• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor and 130 VLD's

jeffersonv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
SoCal
I'm looking for reviews.
Has anyone tried these? I did a search but didn't find anything.
I'm thinking they might be worth a try to see if they can top the 140's and at what ranges.
It's more of an intellectual pursuit right now which is probably good because I don't see any decent 6.5 bullets available right now.

Thanks.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor and 130 VLD's

I like them in my .260. From my point of view, they have the BC of a 139 Scenar, but can be pushed just a little faster. I think many don't shoot them because of their reputation of being harder to make shoot, but I didn't have any issue in my rifle. I tried a single load progression a little off the lands, and it shot well enough that I never touched it again. I will need some more before long, though, Berger needs to start pumping them out!

All I can say is they shoot lights out in my 6.5 CM, but then everything I have tried in it does.
I have some load and chrono data I will pass along via PM to you.
The caveat here is that I have not done a bunch of shooting at really long range with the 130 VLD because I shoot the 142 SMK mostly.

I've tried the 130 JLK, Berger 130 VLD, and the 130 Norma VLD with both H4350 and RL17 at a wide range of charge weights and seating depths and I can't get any of them to shoot well in my 260 except when soft-seating into the lands. The 139 Scenar shoots tiny ragged holes and the 140 AMAX shoots quite acceptably in the same gun, both with very little work-up at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like them in my .260. From my point of view, they have the BC of a 139 Scenar, but can be pushed just a little faster. I think many don't shoot them because of their reputation of being harder to make shoot, but I didn't have any issue in my rifle. I tried a single load progression a little off the lands, and it shot well enough that I never touched it again. I will need some more before long, though, Berger needs to start pumping them out! </div></div>

They have been getting them out finally. I have 126 boxes left out of the 300 the shipped us in late Jan.

I don't think RL17 is the way with the lighter bullets in 6.5 caliber.
I get best results with RL17 and the 140-142 bullets.
So far I stayed with H4350 for the 130's and it is working.

I too am wanting to try the 130vld's in my 6.5CM. I don't know if I'll really gain much over the 139 Scenar's or 140 Amax's.

2900+fps should be an easy/safe speed to hit out of my 26" 8 twist. Should shoot slightly flatter than the 139/140.

I'll order a box when available and try them with 4350.

Just got my creedmoor boltgun up and its a short throated biatch!

From what I've seen from the first 50 or so rounds I'll be jusst fine with 140 Amax's and 139 Scenars. I leave the chasing an extra 1/18th moa if you do your part to others.

Additionally, I hate falling in love with any component that isn't readily available, all the time. Doesn't matter to me if it shoots a little better, if I can;t be shooting....

Agreed on components but these days everything seems to run in cycles.
I had no trouble getting the 130 VLD when I got them but I understand Berger has been retooling on the 6.5 bullets.
I seem to have taken great favor with SMK over the last couple of years. Less expensive and serve me well. Seldom hard to get too.

Box of 130 VLD's are on their way. I'll let you know how they shoot compared to the 139 Scenars and the 140 Amax.

Loaded 50rds in .5 grain increments of 4350, 42.5-44.5. Kreiger 26", 1-8. Hunting VLD's.

2.875 OAL, .038 jump, long as I could go and still mag feed.

44.5 very accurate
ave-2957
SD-5.4

No pressure signs in my rifle.

I shot this yesterday at 300m with my RD Precision 6.5 Creedmoor and 130 VLD's.

I don't know what the load was as it's a custom load from Andrew McCourt.

It you measure all 10 rounds it works out to better then 1/2 MOA if you take the cluster of 7 and ignore my "choke" rounds (they were the last 3 I shot, I was a bit excited) it's better then 1/4 MOA.

396056_439678096084088_258133406_n.jpg