• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor and 140 amax

Re: 6.5 creedmoor and 140 amax

I haven't run these in a 6.5 CM yet, but everything I've read so far leads me to believe the AMAX bullet doesn't really care. I'd personally steer away from jamming a bullet. I do understand that the Berger VLDs like to be jammed. I'm planning on runnin' 139 scenars in my 6.5 CM and they don't mind a jump.

Have you checked out Hodgdon 4350 ? That's different than IMR 4350 btw. A lot of folks are having great luck with that. Some folks are runnin' 123's with Varget and I believe in the .260/6.5x47/6.5 CM thread in the loading depot a guy had GREAT results with H4831SC.

There's been a lot of chatter about RL17 and temperatures. I haven't read anything that is definitive but it seems like RL17 can give you some outstanding velocities but may vary with temp a bit.

I have a ton of varget that i will be trying but would like to use RL17 if i can. But if it varies with temp a lot that wouldnt be so great here in utah, single digits in the winter and triple digits in the summer.

H4350 is the powder I'm getting recommended by many. I just tried up to 41.8gr without any problems. I just ran a quick test to check for pressure and was loaded at mag length (2.805") for my POF piston, so I don't have any chrono/accuracy results for you. Was shooting at 100* and everything seemed alright.

I opted for H4350 over RL17 because of the same kind of temp swings you will see up there.....

I used RL17 with mine with good results velocity wise, but poor ES/SD numbers. The accuracy would sometimes be great, sometimes not. I also got big shifts in velocity/pressure with temperature.

I abandoned the RL17 and went to H4350, then H4831sc. Out of the two, I stuck with the 4831sc. It has been low pressure and crazy consistent, with single ES/SD numbers. I took about a 100fps hit in velocity, but speed ain't shit w/o consistency...

You'll be better served with a Hodgdon powder IMO

As far as seating depth, I just run mine ten to fifteen thou off lands.

Yeah, go with the H4350. I had R22 go too hot in my 6mm Rem LR rifle. Cost me a couple high 7s at 1K when the puller took forever, and the barrel was hot. I also don't chamber the round until the target comes back up, nowadays.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used RL17 with mine with good results velocity wise, but poor ES/SD numbers. The accuracy would sometimes be great, sometimes not. I also got big shifts in velocity/pressure with temperature.

I abandoned the RL17 and went to H4350, then H4831sc. Out of the two, I stuck with the 4831sc. It has been low pressure and crazy consistent, with single ES/SD numbers. I took about a 100fps hit in velocity, but speed ain't shit w/o consistency...

You'll be better served with a Hodgdon powder IMO</div></div>

what grain load did you settle on with the 4831sc? I have about 5 pounds of it and a Creedmoor in the works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used RL17 with mine with good results velocity wise, but poor ES/SD numbers. The accuracy would sometimes be great, sometimes not. I also got big shifts in velocity/pressure with temperature.

what grain load did you settle on with the 4831sc? I have about 5 pounds of it and a Creedmoor in the works. </div></div>

I really don't remember off the top of my head, and don't want to guess. All my reloading gear is packed away right now due to some remodeling. If you search through my posts in the reloading section, I think I may have discussed it once before.

edit: I looked, didn't find the actual charge. I'll get it for you in a couple weeks though.

Go with the 139 Lapua, better bullet IMO.

My load in a 28" Kreiger
41.8 H4350
139 Lapua
10 thou off lands
vel 2815

It's a laser.

I've had better luck with the Nosler 140 custom comp bullets over the A-Maxes. I've been getting one hole groupes out of my Creedmoor with H-4831, Varget,and IMR-4064. I just couldn't get the A-Max to shoot as consistant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the 139 Lapua, better bullet IMO.

My load in a 28" Kreiger
41.8 H4350
139 Lapua
10 thou off lands
vel 2815

It's a laser. </div></div>

That's good stuff right there. I'm going with a 24" barrel and I'm hoping to hot rod the cartridge just enough to safely get to 2800.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used RL17 with mine with good results velocity wise, but poor ES/SD numbers. The accuracy would sometimes be great, sometimes not. I also got big shifts in velocity/pressure with temperature.

what grain load did you settle on with the 4831sc? I have about 5 pounds of it and a Creedmoor in the works. </div></div>

46.5 grains / 139 Scenar / Fed 210m primer

2790 fps avg
ES 7 SD 9
out of 20 rounds

Ok I loaded some more rounds to be just touching the lands ish. Iloaded from 41-43 grains of rl 17, I want to be able to push this cartridge a little. Will report when I get home tonight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

46.5 grains / 139 Scenar / Fed 210m primer

2790 fps avg
ES 7 SD 9
out of 20 rounds
</div></div>

thanks jrose, I have a ton of 4831sc and I really wanted to use it.