• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Alpha Headspace

Marksman_92

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
So I just got done firing my new virgin brass of 6.5 creedmoor Alpha in my rifle. The once fired brass is .0015 larger (base to shoulder datum) than virgin brass. I was suprised will how little it grew. does this mean I just have a really tight chamber? Also could I experience any issues with bumping my shoulders back .0015-.002 since the brass barely grew. By issues, specifically I mean will I be able to screw my die down enough before it contacts the shell holder to get enough shoulder bump. Waiting on a new Forster press or I would have already tried sizing it.

You should not have any problems. In my experience Redding dies bump 6.5 CM shoulders .004” below factory length. Forster dies barely bump. You might have an issue with Forster. What die do you have?

You should not have any problems. In my experience Redding dies bump 6.5 CM shoulders .004” below factory length. Forster dies barely bump. You might have an issue with Forster. What die do you have?
Redding Type S FL Bushing

Are you sure it fully fire formed?
Does the fired brass still chamber?
If the 1× fired brass still chambers I don't think I'd bump the shoulder back.
YMMV but sometimes it takes 2 maybe 3 firings before it's fully formed.

Reactions: Doom
Are you sure it fully fire formed?
Does the fired brass still chamber?
If the 1× fired brass still chambers I don't think I'd bump the shoulder back.
YMMV but sometimes it takes 2 maybe 3 firings before it's fully formed.
It’s only once fired so probably not, I plan on only bumping about a .001 just to give me a little more clearance. This is for PRS gun so it needs a little tolerance to move around to account for dirt, water, etc.

A good test would be to load up a couple of pieces of brass with only neck size and fire them. Repeat until they are hard to chamber. Then you could bump back whatever you wanted.
Right now you could be .003 off or more as it is.

The best advice I have for you is to try removing your ejector and firing pin when checking headspace for your rifle. That way you will absolutely know if the bolt will close easily or not. It seems like a lot to do but its not. Especially on new brass. Wheeler precision has a video on it and I'll tell you it can save you grief. Plus you don't have to do it every time once you get your measurements and know exactly how far the shoulder needs bumped back in the future.