I have a friend that pushes the 142gr really hard in his creedmoor with fantastic results.

He uses 4350, CCI 250, Lapua brass. 26” Barrel. Mag length.

I don’t think you’ll have a issue making your goal of 2750 and you may end up significantly faster if your barrel likes the combo and you have a optimal burn rate lot of 4350.

Reactions: Marksman_92
41.5 grains of H4350, Norma brass and CCI BR2s is very accurate for me. I am jumping about .005. 2750 should not be an issue. Standard disclaimer, this load works well in my rifle, it may be dangerous in yours. Work up carefully.

Been there and done that. Ended happier with Lapua 136.

I am shooting 140's not 142's.

I only run 40.5 of H4350 and get 2754 out of a 26" barrel shooting suppressed. Like everyone has said, work up you loads case every rifle is different. I am using Hornady brass and FGMM primers.

Thanks for the info guys, Ill be running a 25" barrel. Just fishing to see what results some guys are getting. I have changed my mind 1000 times deciding what bullet choice i want to start out with. Im pretty set on H4350 for my powder choice, just trying to decide on bullets.

Any of the 4350 powders will do if your favorite is scarce.

Hornady has three eldm and eldx bullets between 140 and 147 grains. All of them have better bc’s than the 142 smk, and cost 20% less. I’ve been super happy with them. They’re on sale again at midway.

OP, you will easily find 3 nodes with H4350 and 139-142 weight bullets. The first will be in the area of 40.5, second is in the area of 41.5 and another around 42.7, I know guys that go hotter than that even and are up around 44.
I have been running the 140 ELD at 41.5 for last year's match season in my then new barrel and the bore and throat look a hell of a lot better than my last barrel that saw a steady diet of 42.6... Though there can be more than just powder charge at play.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffLebowski
I was recently in the same boat and decided to test the 140 Eld and the 140 Berger hybrid. My rifle just flat likes the 140 eld. Test loads from 41-43 grains all under 5/8 moa at 100. Best consistent powder charge and chrono numbers led me to stick with 41.5 grains H4350 in a Hornady case with cci br-2 primer. I’ve had excellent accuracy with them out to 650 yards which is as far as I’ve been able to shoot them so far. Best part of rifle liking them as previously mentioned, they are often on sale at midway.

The Berger shot well but with the hybrid to get close to the lands I had to single feed due to the bullet shape.

From my experience the 142s really shine at 1000+ in windy conditions. The 123s are lasers as long as the wind is sub 10 mph. My barrel is an 8 twist and groups both very well.

Reactions: R0CKNR0LLKL0WN
142 smk are my favorite. 41.5 of 4350 .010 off the lands, hornady brass and cci primers. Is a great consistent load for me.

I was recently in the same boat and decided to test the 140 Eld and the 140 Berger hybrid. My rifle just flat likes the 140 eld. Test loads from 41-43 grains all under 5/8 moa at 100. Best consistent powder charge and chrono numbers led me to stick with 41.5 grains H4350 in a Hornady case with cci br-2 primer. I’ve had excellent accuracy with them out to 650 yards which is as far as I’ve been able to shoot them so far. Best part of rifle liking them as previously mentioned, they are often on sale at midway.

The Berger shot well but with the hybrid to get close to the lands I had to single feed due to the bullet shape.

The 140 ELDs are definitely on the table as an option, what speeds are you getting at 41.5?

The 140 ELDs are definitely on the table as an option, what speeds are you getting at 41.5?

That depends on which day you ask my chronograph lol. I need to upgrade apparently. It’s consistent measuring extreme spread but temperature or light or something makes it read higher or lower by as much as 100 FPS from one day to he next. Dial up holds right with factory 140 eld match which claim 2710 FPS I believe . I use 2750 in shooter app to line up with their predictions. So likely somewhere in between I’m guessing.