• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor and .308 for hunting

Sminja19

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2019
The Gem State
Hi all!
I’m an experienced carbine, pistol, and long range shooter with a good grasp on the basics of ballistics. I don’t reload yet but I’d like to! I’m just looking to learn, so if I ask dumb questions kindly take them with a grain of salt!

So my questions are twofold

1. When it comes to REAL terminal ballistics, not marketing hype, what are the differences between the 6.5 Creed and .308, and how big is the gap? Pictures welcome

2. With reloading as the goal, but factory ammo being the current reality, what factory bullets, weights and specifics loads do the real work in regards to terminal ballistics?

Feel free to answer one, both, or none of the questions! Thankful for all help and knowledge!

For the distances I’m will to walk to recover game……..both have worked. Max shot taken 380 yds (6.5cm) And I was a HUGE mistake. I had to make that walk 8 times, across a draw….so uphill both ways.

for bullets, avoid target, choose hunting.

Reactions: Sminja19
For the distances I’m will to walk to recover game……..both have worked. Max shot taken 380 yds (6.5cm) And I was a HUGE mistake. I had to make that walk 8 times, across a draw….so uphill both ways.

for bullets, avoid target, choose hunting.
What bullets have you had good results with?

Having shot game at distances to 450 with both calibers it’s a toss up on deer and antelope with a well placed shot. Up the ante to elk and I’m 308 all day long. I hunted for years with an old rancher who was introduced to the 308 when he was in the service shooting M14’s. I can say without hesitation he probably shot more deer and elk with a 308 than most of us will ever get opportunities. In his hands it’s a killing machine. 165 or 180 factory loads. He didn’t care and I never saw a head of game walk away from it.

Sounds like pigs.
Jump to 3:40
Jump to 3:15
Both work which one will you get the most use out of? Planning on any long range target/steel (over 1000yds) then maybe 6.5
Shotgun from 3 feet works too but not recommended skip to 1:30

The gap with a .308 is about 0.044” larger than the 6.5mm, or 1.12mm. Bullet construction, shot placement, kinetic energy, nebulous internet argument over knockdown power, expansion versus penetration, energy transfer, weight retention..I’ll need some coffee for this one.

Sounds like pigs.
Jump to 3:40
Jump to 3:15
Both work which one will you get the most use out of? Planning on any long range target/steel (over 1000yds) then maybe 6.5
Shotgun from 3 feet works too but not recommended skip to 1:30

Would like to avoid the 3 foot engagement if I can 😂

I’ve had a lot of experience out to 1200 on my 6.5 boltgun, a PRS/Tactical build. New to .308 for the most part! I have a LMT MWS with a 16” .308 barrel as well as a 20” 6.5 barrel, so both are on the table! I know I’ll have fun and success at long range with the 6.5, and .308 will work with a little effort, but also new to hunting. So looking for the best out of each, and where their respective windows of performance are!

The gap with a .308 is about 0.044” larger than the 6.5mm, or 1.12mm. Bullet construction, shot placement, kinetic energy, nebulous internet argument over knockdown power, expansion versus penetration, energy transfer, weight retention..I’ll need some coffee for this one.
You and me both! Just trying to cut through the personal bias and learn as much as I can

I don’t notice much of a difference with ELD-X bullets. Have taken at least ten white tail with each. Haven’t had one go through heavy bone in the shoulder yet. All lung/heart shots and the furthest I’ve had one run is about 150 yard to a creek bottom. I will say 7RM with the 162 ELD-X seems to be a great combo for them not running far at all.
+1 for the 162 eldx in 7 rem mag

Both will harvest anything in North America up to and including elk. And Moose. Kodiak bears at short range… I’d hesitate a bit to make sure I had cover or a fat guide who is slower than me.

.308 has probably been Americas number 1 hunting cartridge since the early ‘80s. 6.5… is just fine.

Sirhr

Anything 300yds or closer I use a 130gr Barnes TTSX, bullet tipped. 2850fps out of same barrel.

About a 1" group at 100 amd gold dots are about .75" group at same distance.

Solid copper bullet and very devastating.

Doc

I'm a Berger HUnting VLD or Classic hunter guy. From 115gr. in a 25/06 through 210 gr in a 300 rum along with both calibers you're asking about they have never let me down. Lots of whitetail, pronghorn, a couple black bear have all fallen to these.

I’m building a new rifle, but my 308 is good beyond ranges I’d want to shoot game at, and it takes some energy down rage, plus 7.62x51 can be easily sourced for not too much in a pinch

Think ether would work fine for taking out most of anything in N America, but for me I like my 308, IMHO if 308 won’t cut it (when it comes to ethically taking something) I go 338LM, honestly if you’re in New England a 223 will work on the dog sized deer just fine as long as you’re not Mr Maguu 😂

Custom JP 223W in northern deer season
B79-DE138-2-BB9-46-A4-AA1-B-8-A37735-C725-F.jpg

Heck, doesn’t 30-30 still have the record for most deer kills?

Last edited:
I'm a Berger HUnting VLD or Classic hunter guy. From 115gr. in a 25/06 through 210 gr in a 300 rum along with both calibers you're asking about they have never let me down. Lots of whitetail, pronghorn, a couple black bear have all fallen to these.
Noted, will have to check those out! Any thoughts on the EOL Hunting rounds from Berger?

You cowardly pussies and your guns.

Real men drop out of a tree with their heal against the animal’s neck, snapping it right at the base of the skull.
A 14” Bowie knife ready in the hand to slice the bilateral carotids and end the life so fast and humane it makes women swoon like they just saw a baby when you tell them the story.

A spear is acceptable too. As is a bow, but only tradtional. This sight and “mechanical release” crap and mechanical razors on the business end of an arrow is for the less skilled hunter.
Y'all Spend all your time target shooting. Try spending more practicing being the Indian.
Not a weak ass paleface who sleeps on a cot in a wall tent.

And get in shape.
Run 3 miles in 21 min or less, 50 push ups (in a row pilgrim, and 10 pull-ups in a row before you go Elk hunting.

otherwise keep your noisy, heavy breathing ass outta the woods.

We shoot a decent amount of whitetail every year on crop permits. Shot with 6.5/260/308/300/338. Most kills are with the 308 followed by the 6.5/260’s

For a shorter barrel 308 would be my top pick.

I run 150 SST, 180 SST, 178 ELDX, 200 ELDX 30 cal bullets. For closer ranges the SST will do very well.

You and me both! Just trying to cut through the personal bias and learn as much as I can
I think that was a tongue and cheek way of saying there is basically no difference. Which for hunting, there is basically no difference. For pigs for 308 pretty much any factory hunting ammo will work fine, same for 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of guys shoot them with 223s.

Back to the ops question re hunting. At typical hunting distances the 308 has more punch. The 6.5 does not start to shine till you hit 600 yards.
If you have a 6.5 no need to run out and buy a 308 if you have a 308 you are covered. If you have a 30-06 you are really covered.

In the near future, hogs from 10-100 yards. But as I get farther into hunting, deer, antelope, and others!
7.62x39 about 90 yards with 123g HP. This was the day I went from 308 to x39.....piled trailers high and deep with that rig. Dang just realized how old this pic is didn't even have my first suppressor and old Pulsar mount. If you are out on cockroach control and patrol a lot of stuff will work if you put it where it needs to be. I got tired of wasting $$ on sounders of hogs the x39 was more than capable and a great plinker too, but deer/lope etc heck that 308 is still an awfully effective pill.

IMG_5803.JPG
IMG_5807.JPG

Hi all!
I’m an experienced carbine, pistol, and long range shooter with a good grasp on the basics of ballistics. I don’t reload yet but I’d like to! I’m just looking to learn, so if I ask dumb questions kindly take them with a grain of salt!

1. When it comes to REAL terminal ballistics, not marketing hype, what are the differences between the 6.5 Creed and .308, and how big is the gap? Pictures welcome

2. With reloading as the goal, but factory ammo being the current reality, what factory bullets, weights and specifics loads do the real work in regards to terminal ballistics?

Feel free to answer one, both, or none of the questions! Thankful for all help and knowledge!
1. Not very big. I'll cause a kerfuffle and say they are basically the same (for hunting). Its like the old 270 vs 30-06 debate...

2. There is not a magic bullet weight/load. A well designed bullet does its job. I won't go to say any bullet will do--obviously get a hunting bullet. But if one were significantly better--we'd all be on it. Core-Lokt Rems did a fine job, no deer turned on me and said 'get the weak ass 60s shit outta here'

My son took his 1st doe at 217 yards with my Mk12 shooting Mk262 Mod1 - on video... dropped her right in her tracks.
I've also seen a GORGEOUS 10 pt taken on the same ranch at just about the same distance with a 6.5 Grendel.

The point being: whitetails aren't that hard to kill.

I hunt with my Suppressed FN SPR in .308.
DSC_5812.JPG

The difference is a very little. It's not the hardest thing to decide. If you like the 308 better than that is the one you want. If you like the 6.5 Creedmoor better than choose it. Basically it comes down to what caliber is your favorite. I have shot both calibers and I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Attachments

• IMG_20210301_213046944.jpg
    IMG_20210301_213046944.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: JD. martin
Hi all!

.308 on Elk. One shot kill at 415 yards. Barnes TTSX 180 gn.

I love my creedmore. And shoot it often on our 1000 to 1400 yd precision gong range. But for hunting at normal ranges I think you will find the Winchester is a more effective cartridge. The 6.5 acts more Ike a 257 Roberts than a .308. The old Winchester Power Points excellent choice for 308 on game. Brass jacket w flash coating of copper supports mushroom like a premium bullet.

What factory round or specific bullet/grain have you had solid results from? Will be coming out of a 16” barrel for now
I have probably shot as many deer with my AR10 308 with 16" barrel as with all my other rifles combined. Farthest deer was 447 yds. And I have shot a different 16" successfully at 1000 with factory Federal 168 SMK. For hunting, I have had excellent results with 178 gr A-Max bullets loaded by Freedom Munitions. Almost every deer dropped within a few feet of where it was shot. I don't think they are loading this round anymore though. Hornady 165 SST worked OK but I have yet to have one that didn't run a ways before dropping. 150 gr Sierra Game Kings and 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips work well. Cheapo Remington 150 gr Cor-Lokt are not only accurate but deadly. When factory ammo was cheaper, I didn't mind buying it. But now I will just load my own. I got some Hammers to try and may try some Barnes TTSX although I usually just load the Barnes for my 300 WM for elk.

Hi all!

I'm an M14 / 308 guy myself. Wind calls can be iffy with a 308 at distance. 6.5 is a wind cheater. My Grandfather's quote using a 32 Win Special, saddle model, lever action, " Let him get closer Eric. That way we don't have to carry too far." I like to use the Momentum formula vs the Energy formula. I believe it is a better representation of what will actually happen on target. I've dropped a few Mule Deer from the back of a horse, 50 to 75 yards out with a lever action Marlin 30-30. Literally knocked them "asshole over teakettle." Not having shot a 6.5 at anything but paper, my thoughts are the round would leave a pencil hole with a boat load of tracking. There is a reason the 308 is nicknamed "Thor's Hammer."

This is starting to read like some BARF15.com thread. Can we now put this false notion in to bed, that 30 cal has some magical killing ability?

Cartridge Animals # of Shots Moose Travel*
6.5x55 2,792 1.57 43
7mm Rem. Mag. 107 1.32 40
.308 WCF 1,314 1.67 41
.30-06 2,829 1.57 47
.300 Win. Mag. 27 1.83 16
8x57 575 1.53 57
.338 Win. Mag. 83 1.20 31
.358 Norma 219 1.16 19
9.3x57 134 1.50 41
9.3x62 449 1.50 34
.375 H&H 211 1.33 31

Some information from the killing of 10k moose and the distance they traveled after shot.

"Hammer of Thor" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I haven't heard that one, Granpa gun, three o hate, and "flying pig" But never "hammer of thor."

Reactions: Im2bent