• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor/6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmoor/300 PRC?

What would you choose?

• 6.5 Creedmoor / 6.5 PRC

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor / 300 PRC

Votes: 33 66.0%

• Total voters

m6z

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Joplin, MO
I'm wanting to build one long range rifle. I'm going to go with a CRF action such as a ARC Mausingfield or Nucleus. I'd like the capability to shoot out to a mile with factory ammo.

Would you go with a short action receiver and a 6.5 Creedmoor / 6.5 PRC combo or start with a long action and go 6.5 Creedmoor / 300 PRC?

No PRS, no hunting. I just want one nice rifle to shoot at the range. I've got other rifles for other roles. I'm just try to avoid building two custom bolt guns.

Last edited:
Personally I like to have multiple guns but that’s just me! If you want to shoot out to a mile the 300 prc will definately give you the edge out of the calibers. And I prefer a creedmoor on the short action. So personally I’d probably go for the 300. Prc and 6.5 prc on a long action.

Personally I like to have multiple guns but that’s just me! If you want to shoot out to a mile the 300 prc will definately give you the edge out of the calibers. And I prefer a creedmoor on the short action. So personally I’d probably go for the 300. Prc and 6.5 prc on a long action. Or 6.5 creed and 6.5 prc on a short action.

Do they make a bottom metal with a spacer system yet? Or if you went with 6.5cm/300PRC would you just single feed the 6.5cm?

KRG long action chassis are set up for CIP length mags, but they also offer a spacer so that you can use standard long action mags. I figure I'll make a similar spacer to utilize short action mags or use CIP length mags for both short and long action calibers. With a CRF action I don't forsee it being much of an issue.

Reactions: roamin
To me the 2 6.5s are too close. 6.5 creed is ok to 1000 reliably. Over a mile you will want a heavier bullet to see impacts. So 300 prc for long range and 6.5 creed for medium range. I would do two separate rifles as well. Won't be much more in the long run.

Reactions: michael1778
1st you will have to run 2 separate bolts w the 6.5 Cm and 300 PRC. 2nd you will have to run the 300 PRC from a CIP length mag and I'm not sure if the CM will function 100% of the time from a CIP mag.

Rough numbers:

Manners CF stock $1k, Mausingfield barreled action $2k, Nightforce optic and rings $3k. That's $6k. I can have another barrel spun up and buy another bolt for around $1k.

Reactions: Earnhardt and BCX
That's true, but it really only makes sense with the 6.5 Creedmoor /6.5 PRC setup where they both fit normally in a short action. Swap bolt heads/extractors, barrels, and maybe tug on a couple magazine feedlips. The only way to make this make sense, because you're shooting the same pills within maybe 200ft/s of each other all else being equal is to make the 6.5 PRC barrel like 28-30" long and the creedmoor 18-22" long, which is not necessarily a bad idea. However, 6.5 pills, even 147-150gr can get hard/impossible to spot at your requested mile mark, so it's less than ideal for the ELR role. Dry dusty dirt, fine. Wet, may not see a single impact. It's happened to me before with my 28" 6.5 SAUM at 1600-1800yd.

If you go long action for the 300 PRC, your best bet is to go CIP length DBM. So you run into the issue of feeding with such a short/skinny cartridge in a long action. You'll probably have to modify .300 win mag CIP mags to get them to hold 6.5 CM cartridges. From a functionality standpoint this route makes less sense.

But if all you want to do is punch out 1000+ with no weight/mobility requirements, Again, I'd say just build up a 300 PRC and run that exclusively.

The long action to short action weight difference is less than half a pound.

There are also several short action cartridges that are being run in long actions. I can find accounts of people running 6.5 SAUM & 6.5-284 in long actions without issue.

The only real issue is what to do about the mags, running a 30.06 mag with the 6.5 Creedmoor might work. I understand that going this route will probably take some work to get the Creedmoor to feed 100%.

You can't run the .30-06 mag in a CIP mag well that will run the 300 PRC. Unless someone makes CIP .30-06 mags?

Or you can strictly reload and limit the 300 PRC to the same COAL.

You can't run the .30-06 mag in a CIP mag well that will run the 300 PRC. Unless someone makes CIP .30-06 mags?

Or you can strictly reload and limit the 300 PRC to the same COAL.

KRG makes a spacer to go from CIP to standard length long action mags in their chassis, so it's currently possible to use both mag lengths with a KRG chassis.

Reactions: Ledzep
Mausingfield is available with 5 replaceable bolt head sizes, just start buying stuff and figure out what you want to shoot as parts start arriving. You could theoretically go from .223 rem all the way up to the Tubbs 41xc

And now that I have that out of the way, of the available options I choose Creed and 300 PRC

Get a Desert Tech with 6.5CM barrel/bolt and 300 PRC barrel/bolt. The ability to swap between those 2 calibers is what made me pick up a used SRS A1 chassis from a hide member and barrels/bolts from ES Tactical.